IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS500 Mule Spotted in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 10:39 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota definitely does not suck...they just know what the MAJORITY of people want, which is reliability, safety, good gas mileage, and eco friendly.. all of these new performance vehicles will pay homage to the late great sports cars in toyota's stable of yesteryear by handling impressively, producing lots of power from efficient power plants, at the same time retaining all of the major toyota/lexus selling points.

I'm really not a toyota fanboy, I just state the what I think I know.
Old 12-16-06, 07:09 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't hold your breath guys, the IS-F will only come with the 8 speed auto box. The coupe,...very possible. Just my 02.
Old 12-16-06, 10:31 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Don't hold your breath guys, the IS-F will only come with the 8 speed auto box. The coupe,...very possible. Just my 02.
I realize there is no replacment for a clutch. But most automatics now are faster than the manual version. I believe that's true for the (997)911TTurbo. Heck, AMG doesn't even mess with manuals for the most part.
Old 12-20-06, 01:56 AM
bobbo1978
Rookie

Then the discussion whether this will be a M3 killer or competitor should be dropped. The fact that they are saying F (IS-F) is the performance department of Lexus should be interpreted as a serious stab at performance. Not an attempt to build a performance car but hold back, offering auto only, to maximize profit. Then the word "performance" becomes a marketing gimmick to sell cars. It will just further alienate performance oriented driver away from Lexus/Toyota has the stench of boredom to some drivers. Sure, appeal to the masses will always sell you MORE cars. Same concept won the Congress back for the Deomcrats but it doesnt work the same way for performance cars.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You ever thought, this is the Lexus interpretation of a high performance sports sedan. For those that want a true hard edged car, Lexus is NOT that brand.

Last edited by bobbo1978; 12-20-06 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 09:55 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm really tired of people equating a manual transmission with "performance." If you want to match the words "manual transmission" with "enthusiast," fine - no argument here. But the simple fact of the matter is that current automatic transmissions (except for a drag-strip sprint) are superior in racing situations to manual transmissions. I've attached a link to a comprehensive review of every transmission offered for the E46 M3 here. Note the conclusions of their test:
We learned that, for drag racing, a manual transmission M3 is faster. It is easy to launch in a way that the SMG car just won't match. Once moving, however, SMG in its most aggressive setting can shift about 10% faster than a very skilled driver going in a straight line. It will also shift that fast while the driver is focusing on other aspects of driving, such as braking and cornering, or traffic. Thus, for road races, track lapping days or autocross, SMG will undoubtedly be faster and easier to drive.
Now, if you just want to row through the gears yourself and "feel" like you're driving a race car, you're absolutely right - nothing can match the feel of a manual transmission. But if you want to talk about performance, (aside from the drag-strip scenario), the "manual vs. automatic" argument shouldn't come into the performance conversation.

Javier
Old 12-20-06, 09:50 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

Default Real?

I feel when the new ISF does come out in all it's glory there will be the ones who can not afford to buy it, but want what it stands for. So, buy the exzaust tips, different front end, gold rims, etc. and put it on your IS350. Ta Da it's a ISF! Soon us IS350 drivers will be driving around saying, "is that a real ISF" ??
Old 12-21-06, 06:40 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
I realize there is no replacment for a clutch. But most automatics now are faster than the manual version. I believe that's true for the (997)911TTurbo. Heck, AMG doesn't even mess with manuals for the most part.
Gallardo, Murcielago..to name a few. No one talks ishhh about these cars and their faster than manual automatics. I'm pretty sure that manuals will become more rare as time progresses. We'll begin to see more clutchless manuals and manumatics in passenger vehicles as well as sports cars.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-21-06 at 06:46 AM.