IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

⚠️HELP⚠️ P0087 Low Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-24, 07:46 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ⚠️HELP⚠️ P0087 Low Fuel Pressure

[SOLVED] Passenger side HPFP was installed without the gasket. The cam lobe ate away at the follower and it no longer goes in and out.

2008 / 167K

I was going to the gym tonight and when I left my house everything seemed normal. Made it to the gym without any issues and parked. When I left the gym, I started the car and tried to leave the parking lot. As soon as I turned on to the main road the car started jerking and threw the P0087 for Low Fuel Pressure. Car still starts and seemingly idles just fine. If this was a mechanical failure, the car wouldn't start, would it? What are the odds that this is likely a clogged filter or something? Any ideas? Going to take a look at the fuel pump assembly tomorrow and see if anything sticks out but if it doesn't, I'm kind of worried. I blend E40 for my RR tune. Have been doing that for the past 3 years. Could this be the cause?

Found this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...el-filter.html

Are there any signs that would point to it just being a bad filter? There are so many things that this code could be....injectors, HPFP, sensor, etc.

Last edited by Gohanburne; 07-07-24 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-07-24, 02:44 AM
KPCresta
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an 08 and replaced the factory fuel pump with the drop in AEM one and filter housing and filter as preventative maintenance. I have also replaced the HPFP gaskets.

If you are still on the factory fuel pump and running E40 blends I would imagine the pump is dead or struggling.
The following users liked this post:
inovashn (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 05:14 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

I just bought the AEM 50-1220 to throw parts at this until I figure out what it is. I just had pretty much every gasket in the engine bay, pullies, all accessories, spark plugs, etc, replaced last June. They should be good. I don't see any leaks anywhere. After doing a lot of research I do suspect it's my fuel pump. The car still runes and idles fine, but when I try to go above 2,500~rpm driving it jerks (probably because of limp mode). So I'm thinking maybe the HPFP is what's keeping it running but it can't pull enough fuel to supply it under load.
Old 06-09-24, 07:29 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

I replaced the fuel pump today. Trims were off...adding +36% fuel until it normalized and went down to 0 +/- 2-3. Having some trouble starting sometimes when I turn the engine off. CEL hasn't come back yet...CEL went off on it's own but was still logged. Tried flooring it in manual mode and it cut about 5.5K RPM. Cleared the code and haven't tried again. Kind of scare at this point to drive it hard.
Old 06-10-24, 01:21 AM
jace11280
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issues

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
I replaced the fuel pump today. Trims were off...adding +36% fuel until it normalized and went down to 0 +/- 2-3. Having some trouble starting sometimes when I turn the engine off. CEL hasn't come back yet...CEL went off on its own but was still logged. Tried flooring it in manual mode and it cut about 5.5K RPM. Cleared the code and haven't tried again. Kind of scare at this point to drive it hard.
My boy I’m going though the exact same issue and I’m also tuned by rr, when I turn the car off and turn it back on it starts and runs just fine until I’m driving up a hill or something harder then a straight street and I need to pull over, restart the car and go again, from the research I’ve done and websites I’ve read, it is most likely the high pressure fuel pump, from the code to the symptoms, it has to be, the job should be a easy fix for a good mechanic and not too expensive, call around your local shops and get different quotes. A new one from online or the dealer will set you back about 1000$ so I recommend finding a good used replacement that’s oem, I’m pretty certain you can use any from a is250, is350, gs350, gs300 and it will work just fine. After you do all that I would recommend changing out the in tank fuel pump to either oem or a good aftermarket one so that you know the blend you’re running is safe. Keep me updated as will I’m looking for a used oem replacement then bringing it to my mechanic asap.
Old 06-12-24, 08:39 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

I found that I had assembled my fuel pump incorrectly. It was sitting on the bottom of the carrier and not picking up fuel. I fixed that and now it's fine. Now I have a new issue though, when flooring it, when it reaches about 5Krpm it will stutter. Not sure why. My spark plugs are basically new. I had to re-use the OEM strainer on the AEM pump I bought because the one that was included wasn't compatible with the carrier. I'm stumped right now. Unless it's just the gas, but I doubt it.
Old 06-13-24, 06:10 AM
Positron
Pit Crew

Received 226 Likes on 71 Posts

Try replacing both fuel filters with brand new filters. Both of them could be clogged from years of debris.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18085869882...mis&media=COPY

77024-53040
Old 06-13-24, 01:01 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

That thing is a filter? I thought it was just the thing that holds the pump in place.
Old 06-13-24, 09:59 PM
Positron
Pit Crew

Received 226 Likes on 71 Posts

That thing is a filter? I thought it was just the thing that holds the pump in place.
Yep, there’s a filter inside. My old one is pictured below. 12 years old and 70k miles.

Old 06-14-24, 08:02 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Ok, so the thing I really need is this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18387417141...Bk9SR7jUsZ2DZA

The link that you provided seems to be the clip for the bottom of the fuel pump which is why I was a little confused. I actually need the thing in the link above? Or do I need both this thing and the clip from the link you provided?
Old 06-15-24, 11:30 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Ok, so the thing I really need is this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18387417141...Bk9SR7jUsZ2DZA

The link that you provided seems to be the clip for the bottom of the fuel pump which is why I was a little confused. I actually need the thing in the link above? Or do I need both this thing and the clip from the link you provided?
You need this part number: 77024-53040
Old 06-15-24, 09:41 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Just to be clear since it seems like none of these are available for a decent price state-side...this is what I need?

Old 06-19-24, 01:16 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

The low fuel pressure seems to have resolved itself with the AEM 50-1220...but it's still falling on it's face after 5-5.5K RPM. I just bought all new coilpacks so we'll see if that does anything.
Old 06-19-24, 05:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

The low fuel pressure seems to have resolved itself with the AEM 50-1220...but it's still falling on it's face after 5-5.5K RPM. I just bought all new coilpacks so we'll see if that does anything.
Are you sure your spark plugs are genuine? Counterfeit plugs are unfortunately common and fail exactly the way you are describing.
Old 06-20-24, 04:23 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

I bought everything from RockAuto and had them installed with a lot of other things at the same time. Here's a video I just took of it happening. This is with brand-new, just installed today, coil packs. It's still doing it.

Here's a snippet from my logs...I think my MAF might be fkd up. The readings are all over the place.Sorted from highest RPM down.

Here's the log sorted from lowest fuel pressure reading. I can see some low fuel pressure at higher RPMs.

Here's the graph showing when it starts losing pressure. Somewhere around 4,300rpm. MAF doesn't look so bad based on this graph though. I'm stumped. Unless it's a clogged secondary filter. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Gohanburne; 06-20-24 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: ⚠️HELP⚠️ P0087 Low Fuel Pressure