IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Steering/Handling of the IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 11:07 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/Handling of the IS-F

How do you think this car will handle? I was contemplating on getting one but just knowing how boring it is to drive the IS 350, I'm just wondering if the IS-F will be similar in that department. I want to get a really fun-to-drive car with great speed and I don't know if the IS-F will deliver in handling. What do you think?
Old 06-15-07, 11:40 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

totally speculative since no one outside of Toyota/Lexus has driven the car... but I'm going to guess it won't be as responsive-handling or fun to drive as the M3... just based on the different philosophies of BMW and Lexus (how they balance performance and luxury). I haven't read anywhere that the IS-F has additional chasiss bracing or increased structural rigidity, but I would assume they'll beef up the usual suspension parts (springs, struts, sways). Just imagine an IS350 with those same parts upgraded with aftermarket parts -- my sense is that there'll be some improvement, but in the end the chassis is still the same and if you think it's a boring drive now, the incremental changes probably won't change your mind. Of course I hope I'm wrong and the car turns out to be an M3 killer, and blows all our minds.
Old 06-15-07, 11:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the handling will be very good. Competitive. But we wont know for sure until one is available to test. If you think your IS350 is boring to drive with all your mods, maybe you're in search of something with a third pedal and a proper clutch??
Old 06-16-07, 09:01 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I want to get a really fun-to-drive car with great speed and I don't know if the IS-F will deliver in handling. What do you think?
Think Boxster S, with a six speed tranny.
Old 06-16-07, 09:52 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
How do you think this car will handle? I was contemplating on getting one but just knowing how boring it is to drive the IS 350, I'm just wondering if the IS-F will be similar in that department. I want to get a really fun-to-drive car with great speed and I don't know if the IS-F will deliver in handling. What do you think?
If it is borring then sell it. Go buy a bmer, it's more fun to drive.
Old 06-16-07, 03:05 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

mr2, supra, celica alltrac are all good examples of what toyota has done in the past.. there are more cars but my point is... if they put their mind to it they can make a good car..
Old 06-16-07, 03:22 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
mr2, supra, celica alltrac are all good examples of what toyota has done in the past.. there are more cars but my point is... if they put their mind to it they can make a good car..
he is right
Old 06-16-07, 10:52 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

my other car is a Toyota MR2 Spyder, which is arguably the best-handling street car Toyota has ever built. But it's a mid-engine RWD chassis weighing only 2250 lbs. It would take fantastic engineering to make a FR chasiss weighing 3500 lbs handle just as well. I definitely choose my IS350 with supple leather seats, 306hp and ML stereo as the ride to drive to work in, but when I really want to go canyon carving or go to the track, I'll take the MR2for true driving satisfaction.
Old 07-03-07, 05:22 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

hopefully the rear sway on this car isnt 15mm like that of the 350. Hopefully its around 22 24
Old 07-03-07, 06:14 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

also elise takes toyota parts... think bout it... out of all the cars in the world.. they chose toyota....
Old 07-03-07, 06:28 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

also elise takes toyota parts... think bout it... out of all the cars in the world.. they chose toyota....
Dont they use only the engine? I can be wrong
Old 07-03-07, 06:56 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

hence parts...i believe tranny also.. i could be wrong....
Old 07-03-07, 07:16 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the ISF lighter than the IS350?
Old 07-03-07, 07:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

hence parts...i believe tranny also.. i could be wrong....
yes it uses the toyota transmisison, but what makes the elise handle/feel so great isn't the engine. its the chassis/suspension/weight/etc that makes the car what it is. The engine moves the car and has nothing to do with handling (other than weight factor).

We'll have to see what Toyota does to the IS-F. Even if the IS350's chassis isn't that great, it can be tweaked. Just like how Honda was able to tweak the run of the mill civic and integra to create one of the best handling cars out there: the CTR and ITR.
Old 07-04-07, 03:26 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

sorry i went a little off topic actually... totally forgot this was talkin bout steering and handling...

anyhow .. toyota has made one of the best rally cars in the past.. to me a rally car is a true test of performance. They've won many times in the past... If you really get to know what they've done to the St185 celica gt4 ... it's really amazing how much technology there was in the 1990...

i will be disappointed if this IS-F comes out to be crappy... i won't be gettin one , but i jus wish toyota will start going back into makin performance cars again..

Quick Reply: Steering/Handling of the IS-F