IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

***Would you buy IS-F or E92 M3?***

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 08:32 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ***Would you buy IS-F or E92 M3?***

I am interested to know from all of you which would you rather buy and why? Which factors do you take into consideration? I know the thread on which was faster was closed, so lets not bicker too much over this one! The reason this is here and not in the IS-F sections is because I want the most honest and unbiased opinions from everyone! Also I know we're comparing a coupe v. a sedan but the M3 sedan will most likely have the same specs. Let's get it on!

Last edited by nysupraman; 03-17-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-17-07, 08:53 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your main consideration is speed. So consider getting the 2008 Hennessey Grand Cherokee SRT600. Its the quickest demon on the market.

The SUV destroys and humiliates:

Mercedes ML63 AMG
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
BMW M products
all Mercedes AMGs other than the 604-hp SL65.
Audi S6
Chevy Corvette
Porsche 911 S
Lamborghini Gallardo.

It is just a half-second slower than the two paragons of production-car performance, the 911 Turbo and the Corvette Z06.

STATS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 28.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 116 mph
Old 03-17-07, 10:13 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
I see your main consideration is speed. So consider getting the 2008 Hennessey Grand Cherokee SRT600. Its the quickest demon on the market.

The SUV destroys and humiliates:

Mercedes ML63 AMG
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
BMW M products
all Mercedes AMGs other than the 604-hp SL65.
Audi S6
Chevy Corvette
Porsche 911 S
Lamborghini Gallardo.

It is just a half-second slower than the two paragons of production-car performance, the 911 Turbo and the Corvette Z06.

STATS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 28.2 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 116 mph
huh? He was talking about IS-F and E92 M3. And you are talking about a SUV?
I know SRT Jeep is fast and all, but I question Hennessy's reputation and the car drivability.

To answer OP question, I have deposit on both IS-F and E92 M3. I can't honestly tell you what I am going to get, but I am leaning towards M3. The reason is that I already have IS350 and I think I would want to be in different car if I have to pay 30K more.

On the other hand, I am not even sure if I can stand another compact "high performance car" . they are just too smalll for me and I might just end up with diesel X5 when it comes out next year.
Old 03-18-07, 07:44 AM
CARJACK
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus will be a lot more compliant I'll tell you that much, it won't be a pain to drive at all. The m3 will be more ***** to the wall because it has to be in order to be faster. With it's low displacement it can't afford to be that soft. The IS-f is going to be smooth and soft like a japanese car, and the M3 is going to be rash and brutal like a friggin bimmer. All bimmers, have that revvy, i don't have torque but i can still eat you attitude. The 5.0 from the IS-F is going to be burbly and will just push and push and push and push, whereas M3's tend to yank and then slingshot out into the image in front.

This has always been the case, all you need to do is compare the tachometers and you will know. The bimmer goes till 8 grand plus, the lexus goes to 6 grand plus. I personally can't decide. All I know is both cars look great.

I am on the m3 waiting list but I am seriously leaning towards the IS because it will be more rare. every one knows about m3 and will probably be in line to buy one just because of the badge on the back. IS-F is going to be one of those rare cars that not that many people got because they were 50 years old and got an ES 350 due to the fact that it had more room in the back seat and was thus a better value.

One thing is for sure, beleive this. The reason why that m3 concept was so out of this world agressive is because BMW feels the pressure from the market. With the Is, the new GTR, and the new G37 from underneath and the C63 coming up the M3 has to hustle to still be considered worth buying.

The DSG is also going to be good.

Needless to say, it will be the cheapest import v8 offered with a manual transmission besides the underpowerd s4. The amv8, the r8, the rs4, 5 and 6series are all more expensive. Still the transmission range for the m3 has and always will be a large selling point even if the v8 is, per V8 standards, the size of a teapot.

I'll drive both and answer this question again.

Last edited by CARJACK; 03-18-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-18-07, 10:47 AM
nysupraman
Racer

i definetly want to test drive both cars to finalize things but this is why I would probably choose one of the other:

M3
  • wanting a more raw driving experience
  • possibly more aftermarket compared to the IS-F
  • manual tranny
  • probably being faster than the IS-F on the corners
  • Having the patience to get in line for one

IS-F
  • a little more practical with 4 doors
  • guessing less first year production problems
  • less harsh of a drive
  • automatic- just push and go driving
  • cant wait for the DSG to come out or wait on the list for any m3 at that
  • better inside ergonomics as you will be inside your car more than the outside!
  • more rare on the road compared to the M3
  • being less expensive and fully loaded
  • gettin one faster because of production time
  • Spending more and possibly getting less with the M3?

That's all i could think of at the moment, definetly agree with CARJACK! So I guess my list is leaning towards the IS-F
Old 03-19-07, 09:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IS-F or M3?

Originally Posted by CARJACK
I'll drive both and answer this question again.
This is the best way to approach this question.

No one, AND I MEAN NO ONE, can say one car is better than the other because no one in the world has driven both cars in it's final-production form.

To say the BMW will be faster and handle better than the IS-F is hypothetical. It most likely will be, but it's purely speculative and hypothetical.

To say that Lexus will be of better quality with less technical issues is hypothetical. It most likely will be, but it's purely speculative and hypothetical.

And don't forget, the driver makes the car what it is. You can have a BMW fanatic drive both cars and say the BMW is better. You can have a Lexus fanatic drive both cars and say Lexus is better.

Let's read the question again: ***Would you buy the IS-f or E92 M3?***

I will wait to drive each car. I WON'T and WILL NOT even listen to what opinions people have and want to say about each car...
Old 03-19-07, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Neither, I would rather have a Z06 as my fun sports car at about the same price
Old 03-19-07, 07:01 PM
CARJACK
Driver School Candidate

Going to drive the is-F in september, I have a friend who works at a dealership and they get a demo.

BTW M3 four door is supposedly going to have the coupe front faschia.

Last edited by CARJACK; 03-19-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 07:31 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhh....from what I heard the M3 will not come in manual for now, its a 7speed automatic with a SMG transmission.
Old 03-19-07, 08:57 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by CARJACK
Going to drive the is-F in september, I have a friend who works at a dealership and they get a demo.
Lucky you, I think I have one of those dealer friends too

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Uhhh....from what I heard the M3 will not come in manual for now, its a 7speed automatic with a SMG transmission.
Yes correct, end of this year we'll see the stick M3. However, going into nex spring we should see the auto or new DSG transmission M3. The SMG will not be on the E92, and following that will the 4door and cabrio.
Old 03-19-07, 09:00 PM
LexFather

I think its laughable how many of the BMW crowd laughed at the hood bulge on the IS and its too busy and well, the new M3 is the same with its styling.

E46 for me and IS-F for me.
Old 03-19-07, 10:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Neither, I would rather have a Z06 as my fun sports car at about the same price
last time I saw a Z06 at GM dealer, it has close to 100K sticker price.
Old 03-20-07, 02:24 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me no question the E92 M3. Not because it will outperform the IS-F, but mainly because it is a coupe. Also you can't deny the BMW driving dynamics. Some may not like the driving dynamics, but I happen to be one that does. So far nothing has come close although IMHO the NSX was better. Almost telepathic steering reposnse and great steering feedback.
Old 03-20-07, 11:58 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This is the best way to approach this question.

No one, AND I MEAN NO ONE, can say one car is better than the other because no one in the world has driven both cars in it's final-production form.

To say the BMW will be faster and handle better than the IS-F is hypothetical. It most likely will be, but it's purely speculative and hypothetical.

To say that Lexus will be of better quality with less technical issues is hypothetical. It most likely will be, but it's purely speculative and hypothetical.

And don't forget, the driver makes the car what it is. You can have a BMW fanatic drive both cars and say the BMW is better. You can have a Lexus fanatic drive both cars and say Lexus is better.

Let's read the question again: ***Would you buy the IS-f or E92 M3?***

I will wait to drive each car. I WON'T and WILL NOT even listen to what opinions people have and want to say about each car...

However.... i'd honestly say neither, as I think both are extreme for a daily driver and my idea of a track car is something very light with about 1/2-2/3 the HP.

So maybe an IS350 sport and a 2nd hand Lotus Elise or Turbo MR-2 Spider.

Having to choose ONLY between the 2 .... 50/50... Put the V8 in an E46 chassis and my choice becomes clear....A V8 in a 1stt gen IS isnt so bad either.... ahhh decisions decisions
Old 03-20-07, 02:20 PM
Manoj
Driver

I am a daily driver and I dont plan to take the cars on Race-tracks and I am going with IS-F, bcoz the interior of IS-F is much much better than M3 ( Comparing with the spy pics posted on M3 post forums.). In terms of Luxury, I guess IS-F will be better than M3 too.

I wouldn't mind taking a corner at 10-20 mph less than that of M3.

I dont think, that handling matters that much on Miami roads; where I have hardly seen any Curving Roads.... LoL!

I would have probably settled with IS-350 and but I love the styling on IS-F and I would take the extra 100+ HP!!!

Last edited by Manoj; 03-20-07 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: ***Would you buy IS-F or E92 M3?***