IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the IS-F's speed performance?
I'm very disappointed with the numbers
29.84%
I'm very happy with the numbers
28.23%
I'm neither too happy nor too disappointed
41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 09:27 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the IS-F at SEMA and was kinda disappointed but I think one has to remember that the car is aimed at being a luxury vehicle first and a sports sedan a very close second. The suspension is definitely impressive so although it doesn't zoom off in a straight line as fast as everyone was hoping, it definitely takes the curves flat. With numbers aside, I think it's a really nice car but Lexus definitely could have added a little more visual "wow" to the vehicle's interior

I would have liked to see more carbon fiber on the inside, I know there is some already but it's too subtle. By all means, I don't mean it should look like a ricer boy's honda with a carbon fiber dashmat or anything but the center console, which is CF, would have looked better had the CF extended it's way back under the center arm rest. Also, the dash looks too compartmentalized. It would have been nice to see something that looked like it was all one piece.

Just my thoughts.

cjw.
Old 11-07-07, 11:44 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
I drove the IS-F at SEMA and was kinda disappointed but I think one has to remember that the car is aimed at being a luxury vehicle first and a sports sedan a very close second. The suspension is definitely impressive so although it doesn't zoom off in a straight line as fast as everyone was hoping, it definitely takes the curves flat. With numbers aside, I think it's a really nice car but Lexus definitely could have added a little more visual "wow" to the vehicle's interior

I would have liked to see more carbon fiber on the inside, I know there is some already but it's too subtle. By all means, I don't mean it should look like a ricer boy's honda with a carbon fiber dashmat or anything but the center console, which is CF, would have looked better had the CF extended it's way back under the center arm rest. Also, the dash looks too compartmentalized. It would have been nice to see something that looked like it was all one piece.

Just my thoughts.

cjw.

just a thought...would you buy the car now that you have test driven it?...I want to know how many people that test drove the car would buy it now...
Old 11-07-07, 01:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was actually quite impressed by the IS-Fs interior... just looked at
a black exterior/white interior, and I quite liked the subtle blue stitching
on the armrest and door panels and the white carbon fiber trim -
classy and sporty at the same time.

I'm a bit disappointed with the horsepower ratings, but I suspect that
Lexus has slightly understated the numbers. I think we'll see better
performance numbers from examples of this car that aren't so "green."

I also like the fact that this car was tuned as more of a torque monster;
as I've gotten older I've come to realize that TORQUE is what makes a
street car fun. Drive a torqueless wonder like an S2000 or a
high-strung/hig rpm car and you'll quickly realize what I mean.

I'd love to see a rolling 40+ mph run between the new M3 and the IS-F.
I think that in the real world the IS-F will have some BMW fanboys
scratching their heads!
Old 11-07-07, 04:02 PM
Manoj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which numbers are we talking about .........

For a performance car a good lap time numbers speak for itself......... Can we expect a laptime for Nurburing where IS-F was tested ? or laptime at Fuji speedway where IS-F was developed ??????
Old 11-08-07, 11:14 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crazympg -

I had small thoughts of buying the IS-F but the practical side of me always came into play. The back seat is too small and I sometimes take passengers. Also, at $55-60k, we're talking almost new LS460 pricing (which starts at $61k) and you could definitely pick up a gently used LS460 for that price by next year. (I hate buying new cars)

Of course the LS460 is bigger but still it's no slouch in the 0-60 arena (5.4 seconds according to Lexus.com). Yes, the IS-F has a manufacturer's estimate of 4.6 seconds but I couldn't care less for that .8 of a second and according to a certain IS350 owner I know on here, the new LS can still drift.

So space and pricing aside...

Would I get the IS-F? Sure. I have a few good friends who own IS350s and after hearing their comments on what convinced them I noticed a common thread - they always mentioned the creature comforts of the Lexus over comparable cars. Nav, Bluetooth, keyless entry/start, vented seats, etc.
Old 11-09-07, 07:57 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
crazympg -

I had small thoughts of buying the IS-F but the practical side of me always came into play. The back seat is too small and I sometimes take passengers. Also, at $55-60k, we're talking almost new LS460 pricing (which starts at $61k) and you could definitely pick up a gently used LS460 for that price by next year. (I hate buying new cars)

Of course the LS460 is bigger but still it's no slouch in the 0-60 arena (5.4 seconds according to Lexus.com). Yes, the IS-F has a manufacturer's estimate of 4.6 seconds but I couldn't care less for that .8 of a second and according to a certain IS350 owner I know on here, the new LS can still drift.

So space and pricing aside...

Would I get the IS-F? Sure. I have a few good friends who own IS350s and after hearing their comments on what convinced them I noticed a common thread - they always mentioned the creature comforts of the Lexus over comparable cars. Nav, Bluetooth, keyless entry/start, vented seats, etc.
I spoke to a local Lexus dealership and the salesperson was telling me how there were dozens of deposits for the LS but none for the IS-F
Old 11-11-07, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Though the 30,000 rpm motor might be a good example of what gear reduction can do it really is an extreme example and has absolutely nothing to do with automotive design. Gearing in automotive design has limits and comes nowhere close to your example. Again, the article that you posted does in fact state that torque is what moves weight. The article discusses three things; HP, Torque and RPM and how they all relate together. It does not, however, discuss the relationship between torque and weight, which is what we're discussing, here. The fact remains: If you've got 10,000 lbs. to tow, what would you rather have, 600 HP and 300 ft. lbs. of torque, or the other way around? Within the limits of OEM automotive gearing, the answer is obvious.
Let's see, a 600 ft-lb engine turning 3000 rpm with a 2.33 gear or a 300 ft-lb engine turning 6000 rpm with a 4.66 gear? Which one would I want? I think they're exactly the same. And they're both well within the limits of automotive technology.

On topic - I still am very disappointed with the IS-F's numbers. If you are going to make a splash in a market segment and charge what Lexus wants for this car, it should be a class leader in every way.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-11-07 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 09:16 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after reading the review of the IS-F in Decembers Automobile magazine I was disapointed. One thing that caught my attention was that the F front was 90% more stiffer than the IS. The IS is fairly stiff already. The magazine called it a track star but loosing drivability and good looks. Maybe Nissans Skyline or the BMW new one series with the inline six turbo will be better car for an enthusiast and to my buddy at another post yep I am over 51 with a zipper, 10 month old daughter and two year old grandson. I take six different vitamins for old people in the morning and 5 at night. My little girl is a sweet heart and a joy.
Old 11-14-07, 12:34 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default review it yourself

I will drive the big three and then drive the lexus. I am not going to be bias, and I am just going to enjoy each test drive. I know I would not buy the audi, due mainly to it being a pos. I don't care what anyone says, they are unreliable. The mercedes and bmw are prob not that far behind the lexus, but quality is super important due to me punching my work clock every day and paying for it.

The reviews are always bias in certain mags.
Drive them first!
Old 11-15-07, 11:29 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoj
Which numbers are we talking about .........

For a performance car a good lap time numbers speak for itself......... Can we expect a laptime for Nurburing where IS-F was tested ? or laptime at Fuji speedway where IS-F was developed ??????
How about a Laguna Seca laptime to use as a gage? They must be on here somewhere?
Old 11-15-07, 11:32 AM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by autovation
How about a Laguna Seca laptime to use as a gage? They must be on here somewhere?
I think the drivers were having to much fun drifting around the corners rather than timing themselves hehe
Old 11-21-07, 03:18 PM
Manoj
Driver

Originally Posted by autovation
LoL....... We need something like this .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7T9BD_Q3k

And I havent seen any such videos which was made to do a Hot Lap!
Old 11-22-07, 09:04 AM
Raleigh GS
Rookie

Three car lengths a close race. I think not. You would say you got yanked hard if you got beat that bad. Usually a tenth of a second equals about a carlength.

I hate to say if i was going to pay 60k for any of those 4 cars in that chart, i would get a MB c63 amg
Old 11-27-07, 04:23 PM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

I feel the same. After seeing the road tests compared to others that are lower priced along with the buldged looks of the IS-F. Add the maintenance cost included in the BMW and it get's harder to go the way of the F.

333 at the wheels is pretty poor along with the exhaust not connected to the tips??? WTF???

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I personally am disappointed unless the C&D numbers are more accurate. This car has 116 more hp, costs almost 15 grand more, and has a 5.0 V8 and can barely beat a stock 335i. Even if the C&D numbers are more accurate, they're not that fast compared to a 335i with a procede chip. so for 13-14k more money you dont get much more. anyone else think the same?

IS-F vs 335i
IS-F 335i
0-60 4.7 4.9
1/4 mi 13.2 13.4
price 64000 50000

C&D isf numbers
IS-F vs 335i w/procede chip
IS-F 335i
0-60 4.2 4.4
1/4 mi 13.7 12.8
price 64000 51500

Last edited by NWIS250AWD; 11-27-07 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 05:38 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NWIS250AWD
I feel the same. After seeing the road tests compared to others that are lower priced along with the buldged looks of the IS-F. Add the maintenance cost included in the BMW and it get's harder to go the way of the F.

333 at the wheels is pretty poor along with the exhaust not connected to the tips??? WTF???
actually it's been covered (search in the forum) that the exhaust is connected to the tips...the ones before are pre-production models...

Quick Reply: Are you happy or disappointed with the IS-F numbers?