IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs M3: M3 Wins by Landslide in a POLL I Made on another forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 08:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
You obviously drive an auto.......but honestly I would rather have the clutch and manually shift I don't care fi the SMG is faster. With true manual you get a better feel for the car.
You like generalizing? Let's generalize then shall we?

You're obviously an amateur and not a "true" enthusiast (whatever that means) since you'd take an inferior technology because you like the way a stick feels in your hand. Give me a break. You know I don't mean that, but that is just an excuse you made to make yourself feel better about a decision you've made before being given the choice.

The IS-F tranny is supposed to drive just like an SMG tranny; albiet it shifts a little slower at 1/10th of a second; but thats still faster than you can shift a manual. Not to mention all the other features I've read about it... I'll be holding my opinion AFTER I see both on the road and in the reviews. (not Motortrend ; aka TrendyBMWFanboys)

FYI: Bodybuilding.com is a joke. Its a bunch of adolescent kids still in high school that lie about how big or how strong they are; of course they'll pick the M3... if there's one thing that people under 21 (and many over still) are REALLY good at; is making overgeneralized statements and uninformed decisions.
Old 04-15-07, 09:58 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
You like generalizing? Let's generalize then shall we?

You're obviously an amateur and not a "true" enthusiast (whatever that means) since you'd take an inferior technology because you like the way a stick feels in your hand. Give me a break. You know I don't mean that, but that is just an excuse you made to make yourself feel better about a decision you've made before being given the choice.

The IS-F tranny is supposed to drive just like an SMG tranny; albiet it shifts a little slower at 1/10th of a second; but thats still faster than you can shift a manual. Not to mention all the other features I've read about it... I'll be holding my opinion AFTER I see both on the road and in the reviews. (not Motortrend ; aka TrendyBMWFanboys)

FYI: Bodybuilding.com is a joke. Its a bunch of adolescent kids still in high school that lie about how big or how strong they are; of course they'll pick the M3... if there's one thing that people under 21 (and many over still) are REALLY good at; is making overgeneralized statements and uninformed decisions.

Um ok.......do u feel better now? The IS-F Fanboy club has begun......until proven otherwise Manual M3> IS-F

Cheers,
Old 04-15-07, 10:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Guys let's keep this friendly and impersonal please.
Old 04-15-07, 11:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by linh811
a chipped 335i will likely run with the ISF..........
A chipped monkey right now will likely to run with the IS-F and beat E92 M3.
Old 04-24-07, 10:21 PM
B2001AS
Driver

Definitely M3!
Old 09-10-07, 02:11 PM
Wassa786
Driver

I don't understand why people think a chipped 335i would stay w/ an M3...you're comparing like a modded MB to an AMG MB....one is obviously MUCH better build quality. For the sake of this forum, it's like saying a modded IS350 keeps up w/ an IS-F...build quality is not the same on these models...
Old 09-10-07, 03:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,777 Posts

As good as the IS-F will be, it will be fabulous for what it is intended to be. A luxury car with more edginess than any Lexus has ever offered. It is a step in the right direction.

However, when you throw the M3 in the picture, like most said the complexion changes since BMW has dominated the luxury sports car segment. The lap times of M cars (m3 GTR, M3 CSL, E92 M3) at the fastest and toughest track (Nurburgring) speak for itself. M is what BMW dwells upon for reputation.

M3 is already out in Europe and is doing astonishingly well in performance comparos by beating out strong competitors like Audi R8, RS4, S5, Corvette C6 base while running neck-and-neck with the Porsche 911 Carrera S (not base). With a 0-60 in 4.3 secs 0 - 200 KM/H (125 mph) in only 15.2 secs, it is seriously fast.

To topple an M3 over, is a tall order. I have yet to see any Lexus topple over a BMW, let alone an M car (335i vs IS350, GS430 vs 545i, IS300 vs 330i etc.)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-10-07 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 03:41 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Is everyone forgetting about how much that god damn 5.0L must be restricted if its not getting a guzzler tax ? ? If they got 306 from a N/A 3.5 do you really think an extra 2 cylinders and 1.5 liters would only yield at most 100 horses ? ? That thing will run 0-60 stock 4.6 and with an exahust/intake and if someone freakin finally cracks lexus ecu that thing will easily make 500+ and run if not smoke with the m5's out there. The ISF is so highly underrated and restricted just like the viper. We all no the current gen is able to make 900-1400 hp on a stock block. The potency of that motor is unbelievable and im sure weve all seen the 2300 rwhp viper . . .

And who cares about Nurburging track times . . . out on the street you can have a 100 hp disadvantage and still win by a mile, its a drivers game out on the street and the risks he's willing to take
Old 09-10-07, 03:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vip3r1850
And who cares about Nurburging track times . . . out on the street you can have a 100 hp disadvantage and still win by a mile, its a drivers game out on the street and the risks he's willing to take
With a 100 HP disadvantage, if the car wins then the other car owner with 100 more HP needs to go and sell his car because he cannot drive worth a crap.

As far as I can tell, this thread is about which car is better out of the box. No one knows anything about the modding potential of each car, internal modifications and the corresponding costs at this point.

You think I am stupid to quote Nurburgring? Who cares about Nurburgring? Only people who have cars that are straight line wonders. That is the muscle car mentality. Might as well buy an supercharged SVT Cobra and with proper mods, it can destroy both these cars in straight line for half the cost.

Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line depending on how deep the pockets are. That is where it ends for them. With cars costing this much out of the box, you have to be filthy rich and very determined to spend a lot of money to get 1000 HP out of it.

In the real racing world, it is about being flat-out fast in straight line as well being fast at high speed corners and braking.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-10-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 04:11 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
With a 100 HP disadvantage, if the car wins then the other car owner with 100 more HP needs to go and sell his car because he cannot drive worth a crap.

As far as I can tell, this thread is about which car is better out of the box. No one knows anything about the modding potential of each car and the corresponding costs.

You think I am stupid to quote Nurburgring? Who cares about Nurburgring? Only people who have cars that are straight line wonders. That is the muscle car mentality. Might as well buy an supercharged SVT Cobra and with proper mods, it can destroy both these cars in straight line for half the cost.

Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line depending on how deep the pockets are. That is where it ends for them. With cars costing this much out of the box, you have to be filthy rich and very determined to spend a lot of money to get 1000 HP out of it.

In the real racing world, it is about being fast in straight line as well being fast at high speed corners and braking.
Ohh please everyone is so over exagerrating with this track car did this and this track car can do that . . .

I have yet to see an m3 out on the street actually use all of its "handling capabilities" especially here in NY where its freaking stop and go stop and go and my blown 331 stroker will wheelie over both these cars but lets not even put that into play. Even racing out on the highway you use maybe 60% of your suspensions capabilities...

And just like you said high speed cornering and braking, where in NY you gonna take a corner at over 120 . . .

And just like those stupid sti's with those huge jet wings on the back, does anyone know that a recent studying yielded results that a spoiler begins to actually created downforce at over 110 ? ? LoL
Old 09-10-07, 04:16 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

the 2008 m3 is lacking both steering response and good brakes...not a good start for the new m3...which is suppose to be performance orienated
Old 09-10-07, 04:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh please everyone is so over exagerrating with this track car did this and this track car can do that . . .

I have yet to see an m3 out on the street actually use all of its "handling capabilities" especially here in NY where its freaking stop and go stop and go and my blown 331 stroker will wheelie over both these cars but lets not even put that into play. Even racing out on the highway you use maybe 60% of your suspensions capabilities...

And just like you said high speed cornering and braking, where in NY you gonna take a corner at over 120 . . .

And just like those stupid sti's with those huge jet wings on the back, does anyone know that a recent studying yielded results that a spoiler begins to actually created downforce at over 110 ? ? LoL
^^^

No offense, but street racing is for losers. If your muscle car wheelies over other cars on the streets. What can I say? One of those days, a cop will revoke your license (Nick Hogan rings a bell and what he did to the beautiful yellow 700 WHP Supra and his passenger friend).

When M3's (or even STi or IS-F or LF-A etc.) acceleration, handling and braking are in question, it is while considering the right place. Around a race track circuit, which most of the cities in NA have it. I see tons of M3 around the local race tracks (like that nice Leguna seca IS-F was featured at), drag strips and auto cross circuits. That is where it should be. Aside from the drag strip, your muscle car will not able to do much there.

Originally Posted by inxexisten
the 2008 m3 is lacking both steering response and good brakes...not a good start for the new m3...which is suppose to be performance orienated
Even if it is lacking in steering feel or the brakes squeal after a few laps (they are still competition compound brakes), that does not change the fact that it has a fabulous engine and a superb handling car that can run extremely fast run the race track and around the slaloms.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-10-07 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 06:54 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I would take the IS-F tracking when I get one...^_^ My friend used to take his Evo 8 tracking and I would do it too.
Old 09-10-07, 09:03 PM
ride450
Driver School Candidate

You know, why buy a sports car at all? Im sure everyone cant even use the full potential of a Civic on normal city roads so why am I seeing Porsches, M3's, and, soon enough, IS-Fs on the road? Its plain old fact that the world is obsessed with excess. People want what they can't have, or in some cases what other people can't have. Sure 90% of Ferrari owners arent gonna go beat their car up at the Nurburgring in their lifetime so why do they own them? Why not a Camry which is much less costly? Your argument is very close minded and your opinion needs a reality check.

Also, if you ever paid attention in the most basic of physics courses you would understand that a spoiler begins to create downforce the second air flows over it. The faster or more intense the airflow, the more downforce. To say that downforce suddenly just appears at the magical speed of 110 is ridiculous. I agree that most spoilers on cars these days are purely aesthetic but the amount of downforce has a number of factors including the angle of the spoiler, the size and the shape. If I were you, I would be seriously questioning the credibility of those so called "recent studies"
Old 09-10-07, 09:21 PM
is-fan
Driver

I just checked, and the IS-F now has a narrow lead over the M3, probably because of the link from clublexus

BMW M3---------------------------------- 85 --- 42.93%
Lexus IS-F ----------------------------- 93 --- 46.97%
other: Audi RS4, Mercedez C63 AMG, etc - 20 --- 10.10%

Quick Reply: IS-F vs M3: M3 Wins by Landslide in a POLL I Made on another forum