IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 06:51 AM
aco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the front fender vents seemed very "after market" before I saw the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Once you see the car in person, all of it flows and works very nicley. To all those who continue to call the car "ricey", have you actually seen the car in person? Even videos don't do the car justice.
Old 03-29-07, 07:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by aco
I thought the front fender vents seemed very "after market" before I saw the car at the Chicago Auto Show. Once you see the car in person, all of it flows and works very nicley. To all those who continue to call the car "ricey", have you actually seen the car in person? Even videos don't do the car justice.
I am willing to bet that every single person that is calling the car "ricey" or that the "vents and hood don't flow very well" has NOT seen it in person.
Old 03-29-07, 09:00 AM
Manoj
Driver

What does "RICEY" mean ????
Old 03-29-07, 09:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
What does "RICEY" mean ????

Old 03-29-07, 10:17 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got this out of UrbanDictionary.com

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.

Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.
Old 03-29-07, 10:55 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

Don't leave out the ricer mentality. If a ricer drives by you while your cruising, you have just lost a race to that ricer and he will post it on every ricer board on the net. "MY 89 CRX SI JUST SMOKED A NEW Z06!"
Old 03-29-07, 01:51 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rocman
Don't leave out the ricer mentality. If a ricer drives by you while your cruising, you have just lost a race to that ricer and he will post it on every ricer board on the net. "MY 89 CRX SI JUST SMOKED A NEW Z06!"
wow you have a nice stable
Old 03-29-07, 03:35 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, they sure do. That's why i don't visit the Honda enthusiast sites. I remeber one Sunday, I riding down the interstate enjoying the G35. These 2 riced out cars come up on me. Big tail pipes making big noice. One's a Civic the other an Integra. They are trying to challenge me. I'm trying to ignore them but they won't give up. I know the G35 isn't a supercar or anything but these guys should know it's more than a match for their ricers. Well, I gave in. I hit the gas and left them like they were standing still. I let them catch up for a thumbs up.
I hate to brag, they were only ricers. Now if it was a Porche or something, that would be worth the story.
Old 03-29-07, 04:37 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice cars! Why an SL55 AND an SLK55?

"Just because I can" is good enough a reason... but I'd like to hear your thinking there.
Old 03-29-07, 09:06 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Nice cars! Why an SL55 AND an SLK55?

"Just because I can" is good enough a reason... but I'd like to hear your thinking there.
Just because I can!

The SL is my car and the SLK is the wife's. She loves that freakin' car! Mine is lowered on 20" HRE's and her SLK is on 19" Iforged Essens.
Old 04-28-07, 07:08 PM
mort
Lead Lap

M5 has 4 doors and 500hp...0 - 60 in 4.1 and 12.4 1/4 mile....yup, a real family car?
Old 05-22-07, 10:38 PM
ISrxn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carbman
I just joined Club Lexus and this is my first post. I am probably not the demographic Lexus is aiming at with the IS-F. I am 63 and have never owned a performance car, although it has been in the back of mind ever since I was a teenager and saw my first Corvette. Well, the Vette was way larger than my wallet at that time and then came the middle years with college, family, business etc. Well, now I have paid my dues and can afford to pursue that long dormant dream.

I am not a true enthusiast and will never drive my dream car beyond seven tenths, let alone track it. So why buy such a potent machine? For me it is the satisfaction of knowing you have that kind of performance and engineering perfection at your command. Think of me as that conservative “grey beard” you frequently see driving their buffed C6 down the road like it is in permanent break in mode.

I have never owned a Lexus, but have driven Toyotas my entire life, primarily because of their reliability, which I first experienced with a 72 Corona. That was back when buying a Japanese auto would be like purchasing a Chinese car today. Given my lengthy and favorable experience with Toyota, it was only natural that I would look to them for that performance car of my dreams. I was dead set on buying the second year IS 350 when I heard the rumor of the IS-F and it was “love at first hearing.”

The recent announcement of the general specs was like a dream come true. I like everything about the car even the stacked and staggered exhausts which, IMHO, make quad horizontal tips look dated. I think those tips will become the “mark of the beast”, kind of like the side gills on the M3. I have always driven manuals, but given modern day traffic and the near F-1 shift times of the newest performance autos, I am ready to move on. My age and slowing reflexes may have something to do with it. The new IS-F tranny can probably snap off two perfectly rev-matched downshifts in the time it takes me to make one imperfectly rev-matched manual shift. If the new IS-F tranny lives up to its billing, I think the car mags will stop dinging Lexus for not having a manual, not that I have anything against manuals and will always have at least one in my stable.

Well, this post is kind of getting long in the tooth so let me wrap it up by saying I am probably that older demographic which GM was targeting with their first C6 add. You know, the one with the young boy and girl in their new C6s flying through the air while eyeball flirting to the theme, “The Car of Your Dreams.” Pay attention Lexus because the “grey beard” demo is where the stash is. The idea of leaving it all to the kids is undergoing a paradigm shift…LOL. From a 120 HP 1972 Corona to a 430 HP 2008 IS-F, ya gotta love it! Oh, one other thing Mr. Lexus, the way I will baby this fine piece of machinery you are unlikely to have warranty expenses sucking away at the bottom line.
you sir..are a scholar..as well as a gentleman!..nicely written.