IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MotorTrend First Test - 2008 Lexus IS F

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 07:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Interesting how Edmunds', Motor Trend's, and Car and Driver's reviews are all COMPLETELY different.

Edmunds says its a track car with a rough ride on normal roads

Motor Trend loves it all around

Car and Driver says it's not as raw as it's rivals and does a great job matching handling and ride.

Ehhhh
I'm trying to figure that out too.
Old 10-24-07, 07:59 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

yes this looks alot better... im kinda confused on why the 0-60 mph is fast than the 5-60mph
0-60 standing is always fater than 5-60 street start.
Old 10-24-07, 08:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
That was the only thing I was worried about..... suspension being stiff from day1.

I guess I will have to test drive it someday ....... before I order it
if you're truly concerned about this.....its the wrong car for you.

99% of the time, the more sporty and better handling a car is, the rougher it will ride.

but with an estimated $64000 as tested price tag....FORGET IT!!

Last edited by bagwell; 10-24-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-24-07, 09:19 AM
Manoj
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
if you're truly concerned about this.....its the wrong car for you.

99% of the time, the more sporty and better handling a car is, the rougher it will ride.

but with an estimated $64000 as tested price tag....FORGET IT!!
I was expecting Adaptive Suspension based on driving Mode.... but thats not the case with IS-F! Unlike its competitors...

and to settle with Stiffer suspension for daily driving with such a hefty price tag of $65000K and taxes

I will prefer to be ONE sec slower and better Daily Driver car and save $20,000 with IS350
Old 10-24-07, 11:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
I was expecting Adaptive Suspension based on driving Mode.... but thats not the case with IS-F! Unlike its competitors...

and to settle with Stiffer suspension for daily driving with such a hefty price tag of $65000K and taxes

I will prefer to be ONE sec slower and better Daily Driver car and save $20,000 with IS350
IS-F is a full fledged uncompromising sports car....
of course for $64K you could save yourself $20K and get a 438hp vette that would kill the IS-F and not be mistaken for a "regular" IS [I may be a little biased]

Last edited by bagwell; 10-24-07 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 01:30 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
IS-F is a full fledged uncompromising sports car....
of course for $64K you could save yourself $20K and get a 438hp vette that would kill the IS-F and not be mistaken for a "regular" IS [I may be a little biased]
Or you could spend a little more and get GTR.... which is better in speed and performance and probably reliability too http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6280...-nu/index.html
Old 10-24-07, 01:51 PM
aco
Rookie

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Or you could spend a little more and get GTR.... which is better in speed and performance and probably reliability too http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6280...-nu/index.html
First time I ever heard anyone say that a Nissan would be more reliable than a Lexus. How do you figure?
Old 10-24-07, 02:54 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aco
First time I ever heard anyone say that a Nissan would be more reliable than a Lexus. How do you figure?
Haha nah i didnt mean that.... ofcourse not lexus is the most reliable brand period... i meant more reliable than a corvette...
Old 10-24-07, 03:54 PM
Manoj
Driver

Originally Posted by inxexisten
How fast will a IS-F go on Nurburing high 8's ???????????
Old 10-24-07, 03:58 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

yes this looks alot better... im kinda confused on why the 0-60 mph is fast than the 5-60mph
The short answer is plenty of drivetrain abuse is involved in that 0-60 mph number. Obviously, Lexus left the nannies off the launch programming. The 5-60 mph rolling start is just dropping the hammer when the car is moving already. C&D readily admits that most owners wouldn't want to do what they do to get their published numbers. That is a great number for a sedan, really, really fast!
Old 10-24-07, 05:40 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

car and driver is usually biased towards bimmers, so if they think this car is great, im sure it is. i haven't read the review yet.
Old 10-24-07, 06:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Interesting how Edmunds', Motor Trend's, and Car and Driver's reviews are all COMPLETELY different.

Edmunds says its a track car with a rough ride on normal roads

Motor Trend loves it all around

Car and Driver says it's not as raw as it's rivals and does a great job matching handling and ride.

Ehhhh
Read the Edmunds's second opinion, where an editor disagrees with what's said about the harsh ride in the main article. Just goes to show how differently a different butt can feel.

C&D did give the IS-F's ride the highest praise ever: "At leisure speeds, the air is hushed, Lexus-like, with just a distant snort from the engine and the extra thrum of the fat summer Michelins disturbing the peace. Given the low profile of the rubber mounted to the 19-inch forged aluminum rims, the ride is tightly controlled but commendably mellow. The ride-and-handling balance is perhaps the IS F’s biggest achievement. It makes allowances for road fissures and drops the body into holes with cushioned lurches."

So it's up to us the readers to decide whom to believe.
Old 10-24-07, 06:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magazine numbers... ie: Carrera GT 0-60 3.6sec, in the real world? more like 5sec, why? actually harnessing the power to the tires contact patches is a bit different in the real world...

BUT average driver in is-f? beliveable... is-f is auto, just mash the peddle with a 'sport' type TC, auto will always go quicker in a straight line... hmm... yea sounds good. 60k thou... there are some very capable cars in the 60k range, stock or modified to a 60k limit. Apples n oranges you say? I dunno, 60k is a huge chunk of change either way you decide to spend it...

These factory hyper sedans are nice no doubt, i would love to own one but i wouldnt wanna pay my own money to buy one. Truth is, a is350 is all you really need for a competent street car. IS-F is just a matchbox toy for rich ppl who will soon get bored of it when the next latest and greatest car comes around.
Old 10-25-07, 03:57 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
If it really comes to ~60k, I'll just save a few more dollars for a GT-R when the mark ups end.
EXACTLY!
Old 10-25-07, 04:24 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't really understand all of the gripes about pricing from you people. All of the comments about M3's and GT-R's and whatever else.

The GT-R will likely be priced FROM 70K and is a bare bones performance car. The IS-F is a different animal and will offer many creature comforts and luxury extras that the Nissan won't. IS-F to GTR is apples to oranges, so if you are comparing the two perhaps you need to rethink your priorities.

Second, this car is going to be priced a few thousand less than the M3, RS4, and C63 while offering the same or better performance. The reviews so far have been basically glowing- 416HP, 0-60 in 4.6 sec, beautiful exhaust note, perhaps better handling than the M3, 8DS tranny, four doors, Lexus quality and interior features, stunning exterior...I guess I am wondering what about this car ISN'T worth 60K?

I'm really, really puzzled with many of you Maybe if the reviews were bad I would understand but EVERY review has noted this as a phenomenal drivers car and praised the handling and performance. The M3 received mixed notions on such characteristics. Who would have thought a Lexus could out-handle the mighty M3? And even backing that up is one of the best 8 cylinder engines on the market, with a flawless transmission.

I don't get it.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend First Test - 2008 Lexus IS F