IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

SOLVED - top doesn't goes up and down sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 05:37 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SOLVED - top doesn't goes up and down sometimes

My daughter's 2010 , new-to-her, IS250c was having issues with the top...You'd put the top down and and wouldn't go back up not matter how many times you tried . Multiple times she had to drive home from work and put the car into the garage and work from home. She'd tried every so often and eventually it would work.

There were no warnings on the dash and no codes stored. We took a gamble and replaced the switch on the dash.THAT WORKED.

Last edited by cfauvel; 09-13-21 at 06:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cfauvel:
Beamish (09-14-21), DennisMik (10-06-21), Pburkes (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 06:12 AM
Pburkes
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Glad you solved the problem

My “new to me” for 1 year old 2010 350 ISC doesn’t have any convertible top problems but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t say a little prayer each and every time I let it up/down. It’s what I worry about the most with our car!
The following users liked this post:
cfauvel (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 08:31 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by Pburkes
My “new to me” for 1 year old 2010 350 ISC doesn’t have any convertible top problems but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t say a little prayer each and every time I let it up/down. It’s what I worry about the most with our car!
Have you seen in the service manual, how to manually pull up the roof? it is a 2 man job requiring tools !!!!
Old 09-13-21, 04:27 PM
Pburkes
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 😳

Lord NO! I hope I never have to read it!
cfauvel (09-13-21)
Old 09-14-21, 08:21 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

My 2010 was bought back by Lexus under the Lemon Law from the first owner because of convertible top problems. And then I bought it. It's only cost me $2400 so far.

Here is a pic of $2400 -

Old 09-14-21, 10:37 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
My 2010 was bought back by Lexus under the Lemon Law from the first owner because of convertible top problems. And then I bought it. It's only cost me $2400 so far.

Here is a pic of $2400 -

I read your woes, and even did some searches for those stupid little microswitches....Did the dash tell you where the issue was or did the Toyota TechStream had to be hooked up to tell you/them where the problem was ?
Old 09-14-21, 11:45 AM
DennisMik
Racer

The dash only gave an annoying minute long beep. I do not have techstream but my OBD code reader gave me a code (not all will). However, I did not have any information that translated that code to the individual/specific part. Even if I did, I don't think I would have attempted to replace that assembly that has the microswitches.
cfauvel (09-29-21)
Old 09-29-21, 01:12 PM
Lmk12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a video on you tube somewhere and this guy shows how to do it yourself. You need like a broom handle to hold up the other side. He does it in like 10 minute sin real time but slows it down to show how to do it. I am looking for a 350C and this really is my only concern after talking to multiple mechanic and one's working for Lexus plus my own.....fyi
cfauvel (09-29-21)
Old 09-29-21, 01:29 PM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by Lmk12
There is a video on you tube somewhere and this guy shows how to do it yourself. You need like a broom handle to hold up the other side. He does it in like 10 minute sin real time but slows it down to show how to do it. I am looking for a 350C and this really is my only concern after talking to multiple mechanic and one's working for Lexus plus my own.....fyi
Great to know...looking that up now.

Old 09-29-21, 01:56 PM
Lmk12
Driver School Candidate

This is for a sc 430 which I have seen before but know there is one for the 250C or 350C...Might even be on this site....LOL
Old 10-06-21, 03:36 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by cfauvel
My daughter's 2010 , new-to-her, IS250c was having issues with the top...You'd put the top down and and wouldn't go back up not matter how many times you tried .She tried every so often and eventually it would work.

There were no warnings on the dash and no codes stored. We took a gamble and replaced the switch on the dash. THAT WORKED.
Yesterday my wife told me that the top on her car was not going up. This was as we had just parked the car at the grocery store. Same as yours, no error message, no error tone.

So today I tried to pull the switch out. Failed at that but I was able to get my hand up over the switch and on the wire harness connector. I wiggled and pulled on it and then tried it. The top came up when I pushed the switch!!

I don't know how long this "fix" will last. I hope it is a long time.
cfauvel (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 06:52 PM
Lmk12
Driver School Candidate

have an electrician or your mechanic just redo the wire so it stays. Then you won't have to worry about it. Otherwise It might just become loose again. Just saying
Old 10-07-21, 05:39 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Yesterday my wife told me that the top on her car was not going up. This was as we had just parked the car at the grocery store. Same as yours, no error message, no error tone.

So today I tried to pull the switch out. Failed at that but I was able to get my hand up over the switch and on the wire harness connector. I wiggled and pulled on it and then tried it. The top came up when I pushed the switch!!

I don't know how long this "fix" will last. I hope it is a long time.
It is not too hard to remove it.
1 - side dash panel unclips (where the door would close on)
2 - a couple of screws holding the black knee panel.
3 - the panel where the switch lives unclips from the dash, giving you just enough room to unclip the electronic switches

4 - the top switch comes out from the back.

Lmk12 (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 02:29 PM
DennisMik
Racer

It is not too hard to remove it.
1 - side dash panel unclips (where the door would close on)
2 - a couple of screws holding the black knee panel.
3 - the panel where the switch lives unclips from the dash, giving you just enough room to unclip the electronic switches
4 - the top switch comes out from the back.
I did have the panel with the switches almost out of the dash. It just pops into the dash with one nasty exception - there is a philips head screw located on the right side, approx an inch up from the bottom. I did remove the black knee panel so I could get a screwdriver in there from the rear, but I didn't have one the correct length. My guess is you need an 8 inch long screwdriver.
cfauvel (10-07-21)
Old 10-14-21, 07:21 AM
benmunger
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My daughter's 2010 , new-to-her, IS250c was having issues with the top...You'd put the top down and and wouldn't go back up not matter how many times you tried . Multiple times she had to drive home from work and put the car into the garage and work from home. She'd tried every so often and eventually it would work.

There were no warnings on the dash and no codes stored. We took a gamble and replaced the switch on the dash.THAT WORKED.

What did you do with the broken switch?

Quick Reply: SOLVED - top doesn't goes up and down sometimes