BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 02:03 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BC Racing Coilovers

Hi there,

First of all - I've read a lot of threads on coilovers and honestly feel more confused the more I read.
I've got a 2011 ISF and I just want some decent c

I don't intend to ever take the ISF on the track, so I am mainly interested that isbetter than stock and good enough for daily driving.
The car came with some really cheap coilvers and am urgently wanting to get them replaced. I considered going back to stock but I do like the lower ride height..
It's my first time with coilovers too, so please excuse the ignorance

I am currently considering these: BC Racing Coilover Kit BR-RH
https://bcracing.com.au/products/bc-...22-use20-06-13

The other, but more expensive alternative I have come across are: FORTUNE AUTO 500 SERIES
https://shopfigs.com/v5/FA500-GSE20-1

Another option was Tein Flex Z Coilovers, but I read so many mixed reviews on them that I feel the other two are more safer choices?
https://www.scarles.co.nz/products/t...xus-is-f-use20

I don't think I could justify spending money on something like the RR Racing ones (link) since I am not going to be driving it that hard..

I'm in NZ so shipping is always a pain in the backside and the Tein & BC's are more easily accessible it seems.

I am just wondering what folk's experience is with BC Racing for ISF and whether this particular seem fit for purpose for someone who just wants the typical lower ride height and improved ride over stock?

Last edited by lexisf11; 07-15-24 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-22-24, 03:42 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

You have to remember that BC Coilovers also offer other tiers for the IS-F. Majority of the folks that have something bad to say about BC Coilovers is because they are mainly based off of their BC line which is the lowest tier/entry level coilovers. They also offer DS and ER options for the IS-F. Personally I would of gone with the DS option with custom spring rates from an authorized dealer if it was offered to me cheaper a couple years back.
The following users liked this post:
lexisf11 (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 07:38 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 208 Likes on 138 Posts

I currently have the BC ER series with swift springs and they perform great for me spirited driving at any ride height I want them. I had KWV3 previously and while they were more quiet since they utilized the OEM top hats, I experienced them bottoming out, and when I wanted to rebuild/service them, i was limited to KW which seemed like a hassle to me.

From what I'm picking up from your post, I would get the BC model that fits your needs, and upgrade to swift springs. Order from Figs for some of the best service and knowledge around!
lexisf11 (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 12:49 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm checking to see if I can get ERs locally.

I am am an absolute noobie to all this so excuse the dumb questions:

if I'm not driving the car really hard (not tracking), how long might I expect to get out of these ER coilovers?

I'm really after just giving the car a slightly lowered look and to get the car driving a bit smoother than stock.. and am also wondering if I can achieve that by just getting top-end springs that are equivalent to the price of average coilovers.
Old 07-23-24, 01:00 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexisf11
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm checking to see if I can get ERs locally.

I am am an absolute noobie to all this so excuse the dumb questions:

if I'm not driving the car really hard (not tracking), how long might I expect to get out of these ER coilovers?

I'm really after just giving the car a slightly lowered look and to get the car driving a bit smoother than stock.. and am also wondering if I can achieve that by just getting top-end springs that are equivalent to the price of average coilovers.
No worries, I'm also here to learn even after being on CL for almost 15 years

Personally, with aftermarket suspension components under daily driving, I expect about 75k lifespan before any maintenance or failure, of your expirience will vary.

Considering your vehicle is older and has a decent amount of mileage, I wouldn't bother with springs, but mainly because OEM struts are designed for stock height so you won't get the intended performance/stroke range of the internal piston.
The following 2 users liked this post by msgs350:
21ce (08-05-24), lexisf11 (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 01:11 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
No worries, I'm also here to learn even after being on CL for almost 15 years

Personally, with aftermarket suspension components under daily driving, I expect about 75k lifespan before any maintenance or failure, of your expirience will vary.

Considering your vehicle is older and has a decent amount of mileage, I wouldn't bother with springs, but mainly because OEM struts are designed for stock height so you won't get the intended performance/stroke range of the internal piston.
Ok cool thanks, ~75k is pretty good.

Despite all I read on several forums etc, it's definitely hard to gauge whether certain coilovers is good since it's all so subjective, but i think if I can find a local supplier of ERs for the IS F, then I'll go with them.

I don't know if my kind of driving justifies something more expensive like KW V3 or the other high-end ones.. and really something better than stock is enough to satisfy my immediate wants/needs.
Old 07-23-24, 04:48 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Looks like I can get the ER series locally with a custom set at 12/10kg

https://www.bcracing.co.nz/product/l...06-13-gse20-2/

So think I'll go with these.
msgs350 (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 10:04 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Looks like I can get the ER series locally with a custom set at 12/10kg

https://www.bcracing.co.nz/product/l...06-13-gse20-2/

So think I'll go with these.
just so you’re aware, the ISF specific ER series won’t come with the camber adjustment plates. Not that it matters or at least my F didn’t need them.
lexisf11 (07-23-24)
Old 07-23-24, 10:13 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
just so you’re aware, the ISF specific ER series won’t come with the camber adjustment plates. Not that it matters or at least my F didn’t need them.
Good to know, thanks.
Yeah I'm assuming I won't need them either
Old 07-23-24, 11:20 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Again, very new to all of this, and I might sound like a moron below but just exploring my alternative options and wondering if anyone has opinions on:

If I chose to go back to stock suspension.. then could I then just buy some premium brand springs instead (which would likely cost the same as some average coilovers)?

Especially as I wouldn't be messing with the ride height once I have it set.

I'd assume it would not be advised and likely to cause other issues if I were to

Last edited by lexisf11; 07-23-24 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-24-24, 08:43 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Again, very new to all of this, and I might sound like a moron below but just exploring my alternative options and wondering if anyone has opinions on:

If I chose to go back to stock suspension.. then could I then just buy some premium brand springs instead (which would likely cost the same as some average coilovers)?

I'd assume it would not be advised and likely to cause other issues if I were to
You "could", but I believe with some springs, you'll need to cut the bumpstop off the OEM strut top hats.
Once you factor in the cost of labor to do the swap (or time if DIY), you'll figure out what works best for you.
Premuim springs, example: Swift cost about $400 while the "cheapest" coil overs are around $1200 so there is quite a difference.
Again, the cost of labor/time will be up to you.
Old 07-24-24, 11:46 PM
MMI
Pit Crew

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

Lowering springs with OEM dampers is not advisable for many reasons, poor ride quality being one of the least concerning. What I gather from your posts is you want a better ride than OEM but since your car came with "crappy" coilovers, do you know what OEM is like? From my experience the 2011 OEM suspension doesn't need improvement. If it were my car I'd go back to OEM and leave it at that. If you're concerned about ride height aesthetics, here's what my 2011 looks like sitting on OEM suspension.

lexisf11 (07-27-24)
Old 07-27-24, 03:56 PM
lexisf11
Rookie

Originally Posted by MMI
Lowering springs with OEM dampers is not advisable for many reasons, poor ride quality being one of the least concerning. What I gather from your posts is you want a better ride than OEM but since your car came with "crappy" coilovers, do you know what OEM is like? From my experience the 2011 OEM suspension doesn't need improvement. If it were my car I'd go back to OEM and leave it at that. If you're concerned about ride height aesthetics, here's what my 2011 looks like sitting on OEM suspension.

Thanks, yeah I did drive one other MY11 ISF before my own and did notice it drove slightly better on the same roads.

Yours looks great - I've been considering putting the factory suspension on again too after dealing with the local certification process
MMI (07-28-24)