IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 09:27 PM
uclabrruin
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default microswitch

hi all, i'm looking to upgrade my second car from the '05 solara i have now to an IS350C. my only fear is this potentially expensive top issue and i have a question that i haven't been able to find the answer for yet; this microswitch problem, was it more common in the early models, the '10's and '11's? did they (hopefully) later sort it out by the time the '14's or '15's came out? thanks
The following users liked this post:
richnucci57 (07-23-23)
Old 04-05-20, 11:35 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't know if the microswitch was ever a big (or small) problem. While I may have been "blessed" to have been bent over and having it jammed up my rear end, three quarters plus of the problem is that Toyota/Lexus refuses to make parts for an assembly available, forcing you to buy the entire, overpriced assembly. The biggest problem was that the top was noisey, the top had squeaks and rattles. That seems to have been resolved.
Old 06-01-21, 08:32 AM
Sarakevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 IS 250C roof works "sometimes." When it works, it works. When it doesn't, I get no alerts such as op suspended, trunk board not in place, safe space to operate or anything else that would indicate the top can't open or close. It just doesn't function. I'm new to the forum. Any hints? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
richnucci57 (07-23-23)
Old 06-01-21, 01:42 PM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarakevo
My 2010 IS 250C roof works "sometimes." When it works, it works. When it doesn't, I get no alerts such as op suspended, trunk board not in place, safe space to operate or anything else that would indicate the top can't open or close. It just doesn't function. I'm new to the forum. Any hints? Thanks.
The roof switch it self could be bad.
Old 06-10-21, 08:37 AM
HedOvrWhls
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sarakevo
Get yourself a copy of tech stream and a cable (cost like $25 on amazon) and scan for roof codes.
Old 07-01-21, 12:02 PM
cfauvel
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HedOvrWhls
Get yourself a copy of tech stream and a cable (cost like $25 on amazon) and scan for roof codes.
Do you have a link ?
Old 07-02-21, 05:19 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
This is not the same problem that I had, it is a different part in a different location

Deniis
What tool/software are you using to get these screenshots?
Old 07-02-21, 08:31 AM
cfauvel
Driver

It would be nice if Toyota would sell the little wire harness with the 2 switches on it. One screw attaches each switch to the mechanism and 2 or 3 zip ties attached the wires to the mechanism. You don't need the metal plate.

Seriously YES it would

Looking at the black holder solely, I bet one could replicate them in either 3d printing or CNC them out of aluminum. Sourcing the switch is the tricky part. I saw a video on a BMW retractable hardtop and the issue wasn't the switch but a cut wire....the hard part is finding the electrical schematics and scanner tool that is sophisticated enough to override certain functions ....such as having the tool force a trunk open command when the ECU wants to keep the trunk closed because the sensors are telling it that a condition is such that the trunk SHOULD stay closed.

grrrr did I make a mistake buying a used IS250c?
Old 07-06-21, 09:35 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by cfauvel
Deniis
What tool/software are you using to get these screenshots?
I have portions of the service manual on my computer and those are screen captures. I use a Windows machine but I would think that a MAC can do the same thing.
Old 07-06-21, 09:45 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by cfauvel
Seriously YES it would

Looking at the black holder solely, I bet one could replicate them in either 3d printing or CNC them out of aluminum. Sourcing the switch is the tricky part. I saw a video on a BMW retractable hardtop and the issue wasn't the switch but a cut wire....the hard part is finding the electrical schematics and scanner tool that is sophisticated enough to override certain functions ....such as having the tool force a trunk open command when the ECU wants to keep the trunk closed because the sensors are telling it that a condition is such that the trunk SHOULD stay closed.

grrrr did I make a mistake buying a used IS250c?
My car hasn't been that much of a problem. Other than the ridiculously expensive convertible top repair because of a failed $1 part, the car has not been a problem.

If you want a "scanner tool" to do things with, you should get the Toyota Techstream scanner. As others have said, you can buy it on ebay. It is a program that runs on your laptop and uses a cable to connect to the OBD port..
Old 07-07-21, 06:16 AM
cfauvel
Driver

My car hasn't been that much of a problem. Other than the ridiculously expensive convertible top repair because of a failed $1 part, the car has not been a problem.

If you want a "scanner tool" to do things with, you should get the Toyota Techstream scanner. As others have said, you can buy it on ebay. It is a program that runs on your laptop and uses a cable to connect to the OBD port..
Thanks for the TechStream advice....been reading some scary reviews on what is found on ebay....sounds like they are pirated versions and some laced with spyware (at best), ransomware (at worst). I think I'm going to get a cheap laptop and run a Virtual Machine for the software.

On a positive note..after cleaning the main switch at the dash with CRC Electrical cleaner (took the switch out and took it apart, ridiculously simple and ridiculously expensive (there IS a circuit board in there with just 2 contacts)), the top has been going up and down consistently (knock on wood).

UPDATE: well the fix didn't last long. However, a new switch did, in fact, fix it for a longer period than previous fix and, knock on wood, is still working.

Last edited by cfauvel; 10-14-21 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 09:18 PM
PeterSnoqu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2011 IS250C convertible issues

I read through the thread, our issue seems the same, but slightly different. We usually garage the car, but it has been out at night a bit. Two nights ago we had some frost and the following morning we received the "ob not completed" message (that isn't toyally correct text). The top is up, secure, but we get the warning light and the ding ding while driving. When trying to operate the roof (open/close) we get the message that the trunk cover was not in place.The and dash switch would not open to trunk. I was able to find the manual open between the back seat head rests, use the metal key and get in the trunk. Put the trunk cover (what ever that is called) in place. Stated the car and still get the same message. We are now trying to use a blow dryer around the window seams, maybe a contact was damaged by the frost. We are in a suburb of Seattle, nice to have the top up at least. We do really like the car and would like to avoid the dealer.

Any hint appreciated. I have been to the UK site as well. Our issue just sounds a bit different. I have an ODCII reader, but that isn't pulling roof codes.

Appreciate any guidance

Peter.
Old 10-13-21, 09:34 PM
PeterSnoqu
Driver School Candidate

Well, I went downstairs. Car has been in the garage a couple days, opened trunk again, dried all the remaining liquid off the seals to the trunk, re-set the trunk cover. Jumped in, started it up and it worked. Felt like we dodged a bullet as my VW is acting up as well.

Problem resolved.
Old 10-19-21, 11:22 AM
PeterSnoqu
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-up

Problem not solved for long. Next drive the light came back on. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad switch. Feeling ill
Old 10-19-21, 11:46 AM
PeterSnoqu
Driver School Candidate

So, the switch is part of the LH Rear Luggage Door Hinge Assembly. Underneath the trunk lid. The they need to order is LE64520-53050. I will continue to review messages above and on other sites, but work calls for now.

Quick Reply: convertible top problem