Edmunds: IS-F vs. RS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 05:15 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Edmunds: IS-F vs. RS4

Edmunds Comparo: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#2

"The 3,780-pound IS-F gets to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 109 mph, trailing the RS4 to 60 mph by about a half-second and to the quarter-mile by almost as much. This is with the stability and traction control systems off (yes, Lexus actually allows such a thing, a policy initiated for its performance cars for 2007) and the transmission in Drive. Later we made our runs and manually shifted the IS-F's transmission, which feels fast but predictably isn't, especially since the launch is better in Drive.

Not that it matters. For all its displacement, technology and furious bark, the Lexus 5.0-liter doesn't make the IS-F much quicker than a BMW 335i, which makes 116 hp less.

Front spring and damper rates are up a whopping 90 percent compared to the standard IS, and the rear rates are 50 percent firmer. This is a stiff car — so stiff over freeway undulations that it forces small, involuntary exhalations from its passengers. One of us even knocked his noggin into the headliner, badly mussing his hair."

Is the 8-speed auto gearing conservative on the IS-F?? And if you guys read in the comments, then it does appear that IS-F needs a REAL limited-slip differential to better launch the car. It needs to have one, esp. for a car in this class. BMW M3 has one. MB C63 AMG has one optional.
Old 10-29-07, 05:43 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Edmunds Comparo: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#2

"The 3,780-pound IS-F gets to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 109 mph, trailing the RS4 to 60 mph by about a half-second and to the quarter-mile by almost as much. This is with the stability and traction control systems off (yes, Lexus actually allows such a thing, a policy initiated for its performance cars for 2007) and the transmission in Drive. Later we made our runs and manually shifted the IS-F's transmission, which feels fast but predictably isn't, especially since the launch is better in Drive.

Not that it matters. For all its displacement, technology and furious bark, the Lexus 5.0-liter doesn't make the IS-F much quicker than a BMW 335i, which makes 116 hp less.

Front spring and damper rates are up a whopping 90 percent compared to the standard IS, and the rear rates are 50 percent firmer. This is a stiff car — so stiff over freeway undulations that it forces small, involuntary exhalations from its passengers. One of us even knocked his noggin into the headliner, badly mussing his hair."

Is the 8-speed auto gearing conservative on the IS-F?? And if you guys read in the comments, then it does appear that IS-F needs a REAL limited-slip differential to better launch the car. It needs to have one, esp. for a car in this class. BMW M3 has one. MB C63 AMG has one optional.
thats a bold claim that the IS-F is that slow (relatively). if C&D's numbers are more accurate, I hope they stop road testing cars for performance.
Old 10-29-07, 05:51 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm,.......

edmunds: "downshifts tend to be slow (manual mode) and not very well timed"

completely different from what EVERY other magazine has been saying. if they are wrong then I think these guys are COMPLETLY biased. i suggest nobody ever visit their site for performance reviews.
Old 10-29-07, 05:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

edmunds doesnt know how to drive, all other magazines have easily smashed their times
Old 10-29-07, 06:14 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
edmunds doesnt know how to drive, all other magazines have easily smashed their times
well, they managed to get the fastest RS4 numbers, and like I mentioned the fact that they completely trashed the IS-F's transmission tells me that they were completely biased. you can even tell by the tone of the speaker's voice in the video.
Old 10-29-07, 06:17 AM
timer00
Pole Position

From the very first few sentences I already knew what the review was like.
They might as well rename it Edmunds (We Love Germany 4 Ever).com............

Old 10-29-07, 07:27 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Not only that but, they said the style is "subjective" and only "Toyota Fanboys" would like it, which is not professional when you're writing a review that was supposed to be unbiased! Surely, the stylish can be a subjective matter, but that doesn't mean that if you DO like it, you're a "Fanboy"... Overall, the way they were talking made the review seem unprofessional.

Moreover, you can clearly see that they stomped on the gas pedal when they accelerated the RS4, but they didn't when they launched the IS-F. The IS-F was a casual launch, imo!

They must be complete morons and "German Fanboys" if they think that the gear shifting is slow!

I wonder who are the TRUE fanboys....

You know, sometimes I wonder how many people actually believe all this Magazine BS and make a decision solely based on their reviews and all the hype they create! I recommend go and drive ALL of them and ignore the hype, BS opinionated reviews, and others' opinions! Make your own judgments.

Last edited by Cornellian; 10-29-07 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 07:39 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

edmunds!
Old 10-29-07, 08:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
hmmm,.......

edmunds: "downshifts tend to be slow (manual mode) and not very well timed"

completely different from what EVERY other magazine has been saying. if they are wrong then I think these guys are COMPLETLY biased. i suggest nobody ever visit their site for performance reviews.
Not only that but it's completely contradicting to their initial IS-F review. God they need an editor for stuff like this.

I enjoy stand alone Edmund reviews and I think they are quite good but their comparos suck big time. Not just this one but any other.
Old 10-29-07, 08:32 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
Not only that but it's completely contradicting to their initial IS-F review. God they need an editor for stuff like this.
An Editor won't help! Because the "Fanboys" don't know how to properly compare cars, be it intentionally or not and are writing BS reviews to gain publicity! An editor will only brush up their English skills, which IMO needs work too...
Old 10-29-07, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Holy craptastic comments batman.

Well, my 2 cents. Let us not FORGET, it took Audi quite sometime to get the RS4 right. It was not an overnight success. The current model learned tons of lessons from previous models, nothing more than the new 60/40 RWD split.
The RS4 is fantastic and was the standard a couple of years.

Amazingly, Lexus does now have a CREDIBLE competitor in the IS-F. WHo would have thought Edmunds says its too hardcore, too much of a track car and it looks to outrageous? This is Lexus first effort let us not forget.

This is a company that people think is bland and uninvolving.

Kudos to both. And I'll be waving from my IS-F eventually!!!
What I wrote on another board.

FYI, I never read Edmunds or use them much as a source.
Old 10-29-07, 10:15 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi

I enjoy stand alone Edmund reviews and I think they are quite good but their comparos suck big time. Not just this one but any other.
The implication is that an editor's job is to hew the content of different automotive writers until it presents a consistent position for the website. Clearly the same performance data was used again for this comparison review, so the only thing this writer has to do is offer opinions.

Daniel Pund and Chris Walton have different opinions about aspects of the car and it is not the editor's job to make a consistent view for Edmund's. This second writer, Pund, clearly thinks the stylistic flourishes of the IS-F are akin to a bad joke and that is his opinion and he entitled to it.

Edmund's has been trying to spice up their content for quite a while with "in" language (or what middle-aged men perceive to be "hip") and unfortunately words like fanboy, fugly and the currently "in" Beluga whale reference are the sad result.

I doubt any magazine will prefer the IS-F to the RS4 in comparison.

Edit: Just a quick look at the final scoring: RS4 85.7% IS-F 84.3% The IS-F didn't have too bad a showing for a slowish baby Beluga whale with the wrong sort of tranny.

Last edited by CRB; 10-29-07 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 10:29 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB
The implication is that an editor's job is to hew the content of different automotive writers until it presents a consistent position for the website. Clearly the same performance data was used again for this comparison review, so the only thing this writer has to do is offer opinions.

Daniel Pund and Chris Walton have different opinions about aspects of the car and it is not the editor's job to make a consistent view for Edmund's. This second writer, Pund, clearly thinks the stylistic flourishes of the IS-F are akin to a bad joke and that is his opinion and he entitled to it.

Edmund's has been trying to spice up their content for quite a while with "in" language (or what middle-aged men perceive to be "hip") and unfortunately words like fanboy, fugly and the currently "in" Beluga whale reference are the sad result.

I doubt any magazine will prefer the IS-F to the RS4 in comparison.
Yeah I agree it doesn't matter who wins the comparo but going from a point where they proclaimed IS-F tranny as revolutionary to a point where they almost described it as mediocre. If I was running a publication I would never ever allow that much of a difference cause obviously it shows that someone doesn't have enough expertise.
Old 10-29-07, 10:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote from Edmunds: "The 3,780-pound IS-F gets to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 109 mph, trailing the RS4 to 60 mph by about a half-second and to the quarter-mile by almost as much. This is with the stability and traction control systems off (yes, Lexus actually allows such a thing, a policy initiated for its performance cars for 2007) and the transmission in Drive. Later we made our runs and manually shifted the IS-F's transmission, which feels fast but predictably isn't, especially since the launch is better in Drive."

Proof that the Edmunds guys have no idea how to launch a car that isn't idiot-proof AWD. Car and Driver on the other hand, did it in Sport mode (less wheel spin there) and with manual shifting (they're willing to experiment to find the best shift points, not to mention the shifting is faster in manual mode).
Old 10-29-07, 11:02 AM
cbryce
Driver School Candidate

That`s what I thought so why did they laucn the car with the traction setting to off mode and why did they have the transmission in regular Automatic? I thought Lexus said that if the driver puts the transmission in M mode and has the sport button activated that it would give the best launch times????? Why is edmunds saying 4.8 and that they thought the transmission gave a better launch in regular automatic mode?

They sound so biased on that review...It`s like we love only German cars even though the competitors are close we won`t give them the credit for it. I guess that`s all thery know so what else do we expect.

Last edited by cbryce; 10-29-07 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: IS-F vs. RS4