IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just got a ride in the IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 09:56 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
correct, if you have driven stick shift before you would know how to double clutch or rev match to create a ultra smooth down shift

for example, in your 2is, if you are going 60mph in 5th gear, suddenly you down shift to 2nd (assume no red line), i bet the car jerks like hell. but the blipping to give gas and rev the engine up to 5000rpm or so first before engaging the gear
I'm probably overthinking this, but in a manual, if you downshift from say 5th to 3rd, and do nothing with the gas, the rpms of course jump way up and the car jerks. How does adding gas make a car jerk less, in a manual anyway? If anything wouldn't adding gas make the rpms go even higher than they would have otherwise?

Or is it that when you put the clutch in the rpms drop off, and the "blip" is adding gas to bring the rpms back up to near what they would be when the gear is engaged?
Old 08-19-07, 10:40 AM
seanyepez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
I'm probably overthinking this, but in a manual, if you downshift from say 5th to 3rd, and do nothing with the gas, the rpms of course jump way up and the car jerks. How does adding gas make a car jerk less, in a manual anyway? If anything wouldn't adding gas make the rpms go even higher than they would have otherwise?

Or is it that when you put the clutch in the rpms drop off, and the "blip" is adding gas to bring the rpms back up to near what they would be when the gear is engaged?
You answered your own question. The blip of the throttle with the clutch in brings the revs to the point that they would be in the lower gear so the transmission's synchros do not need to work as hard. This is smoother and prevents the jerking motion.
Old 08-19-07, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes that's the whole point of double clutch or rev match. you rev up the engine before engaging the gear to create a smooth transition. otherwise, you are right, it's pointless
Old 09-02-07, 08:52 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Good deal! It looks good in red. I'd love to see some more color combinations.

The front badge looks "eh", too decal like. It's still not black chrome for the grill surround and they didn't change the exhaust (J/K I didn't expect that). If several show up at SEMA it will be interesting to see what they have done to it.

I'm very surprised to hear about the brakes. That sounds odd.

Overall looks and sounds good though. C'mon 2008.
Looks like Lexus will be bringing some for us to drive at SEMA... https://www.isfdrive.com/
Old 09-03-07, 05:49 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I do have 1 question for anyone who knows...

Q: Shortly after the press release someone confirmed that the gear shift *Direction* in the manual mode would have the *+* sign at the bottom and *-* sign on top. However, in all these pictures it's the same as IS350. So, should it not be the opposite of current models since, I thought Lexus said they would fix it by the time IS-F comes out (i.e IS350, GS, etc..)?!?!?
Old 09-04-07, 12:25 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3

Yeah it jumps the rpm's up to the point that the transmission would have done anyway. By having the engine bump up the rpms (more gas) prior to engaging the gear, it makes it a much smoother action. No jerkyness of the transmission speeding up the engine.

Wow, now I have to decide what color I want. That blue looks awesome.
Old 09-04-07, 06:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3

in my last car, manual 2000 prelude, I would always give it a little bit of gas to rev match when changing gears on up and downshifts, which made for very smooth gear changes. I could change gears smoother than most automatics.

Also you will lose some revs during a gear change, so blipping does two things, keep the power consistant instead of a momentary loss and keeps the gear changes smooth
Old 09-04-07, 06:52 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ES3... if you drive an automatic.. you can see that the tranny does something similar so you don't feel the jerk in your car when it changes gears... (usually downshift) In a manual this luxury is taken away and to make up for you ... you hit the gas a little to match the rpm for a smoother transition...
Old 09-04-07, 08:01 AM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
in my last car, manual 2000 prelude, I would always give it a little bit of gas to rev match when changing gears on up and downshifts, which made for very smooth gear changes. I could change gears smoother than most automatics.

Also you will lose some revs during a gear change, so blipping does two things, keep the power consistant instead of a momentary loss and keeps the gear changes smooth
So your saying that throttle blipping is also a performance factor ?
Old 09-04-07, 08:06 AM
BUST
Pole Position

Finally no studio pics.. Love it!
Old 09-04-07, 09:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by vip3r1850
Not really. It just keeps the chassis from getting upset.

You guys who don't get this need to ride a bike. If you don't blip the throttle on a bike, you end up on your head. It's fundamental to being smooth.
Old 09-04-07, 01:43 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

in my opinion... i think it helps through turns and cornering...... more heel toe.. but to me it makes a huge difference... so i say yes on performance..
Old 09-04-07, 03:59 PM
singleT
Driver School Candidate

^^^ Correct

Throttle blipping has most of its benefits on a track. It uses the engine to help brake in to a turn, and allows for smooth turn ins into the turn without changing your momentum and sliding out of your line or apex. Doing all that will put you in a lower gear and in optimal power range to exit the corner.
Old 09-04-07, 08:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

If you are using the engine to brake into a turn, you really need a track day with a competent instructor.

There is only ONE reason to blip the throttle - match engine speed with road speed and NOT upset the chassis. There is no other reason, and it has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with smoothness.

SERIOUSLY - some of you guys need to ride a bike at speed. You'd get an education you can't get with four wheels under you.
Old 09-04-07, 10:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you are using the engine to brake into a turn, you really need a track day with a competent instructor.

There is only ONE reason to blip the throttle - match engine speed with road speed and NOT upset the chassis. There is no other reason, and it has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with smoothness.

SERIOUSLY - some of you guys need to ride a bike at speed. You'd get an education you can't get with four wheels under you.
Highly agreed, the pro instructors/drivers made it a point to keep the IS-F in a fluid motion. The more you pitch and roll the car, the slower the car gets. Keeping the line is crucial especially in competition racing.

Quick Reply: Just got a ride in the IS-F