IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 08:00 AM
rdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?

Am curious if the IS-F will appeal to buyers over 30 or if they will be turned off by the "rice"/fast and furious syling.
Old 03-09-07, 08:50 AM
aco
Rookie

I am over 30, closer to 40.
I saw it in person at the Chicago Auto Show.
I am on the list for black on black plus options.

Based on the projected MSRP, the target demographic is most likely someone like me. Over 30 enthusiast that has a history with performance cars and requires reliability.

Last edited by aco; 03-09-07 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 09:59 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by aco
I saw it in person at the Chicago Auto Show.
Is the styling more subtle in person than in the pics I've seen?
Old 03-09-07, 10:36 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rdk
Am curious if the IS-F will appeal to buyers over 30 or if they will be turned off by the "rice"/fast and furious syling.
While I'm sure it will appeal to many under 30 wanna-be race drivers, I was wondering how they would talk their parents into buying one for them
Old 03-09-07, 10:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I am over 40 and it sure appeals to me! I want one, but cannot afford it.

The details are very well done. In pics they look exagerrated. I saw the car in person at Detriot.
Old 03-09-07, 11:15 AM
aco
Rookie

Originally Posted by LH1
Is the styling more subtle in person than in the pics I've seen?
When I first saw the pictures, from many angles, I thought that it would detract from the lines of the car. In reality, it is much more subtle in person. Almost to the point where I didn't even notice it. I think darker colors will make it blend even more.
Old 03-09-07, 04:08 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdk
It sure as hell appeals to me!
Old 03-09-07, 04:17 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

I am over 40 and have no desire for one.

For a car that small, I would rather have a open top roadster. For sporty cruising, the GS fits the bill.

The IS is just to darn small to be a 4 door or a serious contender with anyone else. Unless you are 5ft' tall of course.

The majority of buyers will be kids. Older folks will opt for RS4, M3/5/6. If you are going to pay the price, you might as well have the room.
Old 03-09-07, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

I'm over 40 and the styling does not appeal to me at all. I also would not spend that kind of money on a "performance" four door. I'll save my money for the LF-A. As I posted on another forum today: four doors are family cars, performance cars have two doors or less.
Old 03-09-07, 08:38 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doubt that description fits well with the Evo/STI folks. when making generalizations about how many doors a car can have to be "performance" biased is a poor way of judging a car. i realize of course that the IS-F will mostly be used as a poser mobile (as will the upcoming M3), but that it will definitely work on the track.
Old 03-09-07, 09:53 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Talking

I'm 43, and I like what I see and what is on paper. Will see how well the car really performs when it arrives at the dealerships. I am 2nd on the list to buy. If this car performs as well as they have "talked" about, then I will have it in the garage .....that night.

The G35 coupe was a win for me, and it was in my garage that night. I had no regrets about totalling the 1st gen IS.

By the way I have test driven both the IS350 and the new G35 sedan, for the money.. the G35S sedan hands down....sorry, but that is how I feel when I test drove the cars, i felt more connected to the road in the G35S sedan. Now if the IS-F gives me the same feel as the Lexus reps have talked about... then they have my business.
Old 03-10-07, 07:23 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm over 40 and like both the IS-F and LF-A, but it is down to the perceived value and cost for me that will determine which one I would purchase to replace my IS350,...if any.
Old 03-10-07, 08:32 AM
aco
Rookie

There are many definitions of performance cars. There are many "sport sedans" that blow the doors off of 2 door "sports cars". Both staight line and on the track.

As with previous cars, the IS-F will be seeing the track. However, it will also be used as a daily driver. Even if I wanted to spend 3 times more for the LF-A, I can't imagine using the LF-A as a daily driver.

Again, once I saw it in person, it does not seem overdone.
Old 03-10-07, 10:05 AM
Manoj
Driver

I am 22, I am funding for that car myself. I wanted to get IS-350 when in Feb 06, but that time I didnt hv enough funds to even think about it.

I hope IS-F is a limited edition car; bcoz I see so many 2nd Gen IS these days on Road.... LoL!

Tbh, I am not buying this car to take it on tracks or speed on roads. I am a Lexus fan, I wanted the fastest Lexus (Production cars ... lol). I will be nursing this car on Miami streets not going beyond 80mph.
Old 03-10-07, 12:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

I said four door cars are family cars. They weigh more than their two door counterparts. I did not say all two door cars are sports cars, or that all two door cars are worthy competitors to four door sports sedans. However, the quickest, fastest, and best handling (not feel best, but actually drive fastest in competent hands) cars all have two doors. Look at the lap records at any track and it's pretty obvious light weight and good tires make all the difference in the world. It is not possible to build a four door car lighter than an equivalent two door car. It is not possible to build a four door chassis as stiff as a two door chassis.

And to ice the cake, the fastest cars of all have no doors at all. You're just not likely to find one of them legally on a street in the US.

Quick Reply: Will IS-F appeal to enthusiast over 30?