IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Smogging Rule Changes? -CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23 | 09:34 AM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

Angry Smogging Rule Changes? -CA

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. Bought my ISF in 2015, It's a 2011. Swapped out headers and exhaust. Still kept the 2 cats with the exhaust but deleted the ones on headers. I've always passed smog just fine here, until this last month. Got smogged and the guy failed me for cat delete on headers visually, while everything else passed just fine. I JUST got my o2 sensors replaced behind them to pass smog so i really don't want to spend another 3k swapping out headers when they were just off. Since I always passed before I'm not sure what has happened, maybe the other places never fully checked or knew the car needed 4? I took to another shop to check out, but they said since my fail in on record I HAVE to go back to the shop that did it and they can't check me or pass me also something about a receipt from a shop about me getting the work done to fix it to prove it? I seen and heard people previously going to other shops to get a second look or fine one that can pass them but this one turned me away. I wonder if there were and rule/law changes. Any help here, or am i f'd and need to drop another 3k to replace my old headers back to pass now and i guess go all the way back to stock until I sell. I'm around the bay area.
Old 04-10-23 | 09:48 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by T4kAttack1
Hey all,

Long time lurker here. Bought my ISF in 2015, It's a 2011. Swapped out headers and exhaust. Still kept the 2 cats with the exhaust but deleted the ones on headers. I've always passed smog just fine here, until this last month. Got smogged and the guy failed me for cat delete on headers visually, while everything else passed just fine. I JUST got my o2 sensors replaced behind them to pass smog so i really don't want to spend another 3k swapping out headers when they were just off. Since I always passed before I'm not sure what has happened, maybe the other places never fully checked or knew the car needed 4? I took to another shop to check out, but they said since my fail in on record I HAVE to go back to the shop that did it and they can't check me or pass me also something about a receipt from a shop about me getting the work done to fix it to prove it? I seen and heard people previously going to other shops to get a second look or fine one that can pass them but this one turned me away. I wonder if there were and rule/law changes. Any help here, or am i f'd and need to drop another 3k to replace my old headers back to pass now and i guess go all the way back to stock until I sell. I'm around the bay area.
You don't have to go to the previous shop to pass. That's hog wash.
Where are you in CA? What city?

Last edited by Toprawman; 04-10-23 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-10-23 | 10:00 AM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toprawman
You don't have to go to the previous shop to pass. That's hog wash.
Where are you in CA? What city?
That is what i thought. Maybe he didn't want any smoke from the gov? He said he could've passed me before i went to the other shop, but i had to go back to the first one since i was in the system as a fail already...

Fremont area.
Old 04-10-23 | 10:02 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

That is what i thought. Maybe he didn't want any smoke from the gov? He said he could've passed me before i went to the other shop, but i had to go back to the first one since i was in the system as a fail already...

Fremont area.
PM me. I can help. Don't go to any other smog stations!
The following 2 users liked this post by Toprawman:
inovashn (04-10-23), silverevo (04-13-23)
Old 04-12-23 | 08:33 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Ran into this exact same scenario ~3-4 years ago when renewing DMV CA registration and had to get smogged.
Everything passed except visual = 2 cats not found.
Once the VIN was flagged for violation in the DMV "system," no "friendly smog place" will touch it.....
Had to put everything back to stock OEM headers + stock OEM exhaust, and just left things as stock, ever since.

Not worth it to me, to keep spending $ and/or time to uninstall + reinstall aftermarket exhaust/headers every 2 years for DMV renewal...

Reside in SCAL, so must be all of CA cracking down on visual inspections for years now.

Hey all,