IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 08:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
VW does pretty well, especially in Europe and surrounding areas, where Toyota is having a tough time penetrating anywhere near as effectively as north america.

FWIW, not that I'd care either way, but the A4 I'm driving at the moment rides on a unique chassis and suspension not shared with any VW model, though the motor is of course shared with a couple VWs.

IIRC the only Audi/VW models that share platforms is the VW Touareg / Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne, though Touareg is pretty darned expensive anyway, it's pretty high end for a VW. And speaking of high end for a VW, the Phaeton shares a good bit with the Audi A8 for a slight reduction in price, but it has since been discontinued. Oh and the Audi TT and VW Bug used to share a platform but since the latest redesign, they don't really, unless the Bug ends up getting updated and moves to the new platform.

VW is a pretty interesting and spread out company though. They own not only Audi, but also Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and have strong ties due to having the same founder and a close working relationship (though they don't own) Porsche.
I agree that A4 is very different than Passat, not only the look, but the way they drive and feel. My friend had both cars, same exact engine, both FWD and they felt completly opposite to drive and ride in.

I think VW is pretty great company overall. Audi is great brand with great cars.

Of course, there are problems with it too - Audi's are by far mostly FWD cars with 4cly in Europe. In German reliability studies, they dont do that good either (guess who is on top), and we are talking on ze German government studies :-).

5 years ago, I though VW would rule the world. They had everything under their fingertips, and then something happened and they lost focus. They are very slow to adapt to market, and that cost them a lot of sales. But it is great company and they will do great things.
Old 12-12-06, 09:03 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I agree that A4 is very different than Passat, not only the look, but the way they drive and feel. My friend had both cars, same exact engine, both FWD and they felt completly opposite to drive and ride in.
Well, before 2002 the Passat and A4 shared the same chassis. The 2002-2005 model A4 (B6) went to its own unique chassis that was substantially smaller, lighter, stiffer, sportier, etc... not at all related, really. Then 2005.5+ the B7 gen A4 model came and further differentiated the two plus began to share some suspension design with the S4.

I think VW is pretty great company overall. Audi is great brand with great cars.

Of course, there are problems with it too - Audi's are by far mostly FWD cars with 4cly in Europe. In German reliability studies, they dont do that good either (guess who is on top), and we are talking on ze German government studies :-).

5 years ago, I though VW would rule the world. They had everything under their fingertips, and then something happened and they lost focus. They are very slow to adapt to market, and that cost them a lot of sales. But it is great company and they will do great things.
Yeah VW/Audi is an interesting company... glad that they're on the market place to add some fresh perspective on things. But with that said yeah their reliability is crap... I'd never want to own one. Leasing one is fine to me, though, because it's fun to beat on, and will be their problem in 10 more months from now... If it left me stranded then yeah that'd be bad but so far other than a lot of weird rattles and other strange noises, and a couple of check engine lights that never amounted to anything or ever came back, so far I have to say it has been trouble free for the first 16k miles and 14 months of ownership.
Old 12-18-06, 11:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Whoa...talk about off topic...lets somewhat bring it back...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221124

Originally Posted by flipside909

Team Lexus Modified IS350

Because Toyotafest is a special gathering of all Toyota enthusiasts, we asked our friend Brad Nelson from Lexus about bringing out something special from the Lexus side. Since Toyota & Scion were bringing out their goodies, why not Lexus? He elected one of their special project cars which Team Lexus help put together to be utilized. The Lexus delegate to Toyotafest 2006 was the BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl Team Lexus IS350 show vehicle. This was the same show vehicle that was unveiled in Detroit for NAIAS 2006 earlier this year and was also displayed at the Javits Center for the 2006 NY Auto Show. The IS350 arrived to us in Southern California just one day prior from it’s quick cross country journey from Team Lexus’ headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland. Brad had mentioned, “This would be a wonderful opportunity for the Team Lexus IS350 to make its first public appearance in the West Coast.” We felt the same way as this was the perfect place for enthusiasts to see it up close and personal.

The BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl IS350 was transformed in just a short amount of time. Since the New IS350 was just released for sale in October 2005, Brad was enlisted to put together an IS350 that would be later displayed for the Detroit NAIAS 2006. The project was designed to explore the aftermarket potential using just light modifications to enhance the vehicle’s L-Finesse theme. It was natural for Lexus to select Brad to head this project as he is an avid car enthusiast himself. You may have seen him on television during TLC’s “Rides” program working along legendary driver and fabricator Rod Millen, design legend Chip Foose and the build up of the V8 powered IS430.

For the 2nd generation IS nerds out there, this IS350 started out as a Crystal White fully loaded Luxury Package with Mark Levinson & Navigation but with no moonroof—the same press pool car you have seen in the Lexus press release photos. Since the car started its tour of duty here in So Cal, Brad and his “team” had to finish this car in about a month’s time before it was to be unveiled for Detroit in January 2006. To start the modifications, Five Axis Models in Huntington Beach, CA installed the Lexus Accessory Ground Effects Kit and Rear Spoiler before it was painted. After painting, an all-star team of companies were enlisted to transform the stock IS350 into a show stopper.

Selecting a color for the IS350 was somewhat of a task and it needed to give that “wow” factor of a high performance vehicle. At the same time, a nice contrast was needed to compliment the Lexus display at NAIAS 2006. Brad visited with Five Axis to find the right color. After going through pages of paint catalogues, the iridescent BASF Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl was selected to represent the Team Lexus IS350. Five Axis is responsible for transforming a plethora of Scion vehicles into fashionable and functional rolling artwork including xA Roadster, xB DJ Booth and tC Show Car. The stock leather seating and trim was swapped out by Stitchcraft Custom Interiors in nearby Westminster, CA. Yards of blue faux suede hugged the centers of the black leather seating as well as the door trim. The Luxury Package wood trim was swapped with the silver trim of the Sport Package.

After the IS350’s exterior & interior were completed, the car was quickly transported to Team Lexus in Maryland where they installed goodies from their main sponsors that support their IS350 GT2 Race Car that will be gracing the circuits of the American Le Mans Series GT2S class later this year. To compliment the IS350’s new look, the car was lowered 1.5” with a custom height adjustable coil-over by Road Magnet and road dampening duties handled by 2 way adjustable JRZ Shocks. A staggered set of forged aluminum 19” BBS RS-GT wheels w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires allow the performance IS350 to stay planted to the road. With plenty of room to spare, a six-piston, two piece aluminum front and four-piston two piece aluminum rear Stop Tech big brake kit was installed. A special stainless steel, low restriction, dual exhaust by Borla gives the IS350’s 3.5L 2GR-FSE some attitude. In the photos, the IS350 sports the Lexus Accessory Exhaust made by HKS. This is scheduled for release later this year. The Borla unit was sent back to the factory to complete its final R&D for release. Team Lexus fabricated their own polished intake system which allows the potent 3.5L 2GR-FSE V6 to breathe. There have not been any tests done to measure the performance gains of these mods yet, but for now, these “light mods” show the potential of the 2nd generation IS. The project was orchestrated in a short 3 months from conception to completion. Needless to say, Brad, Five Axis and Team Lexus executed this project nicely.

As always, we thank Brad Nelson and Lexus. They made special arrangements to transport this IS350 in 2 days to us here in Southern California from Team Lexus in Maryland. It was a great opportunity to view in person and park our cars right next to the special Carizzma Ultra Blue Pearl, Team Lexus Modified IS350.

You can read the rest and see more pics here:

CLICK HERE: CL joins 11th Annual Toyotafest along with the Team Lexus IS350

Old 12-18-06, 11:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Remotely related...but considering this came out earlier this year...it's worth mentioning as it gave a hint to what Lexus was trying to hint us with for the future from NAIAS 06.

Here are some pics of the TL IS350 with my friend's SGM IS350 (pinoychris):

Old 12-19-06, 03:00 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I can't wait for the IS-F...
Old 12-19-06, 10:33 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
0-60 in 4.5 (it won't be fast enought)
1/4 mile in high 12s (it still ain't fast enough)
slalom of .92 (it can't handle as good)
obstacle course speed of 70 mph (it is not involving)

I am predicting the future

Hehe... you forgot SOUL!!! It doesnt break down every week, so it doesnt have soul....
Old 12-21-06, 11:32 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to this:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lexus_isf.html

The IS-F will be sold in the UK as well...
Old 12-21-06, 12:29 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats this rumour about IS-F having only 380 hp?
how come i read 425ish before and its down to 380 now?
Old 12-21-06, 01:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
whats this rumour about IS-F having only 380 hp?
how come i read 425ish before and its down to 380 now?
Confusing, isn't it?

If the IS-F will have the 4.6L engine (which is unlikely), it will have about 380 hp.

If the IS-F will have the 5.0L engine (which is more likely), it will have about 425 hp.

If the IS-F has some super/turbocharged version of the 5.0L engine [or bigger] (such that of the LF-A, which is very unlikely), it will have about 500 hp.
Old 12-25-06, 01:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I will be at the January 8, 2007 press release. Lexus is really doing it big...Stay tuned.
Old 12-25-06, 05:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They're flying you out to Detroit???!! Wow that's cool, lots of pix please.
Old 12-26-06, 08:30 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

I will be at the January 8, 2007 press release. Lexus is really doing it big...Stay tuned.
How long will you be there till Ryan?

I am planning on heading down on the weekend it wraps up. Saturday most likely.
Old 12-27-06, 01:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Hameed
How long will you be there till Ryan?

I am planning on heading down on the weekend it wraps up. Saturday most likely.
Hey Hameed,

I will only be there during the Press Days. Let me know if you are coming sooner.
Old 12-27-06, 04:12 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
According to this:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...lexus_isf.html

The IS-F will be sold in the UK as well...
It wouldnt make much sense NOT to release it in europe...cause they arnt selling anywhere near their potential here...yet
Old 12-28-06, 06:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Hey Hameed,

I will only be there during the Press Days. Let me know if you are coming sooner.
Too bad as I cannot get a press pass for the entire family, otherwise I would show up as well during the press days.

I will very likely go on Saturday January 20th.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007