IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS500 Coupe (UPDATED!! pg.7)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Now the other thing I've been wondering is...will the SC hybrid be a SC 450h or a SC 600h?

Hmmm...
good thinking. i think that depends on whether lexus wants to make it the true premium that competes with the sl class, or stay it as is. if they stay it as is, it's actually just a deviate from the gs platform, so we might just see something like the sc450h. but if they want to make it so premium, then we will see the sc600hl. but one would expect to see a lot more as well and a HUGE price tag jump to 80k or 90k to "match up" with the ls600hl. personally i am not sure if lexus would do that, the SC as a class itself might not be that high up yet. and together with the fact that lexus is doing the high end sport coupe, they might just leave that one as the true premium

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I see, that makes sense.

As you have discussed in the 3GS forum, between a GS600h & a GS with the V10 "IF" they're making a higher performance version. I think the 5.0 V8 should eventually make it into all the RWD Lexus car models.
well i am still trying to separate all the GT version from the normal series, using amg as example let's say. the IS will get the is500 or so, matching up with the c55 (NA). in amg, you get the e55 and s55 both pretty much the same engine setup. so i was thinking if that means gs600hl as the GT version to match the ls600hl, but somehow my gut feeling says otherwise since lexus is marketing the ls600hl as competitor to the premium v12 s600 and 760li, a configuration not available in 5 series and e class (and we know lexus won't have v12 for a while).

on the other hand, having the v10 on the gs as the GT would be pretty funny as well. the v10 will most likely be first used in the lexus high end sport coupe pushing 500hp (rumor), putting it in the gs would make sense (similar to m5), but does that mean they will put it in the sc as well (since sc is closely related to gs in some sense, and the m6 uses the same v10 as m5). if so, how would that "conflict" with the end high sport coupe?

umm.... what a cloud of fuzz..
Old 06-03-06, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

With the convertible hardtop in the trunk plus the batteries of a hybrid, there will be NO trunk space left lol. . . unless they can come out with much smaller batteries
lol, if they just take out the rear seats once and for all, that might help
Old 06-03-06, 11:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

With the convertible hardtop in the trunk plus the batteries of a hybrid, there will be NO trunk space left lol. . . unless they can come out with much smaller batteries
Or turn it into a true 2 seat convertible and have the batteries behind the driver somehow.

I think a coupe or convertible will be the last car we will see a Hybrid powertrain. SUV's, Trucks, and maybe Minivans IMO have a higher priority than a coupe.
Old 06-03-06, 11:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
. . .well i am still trying to separate all the GT version from the normal series, using amg as example let's say. the IS will get the is500 or so, matching up with the c55 (NA). in amg, you get the e55 and s55 both pretty much the same engine setup. so i was thinking if that means gs600hl as the GT version to match the ls600hl, but somehow my gut feeling says otherwise since lexus is marketing the ls600hl as competitor to the premium v12 s600 and 760li, a configuration not available in 5 series and e class (and we know lexus won't have v12 for a while).

on the other hand, having the v10 on the gs as the GT would be pretty funny as well. the v10 will most likely be first used in the lexus high end sport coupe pushing 500hp (rumor), putting it in the gs would make sense (similar to m5), but does that mean they will put it in the sc as well (since sc is closely related to gs in some sense, and the m6 uses the same v10 as m5). if so, how would that "conflict" with the end high sport coupe?
It doesn't necessarily have to conflict with the LF-A depending on how they want to make them. We still have very little on what the LF-A would be like, but if they make the LF-A as a light-weight sports car with little luxury features more suited for the track(closer to the NSX), & keep the new SC (with the V10) as a hardtop convertible GT loaded with luxury features(more similar to the SL55 & M6), then there will be little conflict
Old 06-03-06, 11:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

lol, if they just take out the rear seats once and for all, that might help
Rear seats or storage bins behind the front seats are still luggage space, so that still is a sacrifice of storage space afterall ?
Old 06-03-06, 11:18 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
no but i doubt there is going to be IS500. may be IS460?
Great...I'm sure it will be an automatic
Old 06-03-06, 11:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Lexus should really be working on at least a DSG type transmission to put in their cars if they don't want to offer manuals . . .
Old 06-03-06, 11:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
I think a coupe or convertible will be the last car we will see a Hybrid powertrain. SUV's, Trucks, and maybe Minivans IMO have a higher priority than a coupe.
Not necessarily. The hybrid system adds extra torque, which would help the car pass other cars. Sportiness is not just 0-60 time, but 60-80 time.

The big problem: the hybrid IS will be more than 4000 lbs. Lexus needs to trim the fat off the IS. If the IS will become a hybrid coupe, it needs to shed about 500-600 lbs to be considered a true sports performance coupe (with VDIM). Getting rid of the backseats will definately help...

Trucks, SUVs, and minivans would definately benefit from a hybrid system, but hybrids aren't efficient enough. Consider the Highlander/RX hybrids for example: it needs to save gas more than add power.
Old 06-03-06, 12:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not necessarily. The hybrid system adds extra torque, which would help the car pass other cars. Sportiness is not just 0-60 time, but 60-80 time.

The big problem: the hybrid IS will be more than 4000 lbs. Lexus needs to trim the fat off the IS. If the IS will become a hybrid coupe, it needs to shed about 500-600 lbs to be considered a true sports performance coupe (with VDIM). Getting rid of the backseats will definately help...
And sportiness is not all about speed either. Which is why I highly doubt that we will see a coupe hybrid before more SUV and Truck Hybrids. Right now they are to big and heavy. Big and heavy do not go together when we are talking about coupes which are suppose to be sporty to begin with. On top of that space is a serious disadvantage when it comes to coupes and hardtop convertibles. Currently I just do not see a market for Hybrid coupes.

SUV's and Trucks though with falling sales are still very popular and some will never trade down. Right now many companies are adding SUV Hybrids(Audi Q7 Hybrid, GM Fullsize truck Hybrid, Saturn Vue Hybrid, even Porsche Cayenne Hybrid with a possible Toyota drivetrain) instead of coupe or sedan. Its just easier to package and IMO people like the idea.

On the contrary we have seen photos of a hybrid MR2/MRS(or so the publications say, but I call BS on that) running around the Nurburgring.
Old 06-03-06, 12:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Lexus should really be working on at least a DSG type transmission to put in their cars if they don't want to offer manuals . . .
They definitely should. That is without a doubt one of the best trannies I have ever experienced.

But they did say that the IS500 might have the Magneti Marelli tranny used in the Ferraris.

It really grinds my gears that Toyota neglects to put proper manual trannies in their higher performing cars. I hope that I am in for a surprise within the coming years cause right now it is very unexceptable.
Old 06-03-06, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

It doesn't necessarily have to conflict with the LF-A depending on how they want to make them. We still have very little on what the LF-A would be like, but if they make the LF-A as a light-weight sports car with little luxury features more suited for the track(closer to the NSX), & keep the new SC (with the V10) as a hardtop convertible GT loaded with luxury features(more similar to the SL55 & M6), then there will be little conflict
umm true i guess, in that case the lf-a would be quite a monster. light weight with 500hp.

i am sure if all these happen, we would be all crying for the LS with the v10 + hybrid hey how should we call that then? ls650hl?

Rear seats or storage bins behind the front seats are still luggage space, so that still is a sacrifice of storage space afterall ?
well but with your top down, i dont really think it's a good idea to put much stuff in the back seat, you might be lucky to keep 50% of them when you arrive at the destination might as well make it into complete cabinate or use that space for batter (probably better for weight distribution) and keep the current space in the trunk
Old 06-03-06, 01:06 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
They definitely should. That is without a doubt one of the best trannies I have ever experienced.

But they did say that the IS500 might have the Magneti Marelli tranny used in the Ferraris.

It really grinds my gears that Toyota neglects to put proper manual trannies in their higher performing cars. I hope that I am in for a surprise within the coming years cause right now it is very unexceptable.

Ya what is sup with those droids? theyre really hard to find!
Old 06-03-06, 07:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

well but with your top down, i dont really think it's a good idea to put much stuff in the back seat, you might be lucky to keep 50% of them when you arrive at the destination might as well make it into complete cabinate or use that space for battery(probably better for weight distribution) and keep the current space in the trunk
Yes, driving with top down, stuff like newspapers & magazines is a no-no. Things that are more substantial like a brief case is OK though. I do agree sacrificing the space behind the seats for battery is probably a better option than sacrificing the trunk space if they want to make a SC convertible hybrid, but I still would rather see a V10 instead.
Old 06-03-06, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes, driving with top down, stuff like newspapers & magazines is a no-no. Things that are more substantial like a brief case is OK though. I do agree sacrificing the space behind the seats for battery is probably a better option than sacrificing the trunk space if they want to make a SC convertible hybrid, but I still would rather see a V10 instead.
come on, you forgot about the lf-a? that's the car you want man
Old 06-04-06, 08:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

come on, you forgot about the lf-a? that's the car you want man
Umm, actually, I' ve never been too impressed by the LF-A shown to us in autoshows & spy photo's, except the prospect of a V10.
Quite frankly, my anticipation is higher for the prospect of a new NSX ( V10 too?) at this point . . .

Quick Reply: IS500 Coupe (UPDATED!! pg.7)