IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F runs terrible after an oil change, everytime

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23 | 09:34 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

I am totally intrigued by this thread. A few words in I nearly hit the reply button and suggested overfilling (which seems to happen with every car on the planet right now I don't do myself) but you noted this is not the case.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How many of the problem cars have an AOS?
This - I am curious about this as well. I've never had this problem - actually did a flurry of oil changes yesterday including my F. Mobil 1, ran fine afterwards.
Subscribed.
Old 04-17-23 | 09:40 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I have OBD Fusion, can you monitor misfires with the app? If so how? I been wondering about misfires, during my idle I can hear what I think it’s misfiring. I changed my OEM plugs recently with brand new OEM ones. It’s still doing the same thing. No CELs. I just have QES exhaust. And I can hear the tone change during idle. It’s a subtle popping sound, not very prevalent but I can hear it change.
yes, thats what I'm using to monitor them. You might have to purchase the extra PID package for your year/model. Add them to the dashboard like dcguy said, I monitor the all cylinders and all the individual cylinders. The all cylinder misfire count shows a misfire occured for a longer period of time vs the individual
Old 04-17-23 | 09:42 AM
93MSB
Instructor

mine does, ive recently gone over all connections and checked for vac leaks. Its a moroso can fwiw.

Ill pull it out of the loop and see if anything changes

update edit:
first short ~5mile drive after removing aos - I did not see any misfires which is promising. Low load knock was still there, however, the computer will need time to make adjustments so this could resolve/diminish later.
I've also been monitoring my wifes 2012 gx460 for a few months, hers does this to a degree as well, but its from 28 kclv down to 26 kclv.

Last edited by 93MSB; 04-17-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-17-23 | 12:15 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

I’m running with an aos lobux, and had issues previous with the gen 1 version from RR, had vacuum leaks which included light knock (also at low throttle input) and rough idling. With this particular issue I dont believe the AOS has anything to do with cause it was not touched. All of the connections are secure and vacuum free. I know the smallest vacuum leak an be a nightmare, they aren’t easy to find

Last edited by dcguy; 04-17-23 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
caymandive (04-28-23)
Old 04-18-23 | 05:21 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcguy
93MSB thats a good idea! Ill be adding misfires to my list and documenting that as well.
Soulfreak add a digital display its under the add-on of toyota/lexus/scion > engine > total misfire count from there i suppose we could add all 8 cylinders and single some out but have a feeling it would be random
Thank you, will get on it ASAP & report back.
Old 04-18-23 | 05:26 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

I don’t have an AOS. As a matter of fact, I’ve halted all further modifications to the vehicle, until I get other things in order.
Old 04-18-23 | 05:30 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93MSB
yes, thats what I'm using to monitor them. You might have to purchase the extra PID package for your year/model. Add them to the dashboard like dcguy said, I monitor the all cylinders and all the individual cylinders. The all cylinder misfire count shows a misfire occured for a longer period of time vs the individual
Alright, I appreciate the feedback. I already had the PID package purchased. I’ll tinker around with the app & have it ready when I leave to work later on today.
Old 04-19-23 | 08:53 AM
minator
Pit Crew

I’ve noticed my wife’s 100% stock gx470 has this issue at low/moderate throttle in the 2300-2500 rpm window. It will continue to droop kclv from 20+ down to 8-9. It does not become undriveable like the F though. Below 2300 rpm or full throttle kclv returns to normal. Fuel quality/octane doesn’t seem to matter, it would occurs with 93 gasoline, or up to e50 blend. I wonder if this the same issue. baffling nonetheless.
Old 04-20-23 | 08:11 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Just updating, have about 400 miles after the oil change, car is running much better, knock sensors have quieted down (as they always do). Took a cruise tonight to deliberately try and get the knock to go into runaway, got it to a few times at very light throttle, all the way to -8.0 to -10.0 at one point before adjusting throttle input and stopping the pain, took a 5 point hit on the learn value. Added a new PID on OBD fusion for All cylinders misfire count and had 0 throughout the cruise. Had 2 misfires when blipping the rev limiter for a second but that's irrelevant
The following 2 users liked this post by dcguy:
MileHIFcar (04-21-23), minator (04-20-23)
Old 04-23-23 | 05:37 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Just updating, have about 400 miles after the oil change, car is running much better, knock sensors have quieted down (as they always do). Took a cruise tonight to deliberately try and get the knock to go into runaway, got it to a few times at very light throttle, all the way to -8.0 to -10.0 at one point before adjusting throttle input and stopping the pain, took a 5 point hit on the learn value. Added a new PID on OBD fusion for All cylinders misfire count and had 0 throughout the cruise. Had 2 misfires when blipping the rev limiter for a second but that's irrelevant
Hi, I’m also updating this thread. I updated the OBD Fusion app with the misfire options. Thank you for the information. During my commute to work on Tuesday. I noticed cylinder 5 count, went to 1 for a split second. It hasn’t happened at all again. On another note, the noise I thought was a misfire during idle. Apparently, seem not to be the case as the app isn’t picking up any information. I have another 2k until my next oil change. I’ll definitely update the thread. I’m curious why the 2 misfires you had for a second as well are irrelevant? Is it because it doesn’t keep doing it?

KCLV stable for the most part. I see it dip into the lower 19’s during the week. This is below & above 3k rpm’s.

Old 05-03-23 | 11:48 PM
93MSB
Instructor

2 week update after removing the AOS

the bad:
I had an increase in knock feedback
KCLV dropped faster and lower when knock was detected
increase in misfires on random cylinders (some more frequent than others)

the maybe good:
there was a very noticeable change in behavior of the knock feedback, does this point to intake/pcv/baffle issue?

the longer version:
Started off removing the AOS and no ecu reset, the tune was fluctuating acting odd so I changed clamp on the pcv hose up top just to rule out a vac leak. After no change I chose to do an ecu reset.
The first difference that showed up after reset was the KCLV dropped to 13 with the AOS off. I have not seen this behavior with the AOS installed. It was also much harder and took more time to get KCLV up.
Numbers wise, I could only achieve a KCLV of 23.3 vs 24.5 AOS installed. knock feedback of 5-6 was more frequent taking off from a stop. Knock detection did not always lower KCLV, but when it did it dropped faster and lower vs AOS installed.

I know @lobuxracer isnt a big fan of the AOS, and I was hoping this would put this nonsense behind me. However, it looks like the AOS was helping reduce knock detection in this situation. I have replaced my PCV valve in the last 2-3 years

Sewell lexus were the last ones to pull the intake off to do the ELF recall. I had it off before that to do the valley plate. I'm almost frustrated enough to pull the intake off and replace all the associated gaskets, injector seals and inspect the pcv baffle really well.
Old 05-04-23 | 11:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Before working that hard, I'd do a leak down test to see if your rings are all happy. It's not exactly a 5 minute job, but it is definitive for engine health.
Old 05-04-23 | 12:45 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

to expand, when I hit the rev limiter and got a couple misfires I didn’t find it to be anything out of the ordinary, perhaps I’m wrong, but I don’t think the engine is exactly firing properly when you are blipping the rev limiter. That’s why I dismissed the misfire. Was also curious why the total count reset back to zero after about 10 seconds as well I would think it would keep a count for the entire runtime cycle from start up?

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Hi, I’m also updating this thread. I updated the OBD Fusion app with the misfire options. Thank you for the information. During my commute to work on Tuesday. I noticed cylinder 5 count, went to 1 for a split second. It hasn’t happened at all again. On another note, the noise I thought was a misfire during idle. Apparently, seem not to be the case as the app isn’t picking up any information. I have another 2k until my next oil change. I’ll definitely update the thread. I’m curious why the 2 misfires you had for a second as well are irrelevant? Is it because it doesn’t keep doing it?

KCLV stable for the most part. I see it dip into the lower 19’s during the week. This is below & above 3k rpm’s.
Old 05-04-23 | 01:54 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Before working that hard, I'd do a leak down test to see if your rings are all happy. It's not exactly a 5 minute job, but it is definitive for engine health.
Figured you might say something scary like that, any recommendations on leak down kits? I have a compression tester but I know that doesnt tell as much
Old 05-04-23 | 01:58 PM
93MSB
Instructor

.... Was also curious why the total count reset back to zero after about 10 seconds as well I would think it would keep a count for the entire runtime cycle from start up?
Mine always resets to 0 after it detects one. I've never had one trigger the misfire CEL though, it may stick at that point

Quick Reply: F runs terrible after an oil change, everytime