IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the IS-F's speed performance?
I'm very disappointed with the numbers
29.84%
I'm very happy with the numbers
28.23%
I'm neither too happy nor too disappointed
41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 10:21 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornellian
You know, I've been reading your posts in various threads. And frankly, I think you're probably not even an Enthusiast! And here's why....

1) You Claim to be an enthusiast yet, you don't know squat about cars and how they're designed, built, and engineered!

2) You claim to be a performance car enthusiast yet, you're b..iching about some stupid aesthetic muffler tips that can be easily modified. Moreover, the tips don't have any major significance on the performance of the car! The looks of the tips are subjective as some may like it and others' may not.

3) The IS-F being the very 1st of it's kind has a performance (i.e. suspension, engine performance, feel, etc) similar to the all *Hailed* German cars! Now, keep in mind that this is their 1st attempt! And they're able to be ON PAR with the German boys. Which, is pretty good.

4) Do you know about the "Toyota Way" and the "Toyota Production System"? I doubt it. That being said, the all mighty German companies are using the same principles and hailing Toyota Production System and how they do business! A good example of that is beating Benz in luxury few years after they launched the Lexus brand. Now, it's going to happen again with performance. Too bad though, since, people like you ("Enthusiast-wanabee") don't take competition seriously.

5) And as far as "Tradition" and "History" of a company having experience in the Motorsports world goes, IMO, is a total marketing BS! And I'm saying this from experience of ACTUALLY having worked at Toyota and currently designing and building my own engine! I can make a better car and an engine than most of the car companies, given enough resources at hand!

I am not trying to be a "Clue-less Lexus Fanboy" but, I am looking at things from a wider perspective as I think all the cars in this segment are amazing! And I've owned 2 of the 3 German Cars. So, save the "Lexus Fanboy" argument!

So, before you go and start bashing someone who is JUST getting into the business, I suggest you start thinking outside of the "Typical Clue-less Fanboy" world! Because while building a "Well Rounded" car incorporates not just Performance but, cost as well. And that is a Challenge! If you want ALL OUT performance car than just go and buy a souped up STI or something. Making a car involves maintaining Performance, Luxury, Cost, and Efficiency! And IMO, Lexus in the near future will be able to do that like no one has done it before! Companies nowadays meet either 1 or 2 of these criteria but, Lexus is aiming for all of them!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I'm biased against fanbois who add nothing of value and add nothing to the "community" spirit we strive hard to have.

Take a few days off to re-read the rules and maybe you can post in a constructive manner. There are ways to voice your opinion without offending Lexus owners on a Lexus forum.

lol, double pwned
Old 10-31-07, 10:29 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

has anyone ran the IS-F on the nurburgring?
id like to see that time vs M3 vs RS4 vs C63

that would the be only number im interested in apart from mpg and $$
Old 11-01-07, 06:01 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You should check out the LS...
no car has the exhaust directly attatched to the bumper, edmunds is just being retarded as usual.
Old 11-01-07, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Back to the subject at hand. Seeing the numbers for the IS-F has ensured my best spent dollar is for turbo upgrades to the Dawg, not a new car from Lexus that fails to even make second place in class while outweighing the Dawg by over 300 lbs. Time to take that down payment and get fuel, turbo, and some other bits instead of wasting it on a mid-pack effort.
Old 11-01-07, 09:56 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Back to the subject at hand. Seeing the numbers for the IS-F has ensured my best spent dollar is for turbo upgrades to the Dawg, not a new car from Lexus that fails to even make second place in class while outweighing the Dawg by over 300 lbs. Time to take that down payment and get fuel, turbo, and some other bits instead of wasting it on a mid-pack effort.
do whatever you want...heh...nobody is forcing you to get it...i mean it is what it is...
Old 11-02-07, 11:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think it was a good effort on their part. More than I expected in some ways.
Old 11-02-07, 12:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think that we might see more development of the IS-F or IS-F related parts and accessories.

Also, I have every reason to believe the engine is detuned for fuel economy purposes. More on that later. As a hint, the Five Axis IS-F at SEMA has a stock engine, but Five Axis has stated that currently their IS-F project is only at "Phase One" which is for looks only. With "Phase Two" the Five Axis crew is saying the engine will be a "monster" (their words).
Old 11-02-07, 11:59 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Trust me - I want the ISF to be the greatest thing since slice bread.. Yes, I was a bit disappointed in those early numbers but granted C/D had a very good time which can not be repeated by anyone else?

I was just browsing an old magazine and I was even more deppressed to see similar numbers from an SUV, yes SUV! The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 which has 420Hp and 5sp auto do 0-60 in 4.6 secs and the quarter in 13.2 and this is a Jeep that weighs 4805 lbs (according to Road & Track). Now you tell me how is this possible when a Jeep that is 1000 lbs heavier with 3 sp less in the tranny and 4 more horses achieve a similar time to what lexus says the ISF can do..? C'mon a JEEP?!?

Some thing is wrong here! With the ISF's weigh, balance, power and "Eight-Speed" Transmission should be doing the the test half-a-second better in all the the speed test the magazine does all day long..

Honestly, I just pray that the production cars are faster than these preliminary test vehicles..
Old 11-03-07, 01:23 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Trust me - I want the ISF to be the greatest thing since slice bread.. Yes, I was a bit disappointed in those early numbers but granted C/D had a very good time which can not be repeated by anyone else?

I was just browsing an old magazine and I was even more deppressed to see similar numbers from an SUV, yes SUV! The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 which has 420Hp and 5sp auto do 0-60 in 4.6 secs and the quarter in 13.2 and this is a Jeep that weighs 4805 lbs (according to Road & Track). Now you tell me how is this possible when a Jeep that is 1000 lbs heavier with 3 sp less in the tranny and 4 more horses achieve a similar time to what lexus says the ISF can do..? C'mon a JEEP?!?

Some thing is wrong here! With the ISF's weigh, balance, power and "Eight-Speed" Transmission should be doing the the test half-a-second better in all the the speed test the magazine does all day long..

Honestly, I just pray that the production cars are faster than these preliminary test vehicles..
i wonder how the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 will do against the IS-F on the track...heh probably the jeep will flip over...lol
Old 11-03-07, 07:35 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

i serously doubt a cherokee SRT8 will be able to beat or hang with a IS-F in a drag race. not to bring this up again, but American magazines definitely do post biased times for their cars (and bimmers). R&D listed IS-F's 0-60 at 6.0 secs, yes 6.0 secs and other magazines had similarly high numbers until one of them posted a respectable number and they all changed theirs in their new reviews. i dont think i saw this with domestic or bimmers. somehow they always have the correct times for those cars
Old 11-03-07, 07:42 AM
is-fan
Driver

The Jeep SRT8 is much faster than most people would expect for it's weight and power rating. It is a real beast right from the factory, and handles pretty well for what it is, a large SUV with a sport-tuned suspension. It's not exactly a practical SUV, but it is one fast ride. I believe that Chyrsler was very conservative with their power ratings on their SRT8 vehicles. I am a member of 300cforums.com and there is lots of information to back this up.

0-60 mph = 4.7 seconds
1/4 mi. = 13.36 seconds at 102.5 mph

Here is the review from autoweek.com for those of you who are unfamiliar with the Jeep SRT8:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60616008/1012

From a standstill, it will slam you back in the seat harder than a new Corvette for the first 50 or 60 feet
Old 11-03-07, 07:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs 4731 lbs has 420hp and 420 foot pounds of torque. That is GOBS more torque than the ISF. Torque is what moves weight. Yes, it weighs a lot but it's got the torque to move it. What does it matter who builds it? If Kia built a 500hp car that ran mid 11's would you still say "c'mon, a KIA?"

With that, IMO, the ISF will still be faster, certainly more reliable, nicer, and handle much better than the Daimler SUV. I mean, I know which one I'd rather own.
Old 11-03-07, 08:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Torque does NOT move weight. Only horsepower moves weight. Engine torque is completely configurable through the gearbox. That's WHY we have a gearbox in the first place. READ THIS.

Obviously the Jeep is geared to be quick and take advantage of the engine torque, but it isn't the torque that makes the difference, it's the gearing. It probably has a pretty low top speed too.
Old 11-03-07, 08:41 AM
is-fan
Driver

The top speed is "only" a claimed 155 mph for the Jeep SRT8, so it is no slouch in that department:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108449

When was the last time anyone on this forum drove 155 mph on the street?
Old 11-03-07, 10:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever the debate after my post of the JEEP - my point to all this madness is that a JEEP can achieve similar times with the ISF thus weighing 1000 pounds more and having 3 gears less and 4 Hp more. I'm not knocking the JEEP - i'm suggesting - if a JEEP can achieve mid 4 sec 0-60 times why can't the ISF be faster with more technology and better gearing (more gears) and weighing 1000 pounds less???

I mean - the JEEP is not a magical unicorn that defies the laws of physics.. It does what it was design to do - and it does it very well.. and according to all the wonderful talks about the ISF - I am asking - how did the ISF fall short ? The ISF is "suppose" to be a lot faster than the JEEP but the ISF only have similar times with the JEEP..and the JEEP is not just a straight line monster - it has a respectable skid pad rating at 0.85g which is better than most sports sedans (isn't the M3's skidpad at 0.87g) so this is very very good for an SUV that weighs 4800 pounds..

Edit: the IS350's skid pad rating is 0.80g and the GS430 skid pad is 0.85g. So would this JEEP flip on a track like someone said? I think not - just because its an American product does not mean its inferior to a Japanese product.

Now - Continue discussion.

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-03-07 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?