IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Only 1,000 produced...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 10:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
hahah if the IS350 is already so hard to get imgaine lexus making low numbers of the IS-F and let the dealers kill each other for it. Other low prodcution toyotas have huge mark-ups like say the FJ cruiser imagine the IS-F. and seriously until toyota takes this segment seriously, like offering a manual tranny as an option at least and offering more then 18 inch wheels stock, they will never be tops in this sgement. If i had the $$ i'd rather get an RS4 or M3.
FJ Cruisers can be bought at or below invoice these days. My friends sell Toyotas, and a good deal for them is $200 over invoice on an FJ. Price hikes only last a short while.
Old 02-09-07, 01:23 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, Bentley Continental GT, all AMGs are the fastest cars on the street, none of them offer an old fashion manual tranny. I guess they must not be some "serious" sports cars then
Can you see some guy in the Bentley shifting like a madman...
Old 02-09-07, 07:37 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
I don't think their objective is to be "tops" in this segment. They know the loyal following of a German car owner.

Instead, I think they are offering an alternative.

And I'm soooooo sick of hearing "seriously" and "manual tranny" in the samn sentance. No one must take AMG seriously then.
if they werent aiming to be the tops in the class that the IS is in now, how do you explain them trying to out do the BMW 3 series? the BMW 3 series is considered by most to be the benchmark in its car class, and lexus tried to take over that benchmark with the IS. I think lexus is making a somewhat poor atempt at trying to take over the segment with the IS-f. Yes many of you are right about new automatic transmissions and how smart they are blah blah, hell the audi dsg shifts fast, faster then i could even count the gears when i drove a car equipped with one....the point though is that when you are driving a high performance car whether its a coupe, 4 door, convertible, etc not having a choice for an manual with the intention of it being sporty and fast is blashphemous. Lexus does things with $$ in mind, true most people probably would not buy it as a stick even if it was offered with it, but im sure there would be a small group of people who would feel that its a crucial piece missing from the car.
Old 02-10-07, 07:38 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
if they werent aiming to be the tops in the class that the IS is in now, how do you explain them trying to out do the BMW 3 series? the BMW 3 series is considered by most to be the benchmark in its car class, and lexus tried to take over that benchmark with the IS. I think lexus is making a somewhat poor atempt at trying to take over the segment with the IS-f. Yes many of you are right about new automatic transmissions and how smart they are blah blah, hell the audi dsg shifts fast, faster then i could even count the gears when i drove a car equipped with one....the point though is that when you are driving a high performance car whether its a coupe, 4 door, convertible, etc not having a choice for an manual with the intention of it being sporty and fast is blashphemous. Lexus does things with $$ in mind, true most people probably would not buy it as a stick even if it was offered with it, but im sure there would be a small group of people who would feel that its a crucial piece missing from the car.
Even Lexus came out and said that they weren't in competition directly with either BMW or Merc... While I agree that sure, some people think it's ridiculous that no manual tranny is offered, are those people not true 'enthusiasts' then? If someone buys a CLK63, is this because he wants a luxury sports coupe, or because he wants to buy a sports car with optional manual?

And honestly, the higher the prices continue to go on the likes of Motorsport, AMG, F series, etc, I wouldn't even ask about a manual. The least the car could do for 90k (in the case of a CLK63) is shift itself.