IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F vs. Nissan SKyline 370 GTS Video Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 10:45 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i agree its ok to go out of segment to compare. it helps keep things into perspective sometimes.
Old 12-05-07, 12:09 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Leave it to you to only present 1/2 the story. How about this? This is under conditions similar to those run in the G37, IS-F scenario. No other cars blocking the road (you did see how badly balked the cars were in the "race").

FWIW: Did that Ferrari get punted? If so I think that's the first clip I've seen with an actual incident rather than a close call.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS-F vs. Nissan SKyline 370 GTS Video Link-m3.jpg  
Old 12-05-07, 12:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Leave it to you to only present 1/2 the story. How about this? This is under conditions similar to those run in the G37, IS-F scenario. No other cars blocking the road (you did see how badly balked the cars were in the "race").

FWIW: Did that Ferrari get punted? If so I think that's the first clip I've seen with an actual incident rather than a close call.
What? you wanted me to post images frame by frame? Gimmie a ***** break. I posted that frame with the times for those who were too lazy/without access to you tube at work or whatever.

You didn't exactly give a running commentary either, so kindly back off please.

FWIW the automatic cars got the behinds ripped all race, the 360 F1 got punted and was left way behind, the M3 SMG spun and the Evo VIII basically had the track to itself out front.

Better Mr.Johnson?

p.s. about the conditions... different drivers, different days..........what point are you trying to make exactly?

Last edited by MR_F1; 12-06-07 at 12:13 PM. Reason: post script #2, sorry for the language
Old 12-05-07, 01:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Why on earth does a car have to be the same price to be compared? Isn't it another factor to be considered in a comparison?
Price is a factor yes but the intent of the IS-F is to compete head to head with performance tuned cars originally from large volume models. IMO its insulting to the IS-F to be compared with the G37...its a much better car than that. Lets be fair to the IS-F and compare to its peer group...namely the M3, C63, RS4, and GTR.
Old 12-05-07, 01:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08IS-F
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJbgLeZsVzc

I am disappointed with the heads up race. 0-400M only .6 seconds difference.

And the lap time on a track between G37 (Skyline 370GTS) vs. IS-F only resolve in a 1.5 second difference. Compare to the Evo IX and STi vs. G37 (Skyline 370GTS) both has 3+ seconds difference lap time AND the Evo X (both GSR and SST) has 2+ seconds difference lap time. So the difference that IS-F had on G37 (Skyline 370GTS) was not that impressive. I mean on a track!

Evo IX did a 1'06"264
STi did a 1'06"581
Evo X GSR did a 1'06"919
Evo X SST did a 1'07"360
IS-F did a 1'08"107 & 1'08"494
G37 (Skyline 370GTS) did a 1'09"618
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzEvDckku8&feature=user
1.5 sec difference on such a short track is significant. If that difference remains roughly constant, then after 10 laps the IS-F would be over 10 seconds in the lead ahead over the G37. People don't run on a track for one lap. Having an actual track race with at least a few laps, the IS-F would win by quite a margin.

For the straight-line comparison, did you see the IS-F's launch? That was not a clean launch. Regardless, the IS-F was faster.

The video mentioned that they ran the IS-F in Sport Mode with VSC/TRAC on as well as off, but they didn't mention whether they ran the transmission in "Drive" or in "Manual" mode.

The IS-F has a dual personality in terms of performance so it's performance can vary more than the G37. If Best Motoring did the 400m (1/4 mile) run with the IS-F in "Drive", then the transmission was not performing at full potential. To get the best performance from the IS-F, you must run the tranny in "Manual" mode. The transmission shifts much faster in "Manual" mode than in "Drive". You should also use the shifter instead of the paddles because the paddles sometimes interfere with steering since they move with the wheel and aren't stationary.

Tsuchiya while driving the IS-F seemed to have difficulty shifting with the paddles and steering at the same time, and at one point he kept bouncing off the rev limiter. Because of that, I think Tsuchiya may have had the IS-F in "Drive" and not in "Manual" mode. I also think during the 1/4 mile run the IS-F was in "Drive" mode and not in "Manual" mode.

13.4 sec 1/4 mile time for the IS-F? That's the SLOWEST time ANY review has gotten so far. The IS-F should be doing high 12s 1/4 mile. With such a slow 1/4 mile time for the IS-F, I highly suspect the transmission was in "Drive" and not in "Manual" mode. The G37's 1/4 mile time was in-line with (other reviews) what it should be.

I don't understand Japanese so I don't know what exactly was said in the video, but the numbers are suspicious. Despite that, the IS-F was still faster.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its rediculous to compare the IS-F to a G37 as there is almost a $20k difference between the two cars. A more fair comparison would be a stripped GTR at $69k vs. a loaded IS-F at $68k (per motortrend). The GTR is essentially a buffed up G37 (well, not really but lets suspend disbelief). We all know which car would win that race
That's an equally ridiculous comparison you're making .

We know officially that the GT-R will start at 69K MSRP. A loaded IS-F at 68K is nothing more than an estimate, because Lexus has NOT yet released official pricing.

And while the GT-R will have better performance than an IS-F, an IS-F mops the floor with the GT-R in terms of practicality, luxury, and refinement. The two vehicles are considerably different and should not even be compared.

Even comparing a G37 to an IS-F is not a valid comparison because both vehicles are in different classes and one is a coupe while the other is a sedan.

Why didn't Best Motoring compare an IS-F to a C63 or to an RS4?

Originally Posted by EZZ
Price is a factor yes but the intent of the IS-F is to compete head to head with performance tuned cars originally from large volume models. IMO its insulting to the IS-F to be compared with the G37...its a much better car than that. Lets be fair to the IS-F and compare to its peer group...namely the M3, C63, RS4, and GTR.
Again, the GT-R does NOT directly compete with the IS-F. The closest (and direct) competition that the GT-R has is the 911 (Turbo) and the Corvette (Z06).

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 12-05-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 04:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Again, the GT-R does NOT directly compete with the IS-F. The closest (and direct) competition that the GT-R has is the 911 (Turbo) and the Corvette (Z06).
I agree that the GTR is not real competition for the IS-F however, in a historical perspective, its not too far off. The GTR was an upgraded "version" of the Nissan Skyline (aka G35) in its previous life. The current GTR still shares many similarities to the G35/37 (body shape, ATTESSA AWD, FM or the upgraded "PM" chassis, and a derivation of the VQ engine). Yes its a more focused GT car than the others but its never been a true "sports" car such as a vette and porsche.
Old 12-05-07, 05:27 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree that the GTR is not real competition for the IS-F however, in a historical perspective, its not too far off. The GTR was an upgraded "version" of the Nissan Skyline (aka G35) in its previous life. The current GTR still shares many similarities to the G35/37 (body shape, ATTESSA AWD, FM or the upgraded "PM" chassis, and a derivation of the VQ engine). Yes its a more focused GT car than the others but its never been a true "sports" car such as a vette and porsche.
but the fact is such a large crowd consider it supercar level...
Old 12-05-07, 08:23 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

What? you wanted me to post images frame by frame? Gimmie af*king break. I posted that frame with the times for those who were too lazy/without access to you tube at work or whatever.
I expected you to post nothing. Since you decided to post a frame capture I would have expected either two or at least a mention of the information on both given how close they appeared to each other in the video.
You didn't exactly give a running commentary either, so kindly back off please.
Correct, I expected folks to watch and decide for themselves what the results were as I felt the context was important.
FWIW the automatic cars got the behinds ripped all race, the 360 F1 got punted and was left way behind, the M3 SMG spun and the Evo VIII basically had the track to itself out front.

Better Mr.Johnson?
More is better...
p.s. about the conditions... different drivers, different days..........what point are you trying to make exactly?
My point is that for those looking for performance comparisons of the IS-F with comparable vehicles (the M3's for those wondering) this is the *first* comparable timed video of the cars on the same track in the same general conditions. Not in the rain (as frequently happens in these and top gear videos) but basically the same conditions.

My point is that using times from different drivers and different days is perfectly accepted as a comparison. You know... Nurburgring times.

My point is also that I'm #1 on the list for the IS-F at my local dealer and I'm looking for all the information I can to decide whether the price/performance makes sense for me to go ahead and buy one. Right now I'm very much undecided.

HTH.
Old 12-05-07, 10:08 PM
LexFather

Guys please keep the tone civil and respectable. Thanks.
Old 12-06-07, 06:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The IS-F looks pretty good in white. As for the vid, why pair the IS-F against a lightweight ? Why not peg it against the two wheel drive M3 which is available now over seas just like the IS-F is in Japan? Why is Lexus so hush hush with this car? Show potential buyers what this car can do against the competion, and let them see what 60k gets them. Copyright shlopyright.. Heck, there are tons of vids of the new M3 (which is also not available for sale in the U.S. like the IS-F) against many heavyweights on the web and I have yet to witness youtube and others pulling said videos due to copyright issues...Let loose like BMW.. Show the enthusiasts what they want to see Lexus!

Commence
Old 12-06-07, 12:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The IS-F looks pretty good in white. As for the vid, why pair the IS-F against a lightweight ? Why not peg it against the two wheel drive M3 which is available now over seas just like the IS-F is in Japan? Why is Lexus so hush hush with this car? Show potential buyers what this car can do against the competion, and let them see what 60k gets them. Copyright shlopyright.. Heck, there are tons of vids of the new M3 (which is also not available for sale in the U.S. like the IS-F) against many heavyweights on the web and I have yet to witness youtube and others pulling said videos due to copyright issues...Let loose like BMW.. Show the enthusiasts what they want to see Lexus!

Commence
the copy right issue was with best motoring.
Old 12-08-07, 02:23 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry guys... i dont' know bout this car... it seems like he really didn't like the is-f too much. he complained on how it was sloppy coming out of the drift. It seems like he actually preferred the g37 more...

also he said that when compared to a bimmer... he says that the bimmer is a better car... he says this towards the end....

"even it it looks like it's coming out of the drift nicely, it's actually not as great" something like that... my japanese isn't 100 percent perfect but i can get the gift of what he's saying...

it almost seems as though he's paid to complain bout the car(i'm sure someone didn't pay him off.. since he loves his toyota"... there were a lot of complaints bout the IS-F... kinda the opposite from what alll the other reviews were sayin...

towards the end he also talked bout the IS-F now how it's not quite a bimmer, but it's on it's way there... kinda disappointing....

the funny part is when the g37's steering wheel got all funky after drifting....

anyhow the drifting one was this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQuC...eature=related
Old 12-08-07, 12:28 PM
LexFather

^^^Again, the guy has much smoother with the manual, then the paddle shifters, missing shifts.
Every review I have in print, is shocked by how good this car is.
Old 12-08-07, 01:55 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

He should've done a lap in regular "drive". The computer would've done a much better job.

I just watched the video again to double check I'm not crazy. The tach needle in the IS-F would seem to get "stuck" sometimes. It didn't look natural.
Old 12-08-07, 08:55 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^Again, the guy has much smoother with the manual, then the paddle shifters, missing shifts.
Every review I have in print, is shocked by how good this car is.
I Co-sign.

It looked like the driver wasn't very comfortable using the paddle shifters.

IMO, he may have been better suited using the manual shifter instead.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F vs. Nissan SKyline 370 GTS Video Link