IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 05:53 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hey Rey! According to them...not in the immediate future.
I know you're having fun out there Ryan. So when can you get us a sneak peak at the new IS-F up close and personal? I like what I see so far but need to see it in person
Old 01-08-07, 05:53 PM
LexFather

the headlights look kinda smoked in that pic
Old 01-08-07, 05:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I know you're having fun out there Ryan. So when can you get us a sneak peak at the new IS-F up close and personal? I like what I see so far but need to see it in person
I've been working on it. I will let you guys know.
Old 01-08-07, 06:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by enigma888
Look at this glowing picture...stunning!

Now we know that blue IS 350 wasn't just a single special event, it was a big hint of something to come.

No IS-F coupe soon, ok...but tell me the regular IS coupe is coming out sometime....!!!?
Nope. Not in the "immediate" future.

Doh...there's Agent001 from Autospies on the left of this pic again.
Old 01-08-07, 06:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Also on the "Quad" exhaust setup. They are real dual outlet exhaust on each side. Obviously the tips are larger than the opening but they are definitely dual exhaust canisters.
Old 01-08-07, 06:13 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
I happen to prefer the Euro-style long plates...

But the LF-A is hot!!!
I wish Canada and US would have euro-style license plates totally way nicer.
Old 01-08-07, 06:14 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have found a perfect word to describe this car:

FETISH

This car looks so in your face that RS4 will completely disappear if you put it next to it, seriously IS-F would eat it alive just standing still and it would not even get a chance to show off on the pavement
Old 01-08-07, 06:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
That is EXACTLY what they were going for in my view. Make the competitors look like they're standing still. Who knows, it might even force them to make more differentiation between their regular and performance models. But that's all in the looks. Which is only a part of the whole.
Old 01-08-07, 08:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
If by "bland" you mean "non-ricey" then I agree 100%

I personally prefer something a bit toned down and not something that looks like it escaped from the set of the Fast & Furious.

In reality, what else could they do? They needed to differentiate it from the IS2/350. IMHO, the side vent and front spoiler look like cheap add-on's
IMHO, the rear bumper on the new M3 looks "ricey" if you will, even though I still respect any use it provides, so to each his own. Ricers in general have given a bad name to legitimate and useful body add-ons.
Old 01-08-07, 08:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Exactly. The chief designer for the IS-F wanted this IS-F to be a Lexus of it's own. Despite being related to the IS250/350, the IS-F is it's own thing...and not to be mistaken as a regular IS. The V8 and the performance characteristics will shine as this car becomes readily available for us to preview.
I'm pleasantly surprised that the IS-F was developed by a skunkworks Lexus team.
Old 01-09-07, 06:16 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Just so i'm clear... I mention that the IS-F looks ricey and you retort with a M3 comment? Exactly how is that relevant to the topic at hand?
OK, so maybe the ricey - M3 inference was annoying, but obviously the IS-F/M3 connection isn't. You have to assume that the "more than 400hp" and "under 4.9 sec" verbage is not just because they haven't tested production versions yet. With a year before it hits the showrooms, they will have a chance to see better what the M3 does real world. With the numbers the 335 are generating, bimmer might be tweaking the M3 due to in house competition let alone what Lexus may be bringing to the party. "More than 400hp" should be competitive but the 4.9 sec. 0-60 seems to indicate that the 8 speed is shifitng in that range even under WOT. So there probably are going to be some tweaks. Lexus can make legitimate arguments that it's models are aimed a different customer than bimmer but it sure seems like IS-F is going to joined at birth to the M3. Choice is good.
Old 01-09-07, 06:23 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Need to know: Actual power, price, how is steering and chassis? I can deal with the looks if it's powerful enough, handles and steers, and is reasonably priced. There is a good chance it will do all of those, but until we know, I will reserve commentary except to say: I want those brakes.
Old 01-09-07, 07:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just so i'm clear... I mention that the IS-F looks ricey and you retort with a M3 comment? Exactly how is that relevant to the topic at hand?
The M3 (and) Audi RS4 are the closest competitors to the IS-F, and I didn't mention the RS4 because I have no gripes with it's looks, although it too is quite understated.
Old 01-09-07, 07:43 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
OK, so maybe the ricey - M3 inference was annoying, but obviously the IS-F/M3 connection isn't. You have to assume that the "more than 400hp" and "under 4.9 sec" verbage is not just because they haven't tested production versions yet. With a year before it hits the showrooms, they will have a chance to see better what the M3 does real world. With the numbers the 335 are generating, bimmer might be tweaking the M3 due to in house competition let alone what Lexus may be bringing to the party. "More than 400hp" should be competitive but the 4.9 sec. 0-60 seems to indicate that the 8 speed is shifitng in that range even under WOT. So there probably are going to be some tweaks. Lexus can make legitimate arguments that it's models are aimed a different customer than bimmer but it sure seems like IS-F is going to joined at birth to the M3. Choice is good.
Lexus is giving very conservative estimates, as it always does. Rest assured, the HP will be well over 400HP, the engine will have well over 350 lb-ft, and the 0 - 60 will be well under 4.9 sec.
Old 01-09-07, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Need to know: Actual power, price, how is steering and chassis? I can deal with the looks if it's powerful enough, handles and steers, and is reasonably priced. There is a good chance it will do all of those, but until we know, I will reserve commentary except to say: I want those brakes.
May have to wait about 11 months for those answers...

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!!

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007