IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I went to sema and ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07 | 04:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autovation
I can afford an IS-F but definitely wouldn't throw money away (ok, so I did some gambling in Vegas at SEMA...).

I agree with your statement. There is a major performance gap between the IS250 and IS350 and IMO it is completely worth the $5-$7k? price difference. The difference between the IS350 and IS-F is not as pronounced (definitely not on the street!) as the IS250 & IS350 comparison but the price difference is much more at $25k.
I didn't really want to step in on this argument, but I'm gonna make a couple post.

Firstly, a fully loaded IS350 is about 45K..... How is the difference between it and the IS-F $25K?
Old 11-14-07 | 04:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autovation
Are you really replying to my review of the IS-F and you have NOT even driven it? I do not appreciate the personal attacks and I would say your post is the ignorant one and you have no idea who you are talking to.

I am an automotive engineer with 2 advanced degrees from top tier engineering schools, 12+ years automotive engineering experience, and have designed and tested engine management systems for many platforms from Nissan to GM (C6Z06 & C6ZR1 ring a bell?) to Porsche. This includes much time spent track testing and subsequently fine tuning many NVH elements. During this time I also created my own automotive aftermarket company which has been in business for 5+ years during which time I have worked with several racing companies in optimizing automotive feedback for racing applications. So what are YOUR qualifications to make the statements you posted?

There have already been several other reviews by people who have driven the car that have similar feedback as myself. The entirety of your reply is just ignorant if you haven't driven the car, you should focus on your midterms.

Also note that I began my post with "IMO" it is not worth it. Your opinion may be different.
In your opinion, is the M3, RS4 and C63 worth the upgrade over their respective counterparts?

It is pretty much the same thing.......
Old 11-15-07 | 07:37 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I didn't really want to step in on this argument, but I'm gonna make a couple post.

Firstly, a fully loaded IS350 is about 45K..... How is the difference between it and the IS-F $25K?
I paid $34,200 for my IS350. The only options were the 18" wheels, spoiler and trunk net. No need for Nav as I do not live in a big city and no need for Sport as I planned on lowering it anyway. After the wheel/tire/spring upgrade I have $37,000 into it but should get most of that out when selling the wheels before selling the IS350. I would also look at a bare IS-F but pricing hasn't been announced. I estimated $60k based on the $65k NM edition. I would also change the wheels on the IS-F if I get one.

I am also not looking at total cost of ownership because I cannot predict the depreciation rate of the IS-F. The IS350 is looking very good so far.
Old 11-15-07 | 08:08 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR_F1
In your opinion, is the M3, RS4 and C63 worth the upgrade over their respective counterparts?

It is pretty much the same thing.......
Interesting question. I haven't driven most of the cars except the 335.

Cliffnotes:

M3: Unsure but probably not worth the upgrade compared to a 335 (unless the M3 is a blast to drive and the engine is truely that special)
C63: IMO, yes it is worth it based on what I know.
RS-4: Unsure but it probably is worth the upgrade based on my experiences.

M3/335:
There are several discussions on the BMW boards about "why buy an M3" when the 335 is so good and able to be modded easily? Pricing is also less of a difference as a 335 is $5k-$10k more compared to a base IS350 while the M3 and IS-F are comparable. I haven't driven an M3 so I can't make a decision yet. Reading about the 2 cars would seem the 335 is the best choice. Stock vs stock, it beat a Z4M around VIR. It can be upgraded to be faster than an M3 in a straight line. But is the M3 more "fun" to drive to me? I don't know yet.

RS-4/S4:
I haven't driven an S4 since the B5 and I only had the chance to sit in an RS-4 at the NAIAS and was very impressed. S4's are much more expensive than IS350's and I've heard the RS-4 is a blast to drive. The 6spd gearbox blew away the 6spd gearbox in the M3 (BMW still retained the E46's POS gearbox for some reason).

C63/C-class:
Based on the feedback available, the C63 looks to be the stand out. Over 450hp and there is not a comparable "sport oriented" C-class (add on "amg" fenders don't count!) that would compromise sales.

Regardless of my opinions, each person must drive the cars you are comparing before making a decision. My first shock came when I was dead set on an '93 Rx-7. After driving it and then driving a '93 300ZXTT, I chose the 300ZXTT. It went against everything I had read online but I enjoyed the 300ZXTT a lot more. I still wish the Rx-7 felt better because I liked the looks and specs (mainly weight and redline) a lot more!

Last edited by autovation; 11-15-07 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-15-07 | 08:11 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Exactly, which is why Lexus gave us plenty of seat time at Laguna Seca and a few hours behind the wheel on regular streets of Carmel, Monterey, and the Big Sur area.
That's just awesome that Lexus did that, it shows where the focus of the car is. Wish I could have joined you!

I hope they do it for the LF-A!