IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS at the Nurburgring in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 06:33 AM
T2Green
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that little bump on the hood. If functional, probably a vent or for clearance. Of course all the bumps and flares could be part of the camo. The fender flares look well integrated though, and I think they look good.
A good guess that the car is decelerating. If I was going to take pictures I would set up at a corner to get a good look as they slow down. Still looks like a lot of wheel gap compared to the pre-production photos. But as others have mentioned, the IS looks low for a production model at the car shows and in the pre-production pics.

By they way, prior to the Caddy STS release in July '04, there were spy pics of the supercharged STS-V running around (you guessed it) the 'Ring in May '04. http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7134
Old 04-18-05, 12:49 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Check out the actual article:
Old 04-18-05, 02:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the scan, Phillip31. Great first post.

The fender gaps here seem even bigger than in the picture first posted, though the car is more obviously cornering too.

While the article may be only speculating all the horsepower and displacement numbers, the pictures are a solid proof that Lexus is serious about releasing something that competes head-to-head with the M3. That's about 99% sure.
Old 04-19-05, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Thanks for the scan, Phillip31. Great first post.

The fender gaps here seem even bigger than in the picture first posted, though the car is more obviously cornering too.

While the article may be only speculating all the horsepower and displacement numbers, the pictures are a solid proof that Lexus is serious about releasing something that competes head-to-head with the M3. That's about 99% sure.
Ditto, GREAT 1st post, welcome to Clublexus.

Wow, I think it maybe the hybrid IS.But it maybe a V-8 IS, the IS 430 was shown last year and even though these cars have nothing in common, it did create quite a buzz on the show circuit. Maybe Lexus is listening?
Old 04-19-05, 12:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

honestly, all it could be is testing of 350, with vents for extra air because laps on the ring can get quite hot with development engine and body, which is most likely the case...
Old 04-19-05, 12:45 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

An IS500 sounds good to me
Old 04-19-05, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
honestly, all it could be is testing of 350, with vents for extra air because laps on the ring can get quite hot with development engine and body, which is most likely the case...
What makes me think there is some truth to the M figher, the fender flares. I am sure those wheels, while the same style are wider to fit under those arches. And a new stamp would be needed to add those fenders

We can speculate for days
Old 04-19-05, 01:05 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What makes me think there is some truth to the M figher, the fender flares. I am sure those wheels, while the same style are wider to fit under those arches. And a new stamp would be needed to add those fenders

We can speculate for days
LOL, if you guys are willing to "sponser" me I'll set up camp at Toyota Europe HQ in Belgium.
Old 04-19-05, 06:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default It's not just AutoExpress!!

The Japanese Best Car magazine also revealed in the April issue that the "400hp 5.0L Altezza" is "confirmed" (yes this is what the magazine says)!!

It's in the blue box on the lower left of the cover. Also note the mention of the "Celsior LS600h" on the right. Perhaps a short wheel-base hybrid LS will be coming after all, but only outside the US?

BTW, that black car at the center is the Corolla WRC with AWD and a turbo-compressed engine of 300hp for a weight of 1300kg and 4.3m length.

Thanks to this French blog for the info:
http://www.leblogauto.com/toyota/
Old 04-20-05, 06:05 AM
iatacs19
Rookie

Sounds good to me! I wait and wait and wait.... impatiently....
Old 04-20-05, 06:20 AM
T2Green
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Great first post and welcome Phillip31. I agree with 1SICKLEX about the fender flares, the tires do look like they fill the flare in this photo. The fender gap isn't as big as I thought it was. From this well lit angle you can see the wide vertical surface of the fender flare that you can't see in the first two photos along with some body roll as they turn.
And check out those tailfins in the lower left photo! Cool.

Last edited by T2Green; 04-20-05 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 08:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The Japanese Best Car magazine also revealed in the April issue that the "400hp 5.0L Altezza" is "confirmed" (yes this is what the magazine says)!!
The credibility of what you posted just sunk because there is no more Altezza when the Lexus brand name arrives to Japan this summer FYI. Don't believe everything you read.
Old 04-20-05, 09:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not to sure about the fender flares. To me they looked taped on. If you look at the last 2 photos, they are very rough looking and not smooth. Plus if you look at the rear fender arch, you can tell on the inside that it appears to be separating, giving me the impression that it is nothing but camo. And big huge hood vents on a Lexus sedan??!! Not very Lexus like if you ask me, even if it is a sport model Lexus. I do like the idea, but I'm not buying into the IS500 thing right now. Heck we cant even get official ratings of the IS250 and IS350, and people going to tell me that an IS500 is coming with 400hp?? Sorry, I'll wait till I get some press releases.
Old 04-20-05, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have couple of those mags.... are they really reputable? i mean, i have seen a lot of pics that's nothing more than just PS?
Old 04-20-05, 11:26 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
The credibility of what you posted just sunk because there is no more Altezza when the Lexus brand name arrives to Japan this summer FYI. Don't believe everything you read.
For sure I know there'll be no more Altezza when Lexus comes out in Japan. But the magazine might have simply wanted to use on the cover a name that the readers would recognize, a name that they are far more familiar with, in order to grab their attention quickly. The same goes for the "Celsior 600h" name on the cover. After all, those are equivalent names in the eyes of the JDM, until August anyway. Why not make the the wording catchier while they can?

Also, the fact that both AutoExpress and Best Car quoted the same displacement and horsepower numbers should mean something, unless of course one simply plagiarized from the other.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-20-05 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS at the Nurburgring in Germany