IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What is Lexus thinking?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 12:37 PM
joshmtx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody called Lexus on this? 800-25-LEXUS? There is absolutely no reason that Lexus should not be able to build the first cars to meet buyers requests. This would result in happy customers. The biggest problem might be buyers backing out from a 'custom order'. But, if they get what they want, they are less likely to back out. It sounds like people waiting with deposits are talking about backing out, because they can't get what they want. I think the pre-collision system with radar cruise is pretty darn cool. Especially in a car like this where someone is likely to kill themselves. Can you set the cruise at 165? Lexus is supposed to be the company that listens to customers and satisfies them.
Old 01-20-08, 12:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On most production runs, the "first batch" are always made months before and are already shipped and done with before even announcements of prices and such. Therefore, the 'exclusivity' of being first to get your special vehicle usually means you get fully loaded and what is made in those first batches. Lexus (or any manufacturer) isn't holding off production to wait until their order lists come in and then start their first batch. Also, not many luxury manufacturers are going to mass produce "base" models since most will want somewhat loaded models. These are not vanilla mobiles that are made a dime a dozen and so chances are you'll get a color and scheme you want. Hey, if you really must get in a particular color and theme, then wait whatever time frame is required to get the next batches.
Old 01-20-08, 01:49 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people aren't reading this thread. If you are truly interested in an ISF, the special order process is no different than any other Lexus. It is exactly the same. Why is everybody so concerned? if you don't want a fully loaded IS that gets allocated to your dealer, then just special order one. Problem solved. I fail to see why everybody is slamming Lexus over this. Nothing has changed. Lexus isn't screwing anybody. RFFG is correct, just special order your ISF just as you would any other Lexus model.
Old 01-20-08, 07:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

#1 or whatever number on the waiting list doesnt mean you get what you want, you just get first shot at the first car that comes whether it be the colors/options you want or not

Originally Posted by joshmtx
Has anybody called Lexus on this? 800-25-LEXUS? There is absolutely no reason that Lexus should not be able to build the first cars to meet buyers requests. This would result in happy customers. The biggest problem might be buyers backing out from a 'custom order'. But, if they get what they want, they are less likely to back out. It sounds like people waiting with deposits are talking about backing out, because they can't get what they want. I think the pre-collision system with radar cruise is pretty darn cool. Especially in a car like this where someone is likely to kill themselves. Can you set the cruise at 165? Lexus is supposed to be the company that listens to customers and satisfies them.
read the thread, special order like everyone else if you dont like the allocations
Old 01-20-08, 08:43 PM
lexis307
Lexus Test Driver

Bottom line from the mouth of a lexus corp rep: "The Is-f is a low/limitied production car, we're NOT trying to sell them like fireballs. For the 1st quater or so each dealer will get a select # allocated per month" IE they dont care about how you guys whine about **** there's gonna be people lined up to get the car when it 1st comes out, so it WILL sell. reguardless if they annoy you with being "set in their ways"It is what it is, nothing out of the ordinary from them...just wait for the $ to come down and your able to special order it how you want it. This is only suggestion not my 100% feelings if I had a deposit down id be in the same boat..im with you guys 100% but want to shed some different light on the situation

Last edited by lexis307; 01-20-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-20-08, 11:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
people aren't reading this thread. If you are truly interested in an ISF, the special order process is no different than any other Lexus. It is exactly the same. Why is everybody so concerned? if you don't want a fully loaded IS that gets allocated to your dealer, then just special order one. Problem solved. I fail to see why everybody is slamming Lexus over this. Nothing has changed. Lexus isn't screwing anybody. RFFG is correct, just special order your ISF just as you would any other Lexus model.
Yes, and wait 6 months for it, and maybe more since it's a limited volume model to begin with.
Old 01-20-08, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, and wait 6 months for it, and maybe more since it's a limited volume model to begin with.
special order only takes 3-4 months max to come, if the dealership follows through. that's pretty in line with bmw
Old 01-21-08, 05:45 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
special order only takes 3-4 months max to come, if the dealership follows through. that's pretty in line with bmw
I don't know about Lexus, since I've never special ordered from them before, but on a "hot" car other dealerships have allocations that could cause a delay, even for a special order. No allocation: no car. FWIW...

I'm digging into this to try and find out if this can be confirmed by others.
Old 01-21-08, 06:01 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

i disagree and side with those in favor of customization. especially on the is-f.
lexus should aim to please enthusiasts first with this car.

it's completely possible for lexus to do a preordering system. they just choose not to. having said that, 3-4 mths ordering time is par for foreign cars as far as i've seen.
Old 01-21-08, 07:25 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with lexus of Orland about the upcoming IS-F issues. They basically told me that these cars will be loaded and sold above well above invoice due to demand. I basically knew this. I would never pay anywhere over 3k over invoice for a car. The IS-F's will be ranging 8+K over ivoice, so be prepared. They know they will not have these cars on the lot as they will be sold asap, so the dealers can afford to be greedy.
Old 01-21-08, 07:55 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I spoke with lexus of Orland about the upcoming IS-F issues. They basically told me that these cars will be loaded and sold above well above invoice due to demand. I basically knew this. I would never pay anywhere over 3k over invoice for a car. The IS-F's will be ranging 8+K over ivoice, so be prepared. They know they will not have these cars on the lot as they will be sold asap, so the dealers can afford to be greedy.
expect to pay MSRP for them...
Old 01-21-08, 11:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
greedy would be applying "market adjustment fees" Selling for sticker on a high demand car isnt greedy. If you owned a dealership youd do the same. Look at it from both sides of the coin
Old 01-21-08, 02:25 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken, it is against the Lexus franchise agreement for a dealer to add "market adjustments" to any car.
Old 01-21-08, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
If I'm not mistaken, it is against the Lexus franchise agreement for a dealer to add "market adjustments" to any car.
that is true, that's why 4TehNguyen's post
Old 01-21-08, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It is same as with every other Lexus/Toyota vehicles.

To keep up with demand, Lexus will build cars based on their specs for first 2-3 months and after that you can custom order it which takes 3 months unless car is in such demand that they have to fill out previous orders first.

My friend is in process of buying S5, and they are not even letting him special order right now - they told him custom orders will be later summer/fall only, so he picked one of the cars coming in.

Quick Reply: What is Lexus thinking?!?