IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why i (WON'T) be getting an 2008 IS F

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 07:20 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I totally agree. After seeing the car at Sema I couldn't justify it after the price was released. The hp addition was rather small from what we all expected and it doesn't have that much different on it besides wheels, brakes and engine. The car will cost me twice as much as my IS350 that I got for 35,500.
Old 11-12-07, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ace00
Short and simple, I have a 2007 IS 250 and i cannot justify paying 60k+ for what i think is basically the same concept design, besides the obvious F badge and minor changes here and there. Would you upgrade your 06 IS with 07 IS just to get the rear fin (antenna) LOL..Thats how i see it.

Don't get me wrong here, 416hp is a huge jump from 306hp (350) 204hp (250)

As hard as it will be for me to see all those IS F in the streets, I will patiently wait for the second generation.

To make me feel good about my decision i'll just repeat to myself "2nd gen is always better, I dont want to be a test dummy. They need to work out all the kinks" LMFAO

one last comment, i really think that they could have done a better job with the F badge on the dashboard/odometer. When i was on the dyno, it was a big eye sore...and yes im not a big fan of the new dashboard/odometer, seems like its a step back.

So lied, it was not short....but you got my point. any comments concerns complaints?
I don't mean to make you look bad but...
Lets take the Audi A4. It starts as a FWD, I-4 car. Well they add a kit, wheels, brakes, engine, etc etc etc and come to the RS4. It pretty much triples the price.

Lets take my beloved 911. A base 911 is around 65k. Well, lets turbo it, add some big brakes ,etc etc, and we have a $180,000 GT2. Again triples the price.

Lets take the S350 (we don't get it here b/c it fools many of you into thinking its only a V-8). Well add a kit, engine, brakes, etc etc etc. You have the $180,000 S65 AMG.

So let me get this right....(only 3 examples)

Lexus does it with the IS 250, adds kit, big brakes, engine, etc etc.
DOUBLES the price.

And its not different enough.

Are you sure about that?
Old 11-12-07, 09:40 PM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by is-fan
Automobile mag had a mixed review of the IS-F. Most of what they had to say about it was not very good. These are a few reasons some may not be buying it.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...s-f/index.html

Here are a few quotes:

"Despite Yamaha-developed cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and hollow camshafts, the oversquare V-8 feels like it's running out of breath by 6000 rpm, and the engine note goes flat by the time the computer pulls the plug at a mere 6800 rpm."

"So, it doesn't scream, but the Lexus engine won't win any singing competitions, either. A secondary air intake opens up at 3600 rpm, filling the cabin with a contrived, nasal induction honk under big throttle openings. It's not particularly pleasing inside the car, and it completely stifles the exhaust noise-the noise that makes the German V-8s so desirable."

"Unfortunately, the transmission uses the same curiously spaced gears as it does in the LS460. To wit, first, second, and third are so far apart that you're constantly wishing for another couple of gears in between, especially on slow, twisty roads. Conversely, the higher gears are so closely spaced that half of them seem superfluous."

"Unlike the German competition, the IS-F isn't a complete rework of the chassis it's based on. It includes no additional chassis stiffening or unique suspension mounting points"

"But that hot-rod mission is one-sided, and the IS-F's potential customers will expect their cars to do more than simply tear up the tarmac on a racecourse. For all the speed the IS-F gained on the track, it lost even more of the ordinary IS's drivability and good looks. And on the streets and in the showrooms, that's what really counts."

I haven't driven it yet myself, but these statements are not very flattering.
David E. Davis' crew of clones obviously has been waxing more than the not-so-unbiased editor's overdone mustache!
Old 11-13-07, 08:34 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotadad
David E. Davis' crew of clones obviously has been waxing more than the not-so-unbiased editor's overdone mustache!
I'm thinking it must have been a full Brazilian wax gone horribly wrong after reading that write up.
Old 11-13-07, 09:47 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets take the Audi A4. It starts as a FWD, I-4 car. Well they add a kit, wheels, brakes, engine, etc etc etc and come to the RS4. It pretty much triples the price.

Lets take my beloved 911. A base 911 is around 65k. Well, lets turbo it, add some big brakes ,etc etc, and we have a $180,000 GT2. Again triples the price.

Lets take the S350 (we don't get it here b/c it fools many of you into thinking its only a V-8). Well add a kit, engine, brakes, etc etc etc. You have the $180,000 S65 AMG.

DOUBLES the price.

Are you sure about that?

I agree with what he said
Old 11-13-07, 10:59 AM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

DOUBLES the price.

Are you sure about that?
Thats what ive been trying to explain to all these people before . . .
Old 11-13-07, 09:24 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I've never driven the ISF but I've seen the videos of that transmission in action and there is NO delay from the time you pull the paddle to the actual shift. It is virtually instantaneous.
Ok, do I even need to respond to this? You saw it on a video, I did it in real life. Wow, just amazing. Next you will tell me that it shifts really good in Gran Turismo 5 so I must be wrong.

0-50 the same as IS350?
I would say the difference is less than 0.2 seconds. Above 50 mph, the difference increases quite quickly as the IS-F is no longer traction limited.

Handling not much different?
Stock IS350 has a ton of body roll compared to an IS-F.

Not much difference on the street?
On the street you won't notice it 99% of the time.

Your lowered IS350 has a better feel than the ISF?
A big yes here. Less body roll and sharper turn in. This includes wider/different tires and 19" rims also.

The IS350 has a sharper sounding exhaust?
Oh yea. I was excited to hear the IS-F in person. Unfortunately it was sharing the test track with a (gasp) Mustang GT that sounded much better.

The ISF shifts quicker than the IS350, but not by much?
If you think you will notice this, you are wrong.

It behaves the same as the IS-F in 99+% of all traffic situations?
LOL!!! By all means, keep the comedy comin'!
Reread your post if you want to keep laughing. "But I saw an IS-F video", LOL. Classic.
Old 11-13-07, 09:26 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Old 11-13-07, 09:31 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No F for me. There is a big difference between an M3 and 328i in handling and power. I know that for a fact because every time and very often that my M3 was in the shop they loan you any other BMW or they used to. I like my IS 350 and so far I have not seen enough from the F to make me give up my IS. Now Nissans Skyline that is a possibility but $70k and 2+2? No maybe a Corvette.
Old 11-13-07, 11:36 PM
08IS-F
Driver School Candidate

Good. NO F FOR YOU! Why don't you compare M3 w/335i? because your comparing your IS350 to IS-F. If your comparing IS250 to IS-F then THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HANDLING AND POWER! NO Body I mean no body will get a NEW Nissan GT-R ( NOT SKYLINE, they are G37) for MSRP. You will pay a premium markup for GT-R Period. So you should buy a corvette or z06 like I care........

Originally Posted by GSdriven
No F for me. There is a big difference between an M3 and 328i in handling and power. I know that for a fact because every time and very often that my M3 was in the shop they loan you any other BMW or they used to. I like my IS 350 and so far I have not seen enough from the F to make me give up my IS. Now Nissans Skyline that is a possibility but $70k and 2+2? No maybe a Corvette.
Old 11-14-07, 04:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autovation
Ok, do I even need to respond to this? You saw it on a video, I did it in real life. Wow, just amazing. Next you will tell me that it shifts really good in Gran Turismo 5 so I must be wrong.

I would say the difference is less than 0.2 seconds. Above 50 mph, the difference increases quite quickly as the IS-F is no longer traction limited.

Stock IS350 has a ton of body roll compared to an IS-F.

On the street you won't notice it 99% of the time.

A big yes here. Less body roll and sharper turn in. This includes wider/different tires and 19" rims also.

Oh yea. I was excited to hear the IS-F in person. Unfortunately it was sharing the test track with a (gasp) Mustang GT that sounded much better.

If you think you will notice this, you are wrong.

Reread your post if you want to keep laughing. "But I saw an IS-F video", LOL. Classic.
Nobody's really interested in your resume.

When comparing the IS350 to the ISF I believe greater than 90% of editors, professionals, and everyone on this board will disagree with you. I wonder why that is?

It amazes me that after all the R&D of Lexus' Skunk Team to build a world class handling car, all they really had to do was just use a lowered IS350 suspension, which ultimately ended up handling better than what they came up with for the ISF. Are you joking?
Old 11-14-07, 08:15 AM
vip3r1850
Driver

Nobody's really interested in your resume.

When comparing the IS350 to the ISF I believe greater than 90% of editors, professionals, and everyone on this board will disagree with you. I wonder why that is?

It amazes me that after all the R&D of Lexus' Skunk Team to build a world class handling car, all they really had to do was just use a lowered IS350 suspension, which ultimately ended up handling better than what they came up with for the ISF. Are you joking?
Never thought of it that way, 100% agree
Old 11-14-07, 08:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Guys this thread needs to take a decided turn towards more civil responses please. Disagree politely and keep to the topic of the car, not the people posting in the thread.
Old 11-14-07, 08:41 AM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys this thread needs to take a decided turn towards more civil responses please. Disagree politely and keep to the topic of the car, not the people posting in the thread.
Thank you, this was much needed. People questioned my qualifications in another thread and then are not interested in them. Whatever. Back on topic.

I never stated the IS350 handling is better than the IS-F. I said a lowered IS350 with a stiffer spring rate will be "comparable" to the IS-F on the street 99% of the time. I'm sure if taken to the track or REALLY pushing it on the street in curves (which is stupid even with traction control), there may be a dicernable difference but I have not had the opportunity to drive them back to back in that environment.

There is also a MAJOR difference between the stock IS350 and stock IS-F. If test driving them at a dealership, the buyer will note this difference and be more inclined to buy the IS-F. The IS-F is an all around much better car than a IS350 (except aesthetically IMO) but not enough to justify the price difference (again IMO).
Old 11-14-07, 10:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The IS350 is more than competent... like I was eluding to, the IS-F, M3, RS4, and the likes, are all exercises in excess. EXCESS. Same reason that anyone buys a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... excess and "prestige" to own something different and less vanilla.

Quick Reply: Why i (WON'T) be getting an 2008 IS F