IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the IS-F's speed performance?
I'm very disappointed with the numbers
29.84%
I'm very happy with the numbers
28.23%
I'm neither too happy nor too disappointed
41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 03:04 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fix where it says C&D claims 13.7 on the ISF..
Old 10-25-07, 03:10 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gshb
according to the estimated prices, for an extra 2 grand who wouldnt take the m3 over isf?
An estimation is what it is! BMW is known to charge you for an arm and a leg for additional options...

As far as I know, the IS-F has gotten better reviews than M3.
Old 10-25-07, 04:09 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
4 tips coming out of a single piece domestic-looking muffler on the new M3

That is one BIG muffler though. It's probably about the size of 2 regular mufflers combined. With 8 cylinders operating @ 8300 RPM, yes, it NEEDS all that exhaust outlets

muffler has ONE tip, bumper has TWO holes.. now, that is lame.

@ 3800lbs + 170lbs driver and this car can move to 60 in 4.2s and 1/4 in 12.7s @ 114mph is damn quick. Even though only C&D manages that time so far, but this proves the car is capable of achieving it. The C63 weights similar and pulls the same time with 457hp and 443 ft lbs. Who else think the IS-F engine is underated?
Old 10-25-07, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
That is one BIG muffler though. It's probably about the size of 2 regular mufflers combined. With 8 cylinders operating @ 8300 RPM, yes, it NEEDS all that exhaust outlets

@ 3800lbs + 170lbs driver and this car can move to 60 in 4.2s and 1/4 in 12.7s @ 114mph is damn quick. Even though only C&D manages that time so far, but this proves the car is capable of achieving it. The C63 weights similar and pulls the same time with 457hp and 443 ft lbs. Who else think the IS-F engine is underated?
I think it is underated or maybe with an 8 speed tranny, it can offer blistering acceleration. The car can hit 186mph with the limiter off.

This IS-F is a true beast. The engine is a gem!!
Old 10-25-07, 04:48 PM
MI6
Driver School Candidate

Performance is fine but what about price? For 58-60K it's not a bad deal- but for 62K on up it starts to lose its value IMHO.....
Old 10-25-07, 05:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr

good thing the IS-F has 2 tips right?
Old 10-25-07, 08:47 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
good thing the IS-F has 2 tips right?
I take that back. You are right. Looking closely, each muffler has TWO tips so it is not lame like I thought.
Old 10-30-07, 04:42 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Domestic or not, at least those tips are real. What were the idiots who designed this thinking when they were doing it? "Maybe we can fool all the people as long as we have chrome-looking-things?" "No Toyota-San, we can spin them as weight savings feature"

Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?-isf_poser.jpg

As for performance numbers go, it's about what was expected. Heavy sled with slow-reving motor. Basically IS350 stuffed with V8.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lexus lists the official 0-60 in 4.6 on http://www.lexus.com/isf/isf/specs.html

4 tips coming out of a single piece domestic-looking muffler on the new M3

Old 10-30-07, 05:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I'm sure you know better than the guys on the design team cliff. Top Job. Keep it up! Thanks!!!!
Old 10-30-07, 06:49 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Domestic or not, at least those tips are real. What were the idiots who designed this thinking when they were doing it? "Maybe we can fool all the people as long as we have chrome-looking-things?" "No Toyota-San, we can spin them as weight savings feature"

Attachment 113608

As for performance numbers go, it's about what was expected. Heavy sled with slow-reving motor. Basically IS350 stuffed with V8.
I hate when you can see those big metal boxes that look like fuel tanks . . .

Ill take the isf wanna be real tips anyday
Old 10-30-07, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Attachment 113608

Hey bub, you do know while the vents on the side of the IS-F are functional for ventilation, the fender vents on the E92 M3 are there for show only. BMW states they didn't want to get the car dirty.

So before you continue to spout off on the IS-F exhaust, how about the BMW useless fender vents.

Old 10-31-07, 06:19 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Attachment 113608

wow, do you expect anyone to take your opinion as unbiased? you actually sound even prejudice. "toyota-san"? those toyota sans who developed the IS-F have probably double your IQ, there could be or there probably is a better reason why they did certains things.
Old 10-31-07, 06:30 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You damn right I'm biased. Biased toward performance cars and biased against performance-wannabe.

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
wow, do you expect anyone to take your opinion as unbiased? you actually sound even prejudice. "toyota-san"? those toyota sans who developed the IS-F have probably double your IQ, there could be or there probably is a better reason why they did certains things.
Old 10-31-07, 08:08 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

You damn right I'm biased. Biased toward performance cars and biased against performance-wannabe.
You know, I've been reading your posts in various threads. And frankly, I think you're probably not even an Enthusiast! And here's why....

1) You Claim to be an enthusiast yet, you don't know squat about cars and how they're designed, built, and engineered!

2) You claim to be a performance car enthusiast yet, you're b..iching about some stupid aesthetic muffler tips that can be easily modified. Moreover, the tips don't have any major significance on the performance of the car! The looks of the tips are subjective as some may like it and others' may not.

3) The IS-F being the very 1st of it's kind has a performance (i.e. suspension, engine performance, feel, etc) similar to the all *Hailed* German cars! Now, keep in mind that this is their 1st attempt! And they're able to be ON PAR with the German boys. Which, is pretty good.

4) Do you know about the "Toyota Way" and the "Toyota Production System"? I doubt it. That being said, the all mighty German companies are using the same principles and hailing Toyota Production System and how they do business! A good example of that is beating Benz in luxury few years after they launched the Lexus brand. Now, it's going to happen again with performance. Too bad though, since, people like you ("Enthusiast-wanabee") don't take competition seriously.

5) And as far as "Tradition" and "History" of a company having experience in the Motorsports world goes, IMO, is a total marketing BS! And I'm saying this from experience of ACTUALLY having worked at Toyota and currently designing and building my own engine! I can make a better car and an engine than most of the car companies, given enough resources at hand!

I am not trying to be a "Clue-less Lexus Fanboy" but, I am looking at things from a wider perspective as I think all the cars in this segment are amazing! And I've owned 2 of the 3 German Cars. So, save the "Lexus Fanboy" argument!

So, before you go and start bashing someone who is JUST getting into the business, I suggest you start thinking outside of the "Typical Clue-less Fanboy" world! Because while building a "Well Rounded" car incorporates not just Performance but, cost as well. And that is a Challenge! If you want ALL OUT performance car than just go and buy a souped up STI or something. Making a car involves maintaining Performance, Luxury, Cost, and Efficiency! And IMO, Lexus in the near future will be able to do that like no one has done it before! Companies nowadays meet either 1 or 2 of these criteria but, Lexus is aiming for all of them!

Last edited by Cornellian; 10-31-07 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 08:15 AM
LexFather

Well I'm biased against fanbois who add nothing of value and add nothing to the "community" spirit we strive hard to have.

Take a few days off to re-read the rules and maybe you can post in a constructive manner. There are ways to voice your opinion without offending Lexus owners on a Lexus forum.

Quick Reply: Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?