IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 07:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbman
I just joined Club Lexus and this is my first post. I am probably not the demographic Lexus is aiming at with the IS-F. I am 63 and have never owned a performance car, although it has been in the back of mind ever since I was a teenager and saw my first Corvette. Well, the Vette was way larger than my wallet at that time and then came the middle years with college, family, business etc. Well, now I have paid my dues and can afford to pursue that long dormant dream.

I am not a true enthusiast and will never drive my dream car beyond seven tenths, let alone track it. So why buy such a potent machine? For me it is the satisfaction of knowing you have that kind of performance and engineering perfection at your command. Think of me as that conservative “grey beard” you frequently see driving their buffed C6 down the road like it is in permanent break in mode.

I have never owned a Lexus, but have driven Toyotas my entire life, primarily because of their reliability, which I first experienced with a 72 Corona. That was back when buying a Japanese auto would be like purchasing a Chinese car today. Given my lengthy and favorable experience with Toyota, it was only natural that I would look to them for that performance car of my dreams. I was dead set on buying the second year IS 350 when I heard the rumor of the IS-F and it was “love at first hearing.”

The recent announcement of the general specs was like a dream come true. I like everything about the car even the stacked and staggered exhausts which, IMHO, make quad horizontal tips look dated. I think those tips will become the “mark of the beast”, kind of like the side gills on the M3. I have always driven manuals, but given modern day traffic and the near F-1 shift times of the newest performance autos, I am ready to move on. My age and slowing reflexes may have something to do with it. The new IS-F tranny can probably snap off two perfectly rev-matched downshifts in the time it takes me to make one imperfectly rev-matched manual shift. If the new IS-F tranny lives up to its billing, I think the car mags will stop dinging Lexus for not having a manual, not that I have anything against manuals and will always have at least one in my stable.

Well, this post is kind of getting long in the tooth so let me wrap it up by saying I am probably that older demographic which GM was targeting with their first C6 add. You know, the one with the young boy and girl in their new C6s flying through the air while eyeball flirting to the theme, “The Car of Your Dreams.” Pay attention Lexus because the “grey beard” demo is where the stash is. The idea of leaving it all to the kids is undergoing a paradigm shift…LOL. From a 120 HP 1972 Corona to a 430 HP 2008 IS-F, ya gotta love it! Oh, one other thing Mr. Lexus, the way I will baby this fine piece of machinery you are unlikely to have warranty expenses sucking away at the bottom line.
Welcome to ClubLexus and great first post Carbman!

Your ramblings echo my sentiments exactly! I don't think I would ever track this car if I could afford to buy it. Just the knowledge of having control of an engineering masterpiece and all that HP is justfication enough to buy it!
Old 03-27-07, 08:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I just joined Club Lexus and this is my first post. I am probably not the demographic Lexus is aiming at with the IS-F. I am 63 and have never owned a performance car, although it has been in the back of mind ever since I was a teenager and saw my first Corvette. Well, the Vette was way larger than my wallet at that time and then came the middle years with college, family, business etc. Well, now I have paid my dues and can afford to pursue that long dormant dream.

I am not a true enthusiast and will never drive my dream car beyond seven tenths, let alone track it. So why buy such a potent machine? For me it is the satisfaction of knowing you have that kind of performance and engineering perfection at your command. Think of me as that conservative “grey beard” you frequently see driving their buffed C6 down the road like it is in permanent break in mode.

I have never owned a Lexus, but have driven Toyotas my entire life, primarily because of their reliability, which I first experienced with a 72 Corona. That was back when buying a Japanese auto would be like purchasing a Chinese car today. Given my lengthy and favorable experience with Toyota, it was only natural that I would look to them for that performance car of my dreams. I was dead set on buying the second year IS 350 when I heard the rumor of the IS-F and it was “love at first hearing.”

The recent announcement of the general specs was like a dream come true. I like everything about the car even the stacked and staggered exhausts which, IMHO, make quad horizontal tips look dated. I think those tips will become the “mark of the beast”, kind of like the side gills on the M3. I have always driven manuals, but given modern day traffic and the near F-1 shift times of the newest performance autos, I am ready to move on. My age and slowing reflexes may have something to do with it. The new IS-F tranny can probably snap off two perfectly rev-matched downshifts in the time it takes me to make one imperfectly rev-matched manual shift. If the new IS-F tranny lives up to its billing, I think the car mags will stop dinging Lexus for not having a manual, not that I have anything against manuals and will always have at least one in my stable.

Well, this post is kind of getting long in the tooth so let me wrap it up by saying I am probably that older demographic which GM was targeting with their first C6 add. You know, the one with the young boy and girl in their new C6s flying through the air while eyeball flirting to the theme, “The Car of Your Dreams.” Pay attention Lexus because the “grey beard” demo is where the stash is. The idea of leaving it all to the kids is undergoing a paradigm shift…LOL. From a 120 HP 1972 Corona to a 430 HP 2008 IS-F, ya gotta love it! Oh, one other thing Mr. Lexus, the way I will baby this fine piece of machinery you are unlikely to have warranty expenses sucking away at the bottom line.
Well said. Welcome to CL.
Old 03-27-07, 09:26 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'll only be 35 this year but the style doesn't appeal to me. I like the specs though, but I wouldn't buy it. I rather have the body panels on the regular IS350.
just to throw out my opinion in here, i dont like the styling of the IS-F. i prefer the much simpler styling of the IS250/350. and yes it has to be geared towards the 30+ crowd because most of us 20somethings cannot afford a $50K+ car. nevertheless, its nice to see lexus at least attempting to make their name in the performance scene.
Old 03-27-07, 04:40 PM
Carbman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed, flipside, thanks for the welcome. The last time I was this excited about a car was when I bought my first wheels as a senior in high school, a 1950 Ford flathead V-8. I remember paying $100 for it. Waiting for the final specs and initial driver reviews on the IS-F, I feel like a kid the week before Christmas. Perhaps, Lexus will tease us with a few more specs in NY or maybe flip can score a drive in the blue machine when it gets out here to the west coast. I am hoping Lexus will keep the MSRP below $58K which translates into about $65K out the door in CA. I can afford to pay more, but being old school and fiscally conservative, I have a huge mental block to spending more than $65K on a car. I am also hoping the F horsepower exceeds the 420 HP of the RS4 and M3 (414 SAE). I know it is apples and oranges day dreaming, but a simple mathematical extrapolation of the IS 3.5L works out to 437HP and 395 ft-lbs torque. Now wouldn't that be worth a and a holler. I guess we will find out if HQ really turned the "skunk works" boys and girls loose. Regards......Carbman
Old 03-27-07, 08:23 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

I'll only be 35 this year but the style doesn't appeal to me. I like the specs though, but I wouldn't buy it. I rather have the body panels on the regular IS350.
I'm 33 and feel EXACTLY the same way. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'm getting old
Old 03-27-07, 10:39 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

I'm turning 35 in 2 months. I think the car is ok. Nothing grabs me or gets me excited about it. It would have excited me more if it were an inline 6 with turbos or something. Stuffing a large, heavy V8 into a small car could possibly throw the vehicle dynamics out the door. That remains to be seen. It would be a fun drive though.

I also would be more excited if it had a manual tranny. I have owned many 500+HP auto cars, and the auto tranny robs a lot of the power, and makes it less enjoyable, at least for me. I like to row my own gears, but for those that want it as a daily driver, the auto would be a better choice.

In the end, I guess I would consider one if a deal was thrown in my face, but I don't think I will not actively try to get one.
Old 03-27-07, 10:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
I'm 33 and feel EXACTLY the same way. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'm getting old

Getting old? Not a change. I still love modding cars. I even like body kits as well. I just don't like this particular style. There are a lot of nice factory body kits or wide body cars like the, AMG and such that make the car known it is the performance version, but doesn't look as tacked on. Over all applaud Lexus for introducing a performance line. It is a work in progress. I'll just wait until they perfect it
Old 03-28-07, 06:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Getting old? Not a change. I still love modding cars. I even like body kits as well. I just don't like this particular style. There are a lot of nice factory body kits or wide body cars like the, AMG and such that make the car known it is the performance version, but doesn't look as tacked on. Over all applaud Lexus for introducing a performance line. It is a work in progress. I'll just wait until they perfect it
Have you seen the car in person yet?
Old 03-28-07, 07:36 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have you seen the car in person yet?
Well of course not. But how different from the pictures we have seen do you think it will be? Unless they get rid of the hood bulge and fender vent I still say it wont be for me and the cleaner lines of the current IS fits my style better.
Old 03-28-07, 07:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Well of course not. But how different from the pictures we have seen do you think it will be? Unless they get rid of the hood bulge and fender vent I still say it wont be for me and the cleaner lines of the current IS fits my style better.
Before I saw the car in person at the Detriot show in January, I was also skeptical of its bulging hood and the "tacked-on" look of the fenders from the pics I saw.

However after seeing it in person, it is anything but "tacked-on" or "ungainly".

I would reserve judgement until you see it in person.
Old 03-28-07, 10:34 AM
euro.r
Driver

The IS-F in it's current concept form is too ricey for me. For that amount of money, M3/RS4 FTW.
Old 03-28-07, 11:25 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

I didnt' want to say it, but it does looked "tacked on" and "ricey."
Old 03-28-07, 12:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

I'll say it. It looks like someone's ultimate slammed Civic. It appears to be trying for VIP and boy racer at the same time. It's not a happy combination in my eyes.
Old 03-28-07, 01:08 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping Lexus will keep the MSRP below $58K which translates into about $65K out the door in CA. I can afford to pay more, but being old school and fiscally conservative, I have a huge mental block to spending more than $65K on a car.
Carbman, is the MSRP the reason you're not more excited about the LF concept cars than the IS-F? Seems like that would be even more of a Lexus dream come true for you than what many people presently consider to be an overly modified IS350...
Old 03-28-07, 07:44 PM
Carbman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Carbman, is the MSRP the reason you're not more excited about the LF concept cars than the IS-F? ...

sirkfe.....The exotics like the LF-A, Enzo etc.have never been on my wish list. They are magnificent examples of automotive art and performance, but just too impractical for my lifestyle and conservative personality. In other words I am not a true car enthusiast. Just give me something that looks aggressive in an elegant understated way and doesn't draw a crowd when you park it. The IS-F has that potential if the front fender air ducts and deep sculpted side skirts are integrated into the body in a seamless fashion; so as not to appear like an after market addition. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but those who have seen the car say the changes are well crafted, as one would expect from Lexus. The hood bulge definitely adds to the aggressive look and can blend smoothly with the overall appearance if not overly large. The extra 3 inches on the nose should help maintain a proportional look. I prefer the Lexus approach to the blister bulge of the new M3 hood.

From a practical standpoint, the IS-F has everything I need or want......small enough to be tossable and maneuverable on the narrow mountain roads where I live, enough ground clearance so I don't bottom on the occasional stretch of rough road, more power and performance than I will ever use, state of the art transmission, luxury and comfort for the driver and front passenger, two rear seats suitable for around town taxi duty, full compliment of safety features and last but not least, Lexus quality, reliability and service. I guess you might say Lexus does performance my way.......Carbman

Quick Reply: Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?