IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 IS F - Is this a legit interior trim for the IS F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-24, 02:03 PM
lexisf11
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow 2011 IS F - Is this a legit interior trim for the IS F?

Hi there, I'm about to buy a 2011 IS-F and there's just one thing that I have doubts on.
This is my first time buying a Lexus

Note: I'm buying this in New Zealand, the dealer had just imported this car straight from Japan, and they are a reputable dealer. (I am getting it independently inspected before I buy, but that's more for a comprehensive mechanical check).

To get to my point:
Every youtube video and picture I have been able to find so far of the 2011 IS F all have a carbon-like trim around the center console / gear selector, and also near the side-door window buttons. (Lexus brochures call the carbon trim "dark aluminized composite")... Example: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/proxy...ce513c1a8dd13b

The car I am looking at does not have this trim. It has this light wood/marble like trim...
See a couple of the 2011 IS F (that I am looking at) photos here: https://imgur.com/a/aaGal3v

When I look at the [2011 Lexus IS] brochure below, I see that different trims were an option.. https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...0IS_2011-1.pdfThe brochure has some alternative trims which looks a little similar - two "bird's eye maple" trims.

Question is:
Does anyone know if it is expected that a 2011 IS F can come with alternative (non-carbon) trims in the center console?I've seen it, driven it, etc and it all seems fine - everything else is 100% the same as any other IS F, except for this small bit of trim... I was wondering if anyone knows of any 2011 or 2012 IS-F cars that came with a similar trim..Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lexisf11; 06-16-24 at 04:16 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 06-16-24, 09:11 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

I've been on this forum for about 15 years and researched the IS-F for about 10 of those and never recall seeing or hearing one coming with a wood/marble trim, only the silver carbon fiber (or whatever its called)
The following users liked this post:
lexisf11 (06-17-24)
Old 06-16-24, 09:46 PM
lexisf11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msgs350
I've been on this forum for about 15 years and researched the IS-F for about 10 of those and never recall seeing or hearing one coming with a wood/marble trim, only the silver carbon fiber (or whatever its called)
Ah right, yeah interesting - good to know!

I guess it was replaced at some point then.
Given the rest of the car all appears legit, I guess I can just pop it off and replace it.
Old 06-16-24, 10:42 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

The brochure you linked is for the entire IS lineup, not just the ISF. Additionally, on the same page with the other interior trims if you look at the "color availability" chart it shows that the only available interior for the ISF is the "Dark Aluminized Composite" which is the one we all have and expect. I think it's near enough to 100% confidence that it wasn't offered with another interior trim from the factory. Maybe if you really wanted it you could get the dealer to customize it for you before delivery but probably unlikely that is what happened.

Whatever the case I'm not sure it matters though. This is almost certainly an OEM interior trim from a lower level IS model that was put into this F. As long as it was done properly and without causing damage I think it is mostly irrelevant when or who did it. And since it is pretty easy to swap I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Probably just a previous owner who preferred it.

IMO the bottom line is that it is the "wrong" trim for the ISF. If you are ok with it you can leave it and enjoy the car... it functionally won't hurt anything (other than potentially resell value). At a minimum though, if it was up to me, I think the price I would offer would be reduced by the cost to properly replace the interior, as it lowers the car's value that much as is.

Good luck.
lexisf11 (06-17-24)
Old 06-16-24, 10:53 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Hexcel's trade name is Texalium. It is a fiberglass fabric with a thin (sputtered?) layer of Aluminum on the surface. Real carbon fiber will not show pigments, will appear black.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChpEng:
lexisf11 (06-17-24), msgs350 (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 12:12 AM
lexisf11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WillAP1
The brochure you linked is for the entire IS lineup, not just the ISF. Additionally, on the same page with the other interior trims if you look at the "color availability" chart it shows that the only available interior for the ISF is the "Dark Aluminized Composite" which is the one we all have and expect. I think it's near enough to 100% confidence that it wasn't offered with another interior trim from the factory. Maybe if you really wanted it you could get the dealer to customize it for you before delivery but probably unlikely that is what happened.

Whatever the case I'm not sure it matters though. This is almost certainly an OEM interior trim from a lower level IS model that was put into this F. As long as it was done properly and without causing damage I think it is mostly irrelevant when or who did it. And since it is pretty easy to swap I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Probably just a previous owner who preferred it.

IMO the bottom line is that it is the "wrong" trim for the ISF. If you are ok with it you can leave it and enjoy the car... it functionally won't hurt anything (other than potentially resell value). At a minimum though, if it was up to me, I think the price I would offer would be reduced by the cost to properly replace the interior, as it lowers the car's value that much as is.

Good luck.
Thanks, that's really useful - and yeah on second look you are 100% right about the brochure.

It definitely looks like they did the trim swap properly, so much so that it looked like it'd always been there from first impressions. From asking around it sounds like the carbon trim pieces are known to delaminate so perhaps could have been the reason for it getting swapped by the previous.

Yeah the center console definitely is easy enough to pop out and replace. I'll have a look on YouTube and see if the trim on the doors where the buttons are can be just as easily replaced (I assume so).

Certainly will negotiate a bit less for the centre console trim needing a change.

Last edited by lexisf11; 06-17-24 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-17-24, 11:57 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
Hexcel's trade name is Texalium. It is a fiberglass fabric with a thin (sputtered?) layer of Aluminum on the surface. Real carbon fiber will not show pigments, will appear black.
yes, thanks for the reminder! I was certain it’s not carbon fiber.
lexisf11 (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 06:52 PM
lexisf11
Driver School Candidate

So I've managed to find other examples of IS Fs that have the same trim - not always the same year but still.. interesting to find more examples.. kinda suggests the 2011 I'm looking at may not have had it replaced .. or I guess it means it was still replaced but from an older IS F possibly

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...ing/4758615040https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...ing/4510599584

Last edited by lexisf11; 06-17-24 at 07:42 PM.