IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C&D rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 06:52 PM
LexFather

Red face C&D rant

So I got my latest toilet tissue, I meant issue yesterday. Funny b/c I have bought copies of the IS-F review in all the other mags thus far. No IS-F on the cover. On the cover, the CTS, G35, C 300 and 328 for a manual shootout.

Then a smaller pic of the Hyundai coupe.

Well to my surprise, there is a GREAT article on the IS-F in C&D. Here is the first higher performance sedan from LExus, and NOTHING about it on the cover.

Not even ANY writing.

So I go back to my old toilet tissues and even the GS back in 1998 got a little pic on the cover.

Just a rant but a shame they like the car but don't see it as cover worthy.

P.S-I had discontinued my subscription but got a deal for $2, so what the hell, no?
Old 11-28-07, 08:08 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the mags i think mention somethin about it on the front cover
Old 11-28-07, 09:28 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So I got my latest toilet tissue, I meant issue yesterday. Funny b/c I have bought copies of the IS-F review in all the other mags thus far. No IS-F on the cover. On the cover, the CTS, G35, C 300 and 328 for a manual shootout.

Well to my surprise, there is a GREAT article on the IS-F in C&D. Here is the first higher performance sedan from LExus, and NOTHING about it on the cover.

Not even ANY writing.

So I go back to my old toilet tissues and even the GS back in 1998 got a little pic on the cover.

P.S-I had discontinued my subscription but got a deal for $2, so what the hell, no?
........scans?
Old 11-29-07, 04:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Not even ANY writing.

Where'd you get the $2 deal??
Old 11-29-07, 06:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting!

I was just at the supermarket and saw the C&D January '08 issue...

The newsstand edition has the IS-F on the cover!

The cover has the sport sedan shootout as the main image, and the lower thirds have three panels...the leftmost panel is on the IS-F, and shows an Ultrasonic blue pic.

This is probably the same case as some other magazines, where they give the subscriber version a more toned-down cover and put more attention-grabbing images on the newsstand version to get people to pick up the magazine.
Old 11-29-07, 06:48 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
Interesting!

I was just at the supermarket and saw the C&D January '08 issue...

The newsstand edition has the IS-F on the cover!

The cover has the sport sedan shootout as the main image, and the lower thirds have three panels...the leftmost panel is on the IS-F, and shows an Ultrasonic blue pic.

This is probably the same case as some other magazines, where they give the subscriber version a more toned-down cover and put more attention-grabbing images on the newsstand version to get people to pick up the magazine.
The January 08 has it on the front cover, the december has the audi, m3 and c63 amg
Old 11-29-07, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Oh, so then the newstand edition has it on there but not the subscriber edition...

well rant over (sorta)..lol

I don't scan anymore fellas, sorry
Old 12-02-07, 08:20 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the subscription version.

And the TOC...........

Old 12-02-07, 08:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

was pretty dumb that they made a big deal that the engine looks all ugly when you remove the engine cover off. They even go as far to waste space on a page and put a picture with a caption on it. Maybe its a compliment that they cant find anything major to whine about

OH NOES DEAL BREAKER I DONT WANT AN ISF ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THE HOSES UNDER THE ENGINE COVER

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-02-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 01:26 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vip3r1850
The January 08 has it on the front cover, the december has the audi, m3 and c63 amg
Just got this issue. It's hard to argue with the performance numbers:

0-60: 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.7 seconds
Old 12-06-07, 05:15 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Considering the article was written by C&D, I thought the article was very very complimentary!

The only real gripe they had was that the steering feel was not the best. They seemed to like almost everything else - transmission (is that a miracle or what??? Lexus nailed the tranny equation!!!!), suspension, handling, power, engine.

I was thoroughly impressed with the article. For a first real effort from Lexus at a sports car, they did very well indeed.

Anybody else notice the complimentary remarks about how fast the tranny shifts??? They say it actually shaved off .2 of a second from the 0 - 60 time!!

One of the writers actually like the transmission so much, he said he did not miss a manual! Miracles will not cease.

Well done Lexus!!!!!
Old 12-10-07, 11:57 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

If a Lexus enthusiast bashes that article then they are really looking to hate C&D as it was pretty positive.

What really stood out was the comment that the head engineer wanted more revs and the beancounters nixed it. So, instead of beating BMW at their own game Lexus again provides an alternative for those with different priorities but not a clear winner. Maybe I really don't get Lexus buyers and Corolla-like "reliability" would really be a high priority when buying this car? And, a manual should be available for those that want it even if the 8-speed is a nice tranny.
Old 12-10-07, 12:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KKelly
Maybe I really don't get Lexus buyers and Corolla-like "reliability" would really be a high priority when buying this car?
I think it'd be a big mistake for Lexus to forsake one of the reasons why Lexus owners are so dedicated to the brand - quality and reliability (not to mention dealership service, which is made a lot easier when quality and reliability are high). IMO, Lexus has a lot riding on the IS-F from this regard. If it winds up being unreliable, that would be a huge failure for the "F" brand to maintain what is known as a Lexus trait.
Old 12-10-07, 12:26 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

But is the buyer of an LS/GS really the same demographic? They wouldn't be forsaking reliability just taking a measured risk. You have to admit that a 6800rpm redline on 5 liter engine is pretty conservative these days.
Old 12-10-07, 01:49 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

But is the buyer of an LS/GS really the same demographic?
What does the LS or GS (or IS) have to do with it? Lexus as a whole is renown for quality and reliability across the spectrum; it's certainly not limited to the LS or GS and therefore not to that demographic. And the important part is the impact is not just limited to the IS-F model we happen to be talking about. The implication is about the IS-F as the initial foray into the "F" marque. This is much more than just one car or one segment, especially as Lexus has indicated the introduction of F variants across the product line. (I'm not a fan of that direction, but that's what they've said.) Imagine if the IS-F turns out to be unreliable, and the impact that will have on the F line as a whole.

They wouldn't be forsaking reliability just taking a measured risk. You have to admit that a 6800rpm redline on 5 liter engine is pretty conservative these days.
I don't have to admit anything, because my point is precisely that reliability and quality are issues that should come first as part of the Lexus brand. Otherwise, Lexus has nothing to market to differentiate from competitors. Performance taking a backseat has been common throughout the development of Lexus vehicles, and I'm fine with that.

Quick Reply: C&D rant