Width: 71.5
Height: 55.5
Wheelbase: 107.5

Dimensions (inches) IS350
Length 180.1
Width 70.9
Height 56.1
Wheelbase 107.4

The IS-F is a whopping 3.4 inches longer, only 0.6 inches wider, 1.1 inches lower (height wise) and the wheelbase is almost identical.

I am curious to know where the car is longer by 3.4 inches - in the front overhang or rear overhang? More likely the front overhang.

I sure hope the weight distribution is close to 50/50, however judging by the photos and dimensions, that does not seem to be the case...... unless the engine was moved further back on the front axle which would mean the cabin is even smaller considering that the wheelbase is still the same as before.
Old 01-09-07, 08:52 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Comparing the dimensions of the IS-F with the IS350:

Dimensions (inches) IS-F
Length: 183.5

Length 180.1
Width 70.9
Height 56.1
Wheelbase 107.4

The IS-F is a whopping 3.4 inches longer, only 0.6 inches wider, 1.1 inches lower (height wise) and the wheelbase is almost identical.

I am curious to know where the car is longer by 3.4 inches - in the front overhang or rear overhang? More likely the front overhang.

I sure hope the weight distribution is close to 50/50, however judging by the photos and dimensions, that does not seem to be the case...... unless the engine was moved further back on the front axle which would mean the cabin is even smaller considering that the wheelbase is still the same as before.

good point, whats the distribution of the 350

whether it was moved further back or not, i doubt many actually carry car-fulls in their IS--its Lexus alternative to a mainstream coupe rite now...and most people i kno who have an IS rarely do carry rear seat passengers mainly because the lack of legroom and damage to rear seats also

anyhoo...the vehicle is still soemthing to be eager for, but i personally would wait for later production of the IS-F (maybe a few months down the road) so at least we are open to any bugs that may arise.
Old 01-09-07, 02:53 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 30 pages. I am not going to go over every single message but here's something I wish Lexus could offer or change for the production vehicle.

WHEEL: 18" rim instead of 19". I think 18" should be large enough to have a 14" brake disc and 6-pot caliper fit in with no problem. Bigger is not necessarily better, and in this case, very likely the 18" will have a positive impact to handling due to lower unsprung weight and not-so-rubber-band side wall and also the ride, again, due to the taller side wall of the tire.

BRAKE DISC: How about slotted disc instead of cross-drilled? Ya, I know a lot of people love the look and it's a pretty good marketing decision. How about listening to those potential buyers concerns about higher maintenance cost of having cross-drilled disc? (more aggressive to the brake pad, easier to crack disc, less braking surface area, etc?)

REDLINE: Now you have one impressive set of transmission on paper. How about just let the driver rev and have a soft-bump to the redline, hold the gear and don't let the ECU takes control and upshift?

FRONT SEATS: The rear legroom is a weakness for the IS in this segment. Since Lexus is making the IS-F the "motorsports" version of it, why not throw in a pair of racing shell so that it will make some extra leg room for the rear passenger? (I know it's not going to happen, but, hey, just a wish).

MANUAL TRANNY: If possible, throw in the Getrag 6-speed as an extra cost option. Some people are willing to pay extra for an extra pedal and to keep their right wrist busy.

Last but not least -- RELIABILITY: Ok, Toyota, lately you have couple products with some uncharacteristic reliablity/safety issues. This is your first high-performance mass production vehicle in more than a decade. Don't mess this one up. Build it strong like the MKIV Supra. You probably still won't take away the throne from BMW's M for now, but sure you will keep those German engineer work harder. Let the competition begins, and let us consumers benefit from it.
Old 01-09-07, 03:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lexus is giving very conservative estimates, as it always does. Rest assured, the HP will be well over 400HP, the engine will have well over 350 lb-ft, and the 0 - 60 will be well under 4.9 sec.
The performance numbers sort of have to be. 400hp is competitive but with the 4.6 generating 380, you have to wonder why they bothered with five liters for 20 more hp. Seeing as how the IS350 with 300hp can already be a low five second car, unless Lexus screwed something up, the LS-F should be well under 4.9 sec., even with "just" 400hp, as you say. But if the performance speculation is true, and Lexus wants to play in the performance car arena, maybe a little less conservatism would be warranted if they want performance buyers, who are very likely to push the numbers around, to wait a year.
Old 01-09-07, 04:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
Comparing the dimensions of the IS-F with the IS350:

Dimensions (inches) IS-F
Length: 183.5

Length 180.1
Width 70.9
Height 56.1
Wheelbase 107.4

Teh front. Many times when a car gets a bigger engine, the front grows. The 1st gen Accord V-6 grew a couple inches up front to fit the engine for example.
Old 01-09-07, 05:43 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I wonder if the bottom of the car is completely enclosed.
Old 01-09-07, 08:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to the reveal, although the quality is rather poor. Also, I can't tell if it's the car itself or the video in the background, but pay close attention to the "rumble" when the car enters the stage, and then ceases when it stops. Sounds wicked mean.

http://www.rpmdaily.com/video_pages/...ept_naias.html
Old 01-09-07, 10:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the vid link!
Old 01-09-07, 10:47 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "rumble" is more likely the audio from that intro video.
Old 01-10-07, 01:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Finally back from Detroit. Whew what a trip. I will work on converting the video and photos I have taken in the next couple days. I have exclusive video of the IS-F revving. No one and i mean NO ONE has this...not even Autospies.

As for the rumble you heard in the background from that video clip...it's background noise from the musical intro...not the car. I was in the room during the 1st run through rehearsal while the room was opened to the press and throughout the whole presentation. I was up in the front row and did not hear the car upon entrance and it's terminus at the center stage turntable.
Old 01-10-07, 07:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best on-floor images yet

For more click http://www.speedsportlife.com/photop...y.php?cat=1131
Old 01-10-07, 07:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Finally back from Detroit. Whew what a trip. I will work on converting the video and photos I have taken in the next couple days. I have exclusive video of the IS-F revving. No one and i mean NO ONE has this...not even Autospies.

As for the rumble you heard in the background from that video clip...it's background noise from the musical intro...not the car. I was in the room during the 1st run through rehearsal while the room was opened to the press and throughout the whole presentation. I was up in the front row and did not hear the car upon entrance and it's terminus at the center stage turntable.
EXECUTIVE STATUS!!!

Nice Ryan!
Old 01-10-07, 08:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome pics Vladi. Incredible paint job this car has, and it looks much more elegant than the Lexus PR pics. Just as I thought, the original Lexus PR pics make the car look tackier than in reality.

The quad exhausts are integrated quite nicely IMO.

The design in these pics looks very aggressive, yet still has a nice flow and retains elegance at the same time.
Old 01-10-07, 08:37 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These new pictures make a world of difference

I am still not too fond of the quad exhausts, but now I can
understand the design a bit better.

Any other wheel option other than gunmetal?
Old 01-10-07, 09:18 AM
rob200
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
...The colors will be limited to Black, Silver, White, Red and this new Blue...
I don't think this has been asked yet - any idea if this is going to be a proper, sporty bright red or the current matador red?

fwiw I love the look of the car - i was worried it'd look too plain

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007