IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 04:59 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Replacing battery

We have a '13 IS250C, only 50K miles. Battery will no longer hold a charge, no matter how I charge it. So time for a new one (already!). I really wanted to upgrade to an AGM battery, found a nice one at Batteries Plus. But it doesn't fit. Never seen a tray like this one, it is a tight fit, right against the firewall, with a plastic sleeve that drops over the battery. I guess the sleeve is no big deal but I would really like to keep it since I'm fussy.

Has anybody found a good battery that fits? Not crazy about having Lexus replace it, they want $150 which I don't mind, but at this point I have no way to get the car there. Closest dealer is over an hour away and I'm nervous about trying to drive that far on a dead battery.

I'm kinda pissed that we paid extra to get this car under CPO warranty, but it doesn't cover the battery.
Old 09-27-17, 09:36 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

I just replaced my battery a month ago and had a similar problem where I could not put that sleeve over the battery because the battery had some extra plastic on the sides that made small handles. Got a saw and cut them off - problem solved.

The battery is group 24 size, specifically 24SC. I guess the SC means no extra handles or stuff. I couldn't find a 24SC, which is why I got a plain vanilla group 24 battery.
Old 09-29-17, 10:43 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Thanks for your reply. I called the local Toyota dealer and they were no help, but they did confirm it is a Group 24 battery. The AGM one we tried on Tuesday was supposed to be a Group 24, but there is no way it would fit, even without the sleeve.

I was about to give up and just got to AutoZone for a battery, just to get the darned car back on the road. Then I remembered that I have an account with Consumer Reports, so I looked up Group 24 batteries. They had Sears as the best choice, but I'm not going there since that entire chain is on death watch at this point. Interstate was on the recommended list, so I found a local dealer, they had one in stock. Fit is perfect, they do make a good battery.
Old 09-29-17, 07:27 PM
DennisMik
Racer

I bought my battery at Costco. They used to sell batteries under their own name and were highly rated by Consumers. Now they sell Interstate branded batteries. I was so disappointed to see that. The battery only has a 36 month warranty. If I wasn't stranded, I would have gone elsewhere.
Old 10-15-17, 07:23 AM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Has anybody found a good battery that fits? Not crazy about having Lexus replace it, they want $150 which I don't mind, but at this point I have no way to get the car there. Closest dealer is over an hour away and I'm nervous about trying to drive that far on a dead battery.

I'm kinda pissed that we paid extra to get this car under CPO warranty, but it doesn't cover the battery.
Here is a tip...BTW $150 for an OEM battery + install doesnt seem too bad. My car is 2010 and its coming on the failure threshold for time but has shown no issues. If I can get a replacement for $150 i would actually let lexus do it.

This is a quick example - buy a portable battery pack for jump starting. I do not endorse this model... I simply found the first one on a seach for example purposes. I am sure there is better values out there.

Amazon Amazon

Get a traditional jump start from another car and keep this one in your trunk then head off to the dealer worry free. PS - everybody should have a portable jump pack in thier trunk IMO
Old 10-15-17, 08:36 AM
DennisMik
Racer

If you think your battery is about to fail, why bother spending the extra $40 - $75 for a jump starter pack? Just get the battery replaced and you won't have an extra thing bouncing around in the trunk.
Old 05-21-18, 09:16 AM
PapaCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch AGM 24-710BAGM

I hope you guys won't get jealous, but I've had my original battery since I bought my new IS250C in 2011, and it never gave me a problem. I hook it up to a trickle charger until its fully charged about once a week. However, I'm getting nervous, as I never heard of a battery lasting seven years (62,000 miles). Has anyone replaced their OEM with a Bosch Platinum Series AGM , part # 24-710BAGM? Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-18, 11:22 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

7 years is a good run, depending on the usage and temperature exposure. Extreme heat and cold is brutal on batteries.

I bought an Optima red top in 1999, used it in a truck that I parted out it 2003, moved it to another truck, that I drove until 2010. Then it sat in my garage for almost 4 years never being charged, nothing. Then in 2014 I pulled it out, put it on a charger for a day, and put it in a vehicle. Started right up, and ran for another year until it finally started giving me signs of failing (wouldn't hold a charge). So... 15 years on a battery is my record. Unfortunately Optimas are not what they used to be, I wouldn't buy one again.

No experience with the Bosch batteries. I have a massive group 31 Odyssey AGM in my Land Cruiser now, seems like a well made battery. I like how the Bosch has the handle built-in, the Interstate I got for our IS doesn't have that, makes it very challenging to remove and install.
The following users liked this post:
PapaCat (05-22-18)
Old 05-22-18, 08:13 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

My ISC just turned 9,500 miles

needed new battery
went with interstate