IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS500 Mule Spotted in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 10:46 AM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder when can we get a chance to take a look at this vehicle. . .
Old 07-24-06, 12:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I find that ALL the comparisons I've read are very subjective and based on carefully selected criteria. For instance; Car and Driver did a very comprehensive comparison but showed they definitely were bias and purposely left out vital features that would have put the BMW lower in the raking, let me give you examples. One of the most important aspects of comparison is reliability. Nowhere in the comparison criteria was reliability used. Yet, very subjective criteria was used, such as: int/ext styling, rebates/discounts, got-to-have-it-factor, etc. The BMW test model had serious electrical problems and developed a problem with its ABS where they hit the brakes and the car did a 360 at 70 mph. Because of the braking problem they could not perform the braking test from 70 mph, so they used a previous test (which by the way was not as short as the IS). The reason I bring this up as an example is because braking distance was not even used as part of the criteria. Let’s see, accelerates faster and stops sooner, Hmm! You can see where I'm going with this. When all was said and done the IS came 1 point (213 to 212) less then the 330i, which put it in second place. The funny part to me is when ever any BMW enthusiast talk about comparing the 330i to the IS350 they make it sound like it is this far superior vehicle. I just don't see it. I test drove both vehicles and can honestly say that the 330i does feel more like a sports car but does not come anywhere near the overall power of the IS 350. In the real world (on the street) the IS is so close in the other performance areas that I can see why BMW had to drastically re-design the 330i.

The 330i showed problems with the push botton start system, the ABS (serious issues), air-bag warning system, the A/C struggled in the heat and not one of these issues effected its rating! Sorry I personally don't see how anyone can honestly say the 330i is the better vehicle.

Koz
Well said Koz, well said.

The gotta-have-it factor is junk. We don't need something like that in a car test. The reliability issues are better-left-alone.

All in many IS350 reviews, magazines tend to bash on the cramped rear seats. Brilliant. When doing a sport-sedan test, we should all remember that having a few inches more rear leg room makes the 3 series a far more superior vehicle.
Old 07-24-06, 02:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
All in many IS350 reviews, magazines tend to bash on the cramped rear seats. Brilliant. When doing a sport-sedan test, we should all remember that having a few inches more rear leg room makes the 3 series a far more superior vehicle.
To be fair it is a 4 door and not a coupe. So yeah, having more space and being sporty is important to that class of shoppers. I think you would admit that for the exterior size of the IS the rear cabin is surprisingly small.
Old 07-24-06, 04:02 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

it's true.. for a 4 door sports sedan, nonetheless, it is still a 4 door and they should have put a lil more leg room in the rear
Old 07-24-06, 04:58 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You ever thought, this is the Lexus interpretation of a high performance sports sedan. For those that want a true hard edged car, Lexus is NOT that brand.
Then people need to stop calling it an M3 killer, and start calling it an AMG killer. There's a reason why both of those cars sold well alongside one another - for the most part, different people buy them.
Old 07-24-06, 05:11 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by CHIS350
Well what does BMW plan on doing with weight? The 3 series has succomed to the V8, and I'm sure that their V8 will be much heavier than their 3.0 inline 6. I cannot believe people think Toyota is that stupid just to throw a V8 in a car and say "dare ya goh! M-tree killer" It's an IS500, not a freaking Impala SS.
I don't know what BMW plans to do about weight (if anything) and, quite frankly, I don't care. I count myself among those who think that the M3 has already grown into a bloated parody of itself, most notably with the E46 model and beyond. The original car was essentially a street legal version of the race car; what we have today is much closer to a grand tourer. If I want a grand tourer, I'll buy an M5 - and that's not an unreasonable statement, what with M3 prices expected to close in on 70k when typically optioned.
Old 07-24-06, 05:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I think this will be a great car to rival the BMW and Mercedes to an extent. I'm not confident Lexus can get the numbness out of the car and make it drive like a German. It'll likely be much better electronically, obviously a great interior, and I am sure the engine will pump out the ponies. Driving like a German however.......... which is why people buy Germans, I'm not confident any Japanese car can do that.

This car will likely have a better road feel than all other attempts from Lexus thus far, but still fall short of the "german driving experience" that has made BMW the ultimate dirving machine. Nothing in the Asian market has ever driven like a BMW. It's not exactly the steering, it's not exactly the handling, it's everything about how it comes together. That road feel, without harshness, is what Asian car makers have yet to accomplish. They either get it too harsh, or numb. In most other areas the Lexus cars are superior in a number of ways.

Mercedes are know to be very solid feeling.
BMW are known to be very road aggressive.
Lexus are known to be very smooth.

It's just how it is and no amount of changes will erase a certain companies objective goal. This will be luxury THEN sport.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-24-06 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 05:17 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
is that the 91 freeway?
I'm 95% sure that's Highway 14 in Palmdale, heading south towards LA. I grew up in that area, and there's a stretch of freeway that is sunken below the road out there. I did a quick Google search for the company listed on the side of the building in the picture (Home123) and sure enough, they're located in Palmdale, right alongside the 14.
Old 07-24-06, 05:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
the reason i said that was because one of those side shots looked like the compton part of the 91 before the 110, but i guess it is arizona
That looks nothing like the Compton/Gardena stretch of the 91.
Old 07-24-06, 08:16 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

Nothing in the Asian market has ever driven like a BMW. It's not exactly the steering, it's not exactly the handling, it's everything about how it comes together. That road feel, without harshness, is what Asian car makers have yet to accomplish. They either get it too harsh, or numb. In most other areas the Lexus cars are superior in a number of ways.

Mazda knows a thing or two about handling. i.e. miata, rx line
Old 07-24-06, 08:24 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I think this will be a great car to rival the BMW and Mercedes to an extent. I'm not confident Lexus can get the numbness out of the car and make it drive like a German. It'll likely be much better electronically, obviously a great interior, and I am sure the engine will pump out the ponies. Driving like a German however.......... which is why people buy Germans, I'm not confident any Japanese car can do that.

This car will likely have a better road feel than all other attempts from Lexus thus far, but still fall short of the "german driving experience" that has made BMW the ultimate dirving machine. Nothing in the Asian market has ever driven like a BMW. It's not exactly the steering, it's not exactly the handling, it's everything about how it comes together. That road feel, without harshness, is what Asian car makers have yet to accomplish. They either get it too harsh, or numb. In most other areas the Lexus cars are superior in a number of ways.

Mercedes are know to be very solid feeling.
BMW are known to be very road aggressive.
Lexus are known to be very smooth.

It's just how it is and no amount of changes will erase a certain companies objective goal. This will be luxury THEN sport.
According to the "feel" guidelines, an STi and EVO drive SUPERIOR to BMWs.
Old 07-24-06, 08:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Mazda knows a thing or two about handling. i.e. miata, rx line
Ya, and all the japanese sportscars that were discontinued. I've driven a MKIV before and quite frankly the experience was phenomenal.

It is not the most glorified period of Japanese sports car as of today (The best part was 1993+).
Old 07-24-06, 09:44 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHIS350
According to the "feel" guidelines, an STi and EVO drive SUPERIOR to BMWs.

road feel withOUT harshness..............
Old 07-24-06, 11:54 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

found some more pics

Old 07-25-06, 12:58 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
That looks nothing like the Compton/Gardena stretch of the 91.
yeah compton/gardena doesn't look that nice nor desert-y looking hahah.

Quick Reply: IS500 Mule Spotted in SoCal