Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
To Lucky IS-F riders :

1st Q :

What is your thought on its Ride quality ? Is it good enough for a Daily driver ? Or did Lexus made the suspension stiff enough for a Race-track performance ?

2nd Q :

Is there any advantage of getting a ML system? Or Lexus V8 sound system is going to Overirde the ML system easily....
it was on the track, not normal roads where there are bumps, dips, and imprefections. it's too impossible to talk about rid quality

it's definitely a lot louder inside the car than the is350, but then the car was almost at wot all the time, so i don't know.
Old 08-16-07, 06:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
HAHA

After going to Laguna Seca for 20+ years, and a bit of practice on GT3, it was a joy to pitch an LS600HL through the turns. I am extreemly impressed at how well the car behaved. Being such a long and heavy vehicle, it behaved like a much lighter and shorter car. I have driven / drifted many luxury sized cars in my time, and none of them came close the control and stability of the LS600. It was simply amazing to push thie car hard on a race track.

Too bad there were sloooow IS350 and GS430H drivers in front of me. Funny thing is I would put-put-put down the straightaways to get some space, and still catch up to them as I exited the turns.

So James were you behind me when I was driving? I would of loved to see a video of my run. I was trying to use all the track and hit the apex and drift out to the outside berms on each turn.

Haven't had this much fun since I went to the Lexus Performance Driving School a couple of years back.
and it definitely didn't hurt to have a good instructor on my side guiding me through. too bad i still failed to floor the car sooner and harder out of the turns (probably due to my previous trauma..... ), when the pro driver did it in the is-f, i totally learned how much harder i could have gone

yeah, too bad, no one had video of me @_@
Old 08-16-07, 06:28 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and it definitely didn't hurt to have a good instructor on my side guiding me through. too bad i still failed to floor the car sooner and harder out of the turns (probably due to my previous trauma..... ), when the pro driver did it in the is-f, i totally learned how much harder i could have gone

yeah, too bad, no one had video of me @_@

PS - your wife "MIMI" scared the krap out of my wife "INDGOGRL" when she got really loose in the corkscrew.

I guess I should of set up the Playstation in the Hotel Room so we could of practiced Laguna Seca on GT3 the nite before.

As far as your "previous" trauma, sorry, I don't have that turn to practice on my Playstation, though we DO have some video footage of that !!!

At the end of the day, I am sure I speak for all participants that this was an event of a lifetime and it will be hard to top this activity next year. ; )

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-16-07 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 06:37 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VelvetBlue
It was louder, faster, stiffer than any current IS. The transmission shifted in .1 sec and automatically blipped the throttle on downshifts. The driver told me the traction control has multiple settings but he said it never came on during our test drive and it even allowed the car to drift some but still did not come on.
Can you elaborate on what it means to blip the throttle on downshifts? I'm curious...
Old 08-16-07, 07:12 PM
kcirde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks
Can you elaborate on what it means to blip the throttle on downshifts? I'm curious...
I also rode in the IS-F also yesterday..

Blip the gas to match the engine speed to the lower gear. So when the gear engages it's not a hard "hit" or upsets the chassis during the down shift.

Similar when you heel/toe downshift in a manual trans car.
Old 08-16-07, 07:42 PM
GGP4me
Driver

PS - your wife "MIMI" scared the krap out of my wife "INDGOGRL" when she got really loose in the corkscrew.
I think the lady Lexus owners on this board really wanted to test out the capacity of this "legendary" track called Laguna Seca. I've been hearing brief conversations, throughout the day, of these ladies "testing" the features of these cars.

Glen, Henry and Will need to limit the time the wives are on PS3 or XBox

So James were you behind me when I was driving? I would of loved to see a video of my run.
I was indeed behind you during your run and I'll need to review the footage I have of your run. But I was having a hard time keeping my camera steady as "my driver" was being just as aggressive in his driving. I think he was "following your line".
Old 08-16-07, 08:23 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AH ok...that makes sense...I had a brain fart, for some reason I was thinking of a blip on the upshift. Had me wondering why would it want to chirp the tires....lol.
Old 08-16-07, 11:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, you guys are really lucky. No such event in Canada. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 08-16-07, 11:25 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Manoj
To Lucky IS-F riders :

1st Q :

What is your thought on its Ride quality ? Is it good enough for a Daily driver ? Or did Lexus made the suspension stiff enough for a Race-track performance ?

2nd Q :

Is there any advantage of getting a ML system? Or Lexus V8 sound system is going to Overirde the ML system easily....
I'll take a stab at the first question. Ride quality was nice, I didn't think it was stiff at all. But you also have to remember we were @ Laguna Seca too. It can hold its own on the track in factory form.
Old 08-18-07, 11:08 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VelvetBlue
It was louder, faster, stiffer than any current IS. The transmission shifted in .1 sec and automatically blipped the throttle on downshifts. .
What does that mean, do you hear a chirp?

Thx for the pics!

BTW, I missed it, why did you sell you '06 IS350 for an '07?
Old 08-19-07, 01:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ES3
What does that mean, do you hear a chirp?

Thx for the pics!

BTW, I missed it, why did you sell you '06 IS350 for an '07?
when you down shift, the computer will blipped the gas a bit to match the rpm so there is no jerking, especially when you down shift into high rpm

valvet blue bought the 06 is350, sold it for the 07 ls460, and then sold the ls to get the 07 is350 again, which is better fit for his family
Old 08-19-07, 07:37 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
when you down shift, the computer will blipped the gas a bit to match the rpm so there is no jerking, especially when you down shift into high rpm
So the computer feeds a lttle more gas on downshifts? I would expect more gas to actually increase the jerkiness. No?
Old 08-19-07, 07:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
So the computer feeds a lttle more gas on downshifts? I would expect more gas to actually increase the jerkiness. No?
Think of it as a manual but without the cluth pedal and the shift stick.

When you downshift on a manual car, you try to rev match so you dont get a sudden jerk. To rev match on a downshift, you usually need to give it gas to rev up the engine a bit.
Old 08-19-07, 08:34 AM
vip3r1850
Driver

that def. sounds like an awesome feature, i hate that jerkiness from my car when i mess around with my auto.
Old 08-19-07, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ES3
correct, if you have driven stick shift before you would know how to double clutch or rev match to create a ultra smooth down shift

for example, in your 2is, if you are going 60mph in 5th gear, suddenly you down shift to 2nd (assume no red line), i bet the car jerks like hell. but the blipping to give gas and rev the engine up to 5000rpm or so first before engaging the gear

Quick Reply: Just got a ride in the IS-F