IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"F" Marks The Lexus Spot!!! EXCLUSIVE VIDEO & PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 12:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just keep in mind that despite the beautiful geometry of the 2GR-FSE, in the end it's still an "F" motor. Not that there is anything bad about that, but simply that the heads are designed with fuel economy in mind. G heads are designed with performance in mind.

Historically, G heads on Toyota engines have meant fuel thirsty engines with higher emissions.
That's mostly marketing speak. Fuel thirsty just means it's a fundamentally poor combustion chamber design with compromises not supporting good efficiency and good power.

I've stuck porting tools in a number of G heads, and they're all second tier compared to motorcycle engines. The reason the G heads are historically the way they are is to reduce the angle of the port in relation to the valve stem and improve ultimate flow. So they have to splay the valves wider to get the intake and exhaust packaging right, and completely compromise the combustion chamber with too much surface area and not enough squish. The F heads are much more like bike engines - narrow valve angles, compact combustion chambers with lots of squish, and exceptional combustion efficiency - but unfortunately large angles between the port and valve stem for packaging reasons.

I'm hoping these new G heads will have the narrow included angle AND a small angle between the port centerline and the valve centerline. It's a lot easier to do with a V engine, and you can see they've done this with the 2GR-FSE. I'm also hoping the G heads have plenty of squish area either for better efficiency on poor quality fuel, or for exceptionally high compression and detonation resistance. Yamaha has LOTS of experience doing this with their bike engines, I'm just hoping it finally makes it into this new engine. It would make an ideal platform for boost if they do ('cause 432 hp still isn't enough...)
Old 01-23-07, 08:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Historically, G heads on Toyota engines have meant fuel thirsty engines with higher emissions.
Historically, G heads were exclusive to the inline engines only. I4 and I6, 4AG, 2JZ and etc.
Old 01-23-07, 10:12 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone heard what rear gear the IS-F will use? I hope they leave the 4.0gear in there. On the RX 330 when they went to the 350 they went to a higher rear gear. I hope they don't ruin a good low gear when they add the extra HP V8. Anyone know?

Aloha
Old 01-24-07, 03:34 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that all of that information will be released when Lexus drills down the numbers and at least releases prelim figures...
Old 01-24-07, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Thanks Ryan for going above and beyond for us
Old 01-25-07, 02:52 PM
Yuri
Rookie

Amazing! Can't wait to see them @ the dealers
Old 01-25-07, 04:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's mostly marketing speak. Fuel thirsty just means it's a fundamentally poor combustion chamber design with compromises not supporting good efficiency and good power.

I've stuck porting tools in a number of G heads, and they're all second tier compared to motorcycle engines. The reason the G heads are historically the way they are is to reduce the angle of the port in relation to the valve stem and improve ultimate flow. So they have to splay the valves wider to get the intake and exhaust packaging right, and completely compromise the combustion chamber with too much surface area and not enough squish. The F heads are much more like bike engines - narrow valve angles, compact combustion chambers with lots of squish, and exceptional combustion efficiency - but unfortunately large angles between the port and valve stem for packaging reasons.

I'm hoping these new G heads will have the narrow included angle AND a small angle between the port centerline and the valve centerline. It's a lot easier to do with a V engine, and you can see they've done this with the 2GR-FSE. I'm also hoping the G heads have plenty of squish area either for better efficiency on poor quality fuel, or for exceptionally high compression and detonation resistance. Yamaha has LOTS of experience doing this with their bike engines, I'm just hoping it finally makes it into this new engine. It would make an ideal platform for boost if they do ('cause 432 hp still isn't enough...)
Thanks for the insight. I didn't know the G heads were inefficient. As far as I remember, G heads bring along bigger fuel injectors.

But who knows what the 2UR-GSE will have in reality. First ever application of G heads in a Toyota V engine. Also, all previous G heads were in older engine designs. None of the new Toyota engine designs have had G heads, and the 2UR will be the first. It may be an all new design for the G heads.
Old 01-25-07, 09:04 PM
mav16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
Great Video..the IS-F sounds amazing!

i cant wait to see what the BMW/Audi guys have to say..im so excited..

I think ill just post this on a few M3 and s4 forums...
I'll say its sounds nice but its still butt *** ugly. IS-Fugly.
Old 01-26-07, 07:16 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mav16
While that might be your impression now, I would say wait until you see it in person.. I have had a few friends say the exact same, until they saw it at NAIAS and then changed their mind...
Old 01-26-07, 07:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
While that might be your impression now, I would say wait until you see it in person.. I have had a few friends say the exact same, until they saw it at NAIAS and then changed their mind...
Agreed! I saw it in person and it looks just fantastic. Now here's to crossing our fingers that Lexus will tune the chassis and steering feel just right and all the naysayers will crawl under some stones and shut up once and for all.
Old 01-26-07, 10:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mav16
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Since you are on the waiting list of the new M3, obviously the IS-F is not for you.

The IS-F fit all my needs, so it is beautiful to me. Since the M3 is not for me, it doesn't attract me one bit. In case you think I want the IS-F because it is cheaper then the M3, my budget is high enough for a new M6.
Old 01-26-07, 10:27 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Hey, I just remembered something. The G head designs were the ones on which VVT and VVT-i were introduced to toyota engines. The last G series engine (2ZZ) introduced VVTL-i.... Variable valve timing and lift... maybe we will have this on the IS-F? VVTL-iE ?? hmmmmmm

more and more i'm thinking that the '400hp+' is closer to 450hp
Old 01-26-07, 10:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Hey, I just remembered something. The G head designs were the ones on which VVT and VVT-i were introduced to toyota engines. The last G series engine (2ZZ) introduced VVTL-i.... Variable valve timing and lift... maybe we will have this on the IS-F? VVTL-iE ?? hmmmmmm

more and more i'm thinking that the '400hp+' is closer to 450hp
The IS-F motor is gonna have every power trick Toyota current has......
Old 01-26-07, 11:57 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Every power trick? I dont think so....If it did it would be pushing at least 580hp
Old 01-26-07, 12:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,973 Likes on 2,403 Posts

If it had VVTLi they would have surely mentioned it at the show, or it would have been in the press kit. Without better details on how this engine is built, we're all guessing anyway. It would be nice to have some dimensions, but we'll just have to wait until closer to release for these.

Quick Reply: "F" Marks The Lexus Spot!!! EXCLUSIVE VIDEO & PHOTOS