symatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there were you able to solve it? Im having a similar issue in a rcf
Old 06-23-24, 02:42 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Not yet. I have two new fuel filters coming and going to see if that is the cause. For whatever reason, it's just cutting fuel or not getting enough after 4.5Krpm. I'm hoping that maybe the OEM filters are just very dirty inside and not allowing enough fuel to flow at higher rpms 🤷. I'll update the thread once I get them installed and give it a test run.
The following users liked this post:
symatt (06-25-24)
Old 07-02-24, 06:28 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Just an update...

Replaced:
Fuel Strainer
Fuel Filter
Coil Packs
Spark Plugs
Fuel Pump

Issue still persists.
Old 07-02-24, 08:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Sounds like an ECM problem at this point. Are you running a tune?
Old 07-02-24, 10:41 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Yes, this car came with an RR tune, although...that's all I know. I don't know the specifics of the tune.

I also had a remote starter installed at one point. While working on the car, I removed the fuel pump relay to relieve the pressure and something happened to the remote starter and it wouldn't let me turn off my car. I removed the device from the car and it's acting normal now but I still have that drastic fuel pressure loss at 5,000rpm. I'm going to reinstall the device regardless of the fact it wont' let me turn the car off just to see if the fuel pressure drop goes away. At least I'll know for sure if it's the remote starter or not.

I have two used HPFPs coming to test and see if it's either of those. If not, then I'm going to get my FPR and injectors replaced.

Outside of that...I have no idea what else it could be.

Edit: Also, this morning I started the car and got the P0087 again. I turned the car off and banged on the passenger side HPFP with a long socket extension and it started working normally again. Despite having all the gaskets changed a year ago a little oil seems to be leaking from this one. Not sure if that was just a coincidence, but it happened, so I'm mentioning it.

Last edited by Gohanburne; 07-02-24 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-02-24, 10:57 AM
symatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same exact misfire above 4-5k rpm wot, but had misfire codes instead of the low fuel pressure code. Replaced plugs and coils, that didn’t fix it. I cleaned the maf sensor and it came back, then I looked at the air filter and it was absolutely clogged with dirt and I cleaned it and so far no cel and it pulls without misfiring now.
Old 07-02-24, 11:08 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by symatt
I had the same exact misfire above 4-5k rpm wot, but had misfire codes instead of the low fuel pressure code. Replaced plugs and coils, that didn’t fix it. I cleaned the maf sensor and it came back, then I looked at the air filter and it was absolutely clogged with dirt and I cleaned it and so far no cel and it pulls without misfiring now.
I checked my air filter and MAF. The filter isn't dirty, recently cleaned it and the MAF readings are normal. Even if it was clogged I didn't think it would kill fuel pressure like it is now but who knows.
Old 07-06-24, 03:09 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Going to replacing the HPFP on the driver's side and if that doesn't fix it then I'll do the passenger side as well. If it's not either of those...FPR? Injector?''

Also, I checked the voltage when I'm in that RPM range and it's holding steady. Thought maybe the alternator might have been failing but it isn't.
Old 07-06-24, 04:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
Going to replacing the HPFP on the driver's side and if that doesn't fix it then I'll do the passenger side as well. If it's not either of those...FPR? Injector?''

Also, I checked the voltage when I'm in that RPM range and it's holding steady. Thought maybe the alternator might have been failing but it isn't.
I'd replace the ECM first if it were mine.
Old 07-07-24, 08:31 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Can I replace any MY ECM in my 08? Do I need to pair it with my car or anything like that with techstream?
Old 07-07-24, 12:25 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Pulled my passenger side hpfp... Is it supposed to look like this? I checked inside the valve cover with a boroscope and the follower didn't fall inside.

Old 07-07-24, 12:26 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Here's my test part
Old 07-07-24, 02:52 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

There's your problem pull your rocker covers you will need new cams well at least one good luck.
Old 07-07-24, 03:24 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by isfvss
There's your problem pull your rocker covers you will need new cams well at least one good luck.
The cam lobe looks good, hopefully there won't be any subsequent repairs needed.
Old 07-07-24, 06:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
Pulled my passenger side hpfp... Is it supposed to look like this? I checked inside the valve cover with a boroscope and the follower didn't fall inside.

That is 100% bad. You have an oiling problem on that side. There is a catch area in the cam cap that should be bathing this part in oil constantly. The manual even tells you to fill this with oil before installing the pump.
Originally Posted by TIS
(b) Pour 30 cm 3 (1.8 cu in.) of engine oil through the hole in the cylinder head cover into the cylinder head oil collector.

Quick Reply: ⚠️HELP⚠️ P0087 Low Fuel Pressure