Hiding your smart key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 04:06 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Hiding your smart key fob

--

I have been known to misplace my car keys more than once over the years. With the modern key fob, misplacing means no entry to your car and no starting either. So what to do.

I started with two active factory key fobs. One will be left intact for everyday use. The other I stored in the right rear corner of the trunk under the floor mat. It doesn't seem to be close enough to operate the door or trunk unlock function as when it’s held in my hand or pocket. Then I can take out the bladed key and put it in a magnetic box to be stored somewhere under the vehicle. Or, the key could be taken with you if you want to just carry a key instead of the whole smart key fob. When I return, I open the driver's door with the key after popping off the cover (which is kind of a pain, but not a big deal if only used when locked out), open the trunk with the dash button, and retrieve the fob. In my case (since of course I need a fob to start the engine). I'll be using my other fob most of the time. So this key/fob separation is only for emergencies like a lost regular use fob. It could also be used if your fob battery dies and you don’t have any spare in the glove compartment. Plus, the nice thing about this method is that you don’t have to hope a spouse is around with a duplicate fob or someone can go to your house, get your backup, and bring it to you (who the heck are you going to get to do that?).

In the slight chance there is some transmitting from the stored fob, or that someone with a code interceptor (or whatever they’re called) that can trace a fob’s code and start your car, I am using a Faraday bag (an RF bag) like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDD35GH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDD35GH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The question here is will that particular pouch work. Most reviewers are satisfied, but some find they don't give any shielding at all. Hard to know.

And what if someone finds your carry or magnetic stored key? Will they know what to do with it? Unlikely. But so what. They can’t start the car unless they have the fob and they won’t know where that is.

Let me know if you see any problems with my protection method.

--
Old 02-01-21, 05:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

OMG...I read all that.

Ok...can I offer a simpler solution...get a Wallet Smart key card and put it in your wallet. Assuming you don't tend to misplace your wallet and it's in your pocket, then this would be a simple solution.
Also the wallet smart key card has a blade key...so even if you don't decide to use the card, for whatever reason, you can still get the key cut to use with your door.

No need to leave a key in the car or hide the blade key anywhere.
Hell, with the wallet key card you don't even need to take a key with you...just your wallet.

I believe you have the Convertible according to your profile, so it's actually a second generation IS that was carried over to 2014 and 2015.
You should be able to easily get the card key from the dealer...cut and programmed.

Here is where you can find the convertible forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-c-244/
Old 02-01-21, 05:45 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

Not sure what you meant by "OMG...I read all that." Am I limited to a certain number of words? Am I not supposed to give a thorough description of what I'm proposing?

Anyway, if I were to get a Wallet Smart Key, I would have to buy one I don't have. I haven't checked the cost--I know the cost last summer for one regular fob for a VW was $75. plus $100. for programming. I already have two fobs for the IS350c that came with the car I just bought. But you seem to miss the whole purpose. I stated in the first two sentences why I wanted protection. Having a Wallet Key would not change losing it.

Maybe some folks are lucky, but during the last 64 years of driving, I've lost or temporarily misplaced the key or been locked out of my RV, motorcycle, cars, Jeep, pick up and even my house and had to use a back-up or "hidden key". I'm trying to think I've learned something by being prepared when it can be so much cheaper than hiring a locksmith.

--
Old 02-01-21, 06:04 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

What I meant by that was to say it was a very thorough and lengthy description of the issue you are tackling...typically posts are somewhat short and don't necessarily have all the information, which then leads to a bunch of questions.

Maybe I should have explained the wallet card in more detail...it's a Smart Key that is literally the size of a credit card. It has a blade key in it, and would be permanently placed in your wallet. (see pic below...there is a regular key fob, a Starbucks card, and the Wallet key card)
In the event you misplace the every day use key, and even the second key, this is a third key that you will always know the location of...in your wallet.
I realize it's not a key you have right now, and you are trying to solve an issue with the two keys you already have for the vehicle...but rather than a complicated solution that involves hidden key boxes (which could fall or be discovered), leaving a fob in the car, and faraday bag, this would offer a reasonable easy solution.

If you can leave a key within your car and lock it, that's not good. The vehicle is not only designed to detect the key when it's outside the vehicle at certain spots (doors and trunk), but also anywhere inside the car...so you don't accidently lock the key in the car.
Also, if the key fob battery ever dies completely, to start the vehicle, simply put the Smart key logo side to the Push Start button, and press the button with the other hand...the vehicle can detect the key right next to the Start button even when the battery is dead.

Old 02-01-21, 06:27 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--
Note:
1. I don't always carry my wallet.
2. I have accidently locked my wallet inside my car.
3. To use a wallet key, I would have to purchase another key.
4. The Faraday bag, and sometimes even tinfoil, prevents any signal leaving the fob in the trunk.
5. You can always carry the extra fob key with you if you want. A key box is just one alternative.
6. Maybe when swimming you don't want to carry a card.

The wallet key does not solve the problem of losing a key! That's the whole point!

(Also, some moderator moved this thread over to IS350c, but it was intended to be a general solution for ALL IS owners. Maybe even a solution for all Lexus owners. That's why I posted it where I did originally.)
--
Old 02-01-21, 06:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

1. I don't always carry my wallet. - Unfortunately when I'm out with my vehicle I always have my wallet on me cause my Drivers license is in it...so not having my wallet with me is not an option
2. I have accidently locked my wallet inside my car. - If the Wallet Smart key was in your wallet then that can't happen
3. To use a wallet key, I would have to purchase another key. - Fair point
4. The Faraday bag, and sometimes even tinfoil, prevents any signal leaving the fob in the trunk. - Fair point...I forgot about the bag momentarily
5. You can always carry the extra fob key with you if you want. A key box is just one alternative. - Sure
6. Maybe when swimming you don't want to carry a card. - The same could be said for the key fob, so not really a valid reason

On the premise that this is a solution to a problem for all IS owners, or all Lexus owners, then it would be a solution for all vehicles with Smart keys.
Respectively, it's not a global problem...that requires a global solution.

I'm going to unsubscribe from the thread now...best of luck with your new vehicle, I hope you enjoy the convertible, it does seem like a very nice vehicle.