IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Anyone have coilovers on their 350C? Or F sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 09:20 AM
HedOvrWhls
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone have coilovers on their 350C? Or F sport suspension

I'm looking to lower my car just to eliminate wheel gap, maybe like an inch, inch and a half max. I have 19x8.5 squared wheels. I was gonna go for the F sport springs and shocks on my mechanic's advice (he said he thinks any coilover that isn't several thousand will ride bad), but I read loads of bad things about the F Sport ride being harsh, coil noise, etc. All I want is to maintain the exact smooth ride quality as a stock car but lowered like a inch ish. Nicer handling would be an awesome bonus too!! Has anyone been able to do this? Would love to hear from anyone with any modified suspension what has worked for you. Btw I have two bad struts in the rear so even if I went springs only I'd have to replace at least 2 struts anyway. I was specifically looking at Megan Racing or BC Racing for coilovers, but I'd strongly prefer Megans as I can get them for less than half the price of the BCs and I have heard the quality is similar, not sure if anyone can confirm. I know they both are pillow ball mount and are supposed to ride consistently regardless of height. Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-22, 11:38 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I did a full retrofit for my F-Sport susp. It definitely drops the car. It also doesn't have ANY strange noise (going on 3 years) and maintains a good balance between control, stiffness and compliance. I will tell you, any coilover is going to ride harsher. Stick with the F-Sport. Lexus turned it for a reason and I have no complaints at all with mine. Get the sway bars too!
Old 03-01-22, 12:09 PM
HedOvrWhls
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lockedlex
I did a full retrofit for my F-Sport susp. It definitely drops the car. It also doesn't have ANY strange noise (going on 3 years) and maintains a good balance between control, stiffness and compliance. I will tell you, any coilover is going to ride harsher. Stick with the F-Sport. Lexus turned it for a reason and I have no complaints at all with mine. Get the sway bars too!
does it ride any harsher than stock? That’s what I’m looking to avoid
Old 03-01-22, 08:20 PM
Restless1
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, I replaced the front and rear sway bars and the factory springs for the F-Sport sway bars and lowering springs. This makes the stance a little more aggressive and produces a more neutral steering, even perhaps a slight oversteer. Before, I had inflated the front tires to have a more oversteer which I still do because I like the quicker response. I don't feel that the car rides harsher and that may be due to the weight of the car. It's noticeable on small and lighter sports car but, that's expected.
Old 06-02-22, 01:35 AM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

What tire size are you running? Any issues with 19 x 8.5 for the front?
Old 06-02-22, 02:15 PM
Restless1
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport sway bars and lower springs

Originally Posted by Restless1
Last year, I replaced the front and rear sway bars and the factory springs for the F-Sport sway bars and lowering springs. This makes the stance a little more aggressive and produces a more neutral steering, even perhaps a slight oversteer. Before, I had inflated the front tires to have a more oversteer which I still Odo because I like the quicker response. I don't feel that the car rides harsher and that may be due to the weight of the car. It's noticeable on small and lighter sports car but, that's expected.
I did exactly the same 2 years ago on my 2014 IS350C. The stance is much better and the wheel gap is reduced by 1-1/2 inches. I still inflate my front ~ 4 PSI over because I like the oversteer handling. The ride harshness is hardly noticeable but worth the superior handling. My next upgrade will include a front strut tower brace and high performance tires. Still debating about tire and wheel size.