IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Buy Ready Painted Mirror or Have One Painted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 01:38 PM
MrEagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy Ready Painted Mirror or Have One Painted?

The driver's side mirror on my daughter's 2014 IS 250 C was whacked and needs to be replaced. I see unpainted replacements for around $100 and painted, ready to go mirrors for $400 or more.

I've also seen recommendations that I should buy the unpainted version, and take it and the car to a body shop where it can be properly color matched exactly to the car. It looks as though a paint shop will charge $200 to $300 for this. Allegedly, this is the better way to go because a 7 year old car will have experienced some fading and a mirror painted to factory paint codes won't quite match.

So...
  1. Any truth to the paint matching issues?
  2. Experience in doing it one way or the other?
  3. Recommendations for a supplier for either way?

Many thanks.
Old 06-25-21, 09:29 PM
ronkelley
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

Does she drive a show car that has to be perfect? If so, the paint shop is the way to go. If she has a daily driver, then a couple of thoughts--first, if the color is slightly off, who's going to notice, and, if they do, what are they going to say? Second, it is always possible to paint the mirrors a complimenting color as is your grill or wheels and can be done with a spray can. (I've used them to where only an expert would notice.)

And you can always get matching paint from a company on line that makes those colors in a spray can. Then coat it with a clear coat to have the same shine. Since the mirror is at a different angle from the body and pillar, it will always look slightly different due to the light angle from the sun anyway.

--
Old 06-26-21, 07:13 AM
MrEagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Does she drive a show car that has to be perfect? If so, the paint shop is the way to go. If she has a daily driver, then a couple of thoughts--first, if the color is slightly off, who's going to notice, and, if they do, what are they going to say? Second, it is always possible to paint the mirrors a complimenting color as is your grill or wheels and can be done with a spray can. (I've used them to where only an expert would notice.)

And you can always get matching paint from a company on line that makes those colors in a spray can. Then coat it with a clear coat to have the same shine. Since the mirror is at a different angle from the body and pillar, it will always look slightly different due to the light angle from the sun anyway.

--
I appreciate the insights and information. It's her daily driver, her baby, which she babies. But perhaps, as you say, this isn't exactly a noticeable item that would significantly affect resale value in the future.

I've used color matched paint and clear coat on my motorcycle fender in the past... I'm not much of an artiste, I have learned... but perhaps for such a small piece, I could make a good job of it.

Your comments about painting also remind me that I'd need to remove most everything (puddle light, signal, etc) to get the best spray job done. Perhaps painting at a shop would be cheaper if they only had the mirror casing to deal with.
Old 06-26-21, 06:16 PM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The mirrors on the ISC and regular 2is are exactly the same. I recommend purchasing a used set in the right color and screwing it in
Old 06-28-21, 02:08 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Damaged how is the mirror just swiveling on its own? I'm assuming the cover just got damaged?

There is a fix for the swiveling mirror. It requires some force. Two people would be best.

If just the covers. You can buy them from bell lexus in Arizona. I actually purchased a set from them weeks ago. Covers already come painted. They run about $70-$80 each.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 06-28-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 08:08 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Delete delete
Old 06-28-22, 11:46 PM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

what color is the car? I was thinkin if only the cover paint is damaged, you can vinyl wrap it black. It will look nice.
Old 06-29-22, 05:48 AM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ed21x
The mirrors on the ISC and regular 2is are exactly the same. I recommend purchasing a used set in the right color and screwing it in
Is that so?!?! Is that really true?
Old 06-29-22, 09:02 AM
DUDLON
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by benmunger
Is that so?!?! Is that really true?