IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just got an IS-F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 12:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

MMD - not that the IS-F is any slouch but I think a Z06 will put a much bigger grin on your face.
Old 02-02-08, 01:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
MMD - not that the IS-F is any slouch but I think a Z06 will put a much bigger grin on your face.
ZR1 would rip your face apart.

Congrats on your IS-F. Wish I am more excited about the IS-F.
Old 02-02-08, 02:24 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by f=ma
yeah longo is the biggest in the state...i think. and Stevens Creek Lexus is biggest in NorCal. Both are owned by Penske.
I think Newport is the biggest in CA now
Old 02-02-08, 02:30 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think magnussens in fremont is bigger then Stevenscreek. Mag is pretty new and stevenscreek seems really cramped for space.
Old 02-02-08, 02:52 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats to your dad.

print out this whole thread and show him.

c.
Old 02-02-08, 03:27 PM
Qtrmile
Driver School Candidate

As stated previously, congrats to your dad.

I already have a C5 so the Z06 isn't in competition with the IS-F for me. I am also looking at the C63 pretty carefully though. I need a DD with a back seat to replace my G35S.

Last edited by Qtrmile; 02-02-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 11:32 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

sorry guys, it was drenching rain today in the silicon valley, so the photo shoot was postponed, i will take pictures of it tomorrow, until then if anyone wants to request any specific photos, lmk
Old 02-03-08, 01:28 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see a good closeup picture of the exhaust.
Old 02-03-08, 09:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

was posted earlier in the thread:
Old 02-03-08, 09:36 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I think magnussens in fremont is bigger then Stevenscreek. Mag is pretty new and stevenscreek seems really cramped for space.
Perhaps physically bigger, but Magnussen's I could almost guarantee is not bigger sales volume wise. In fact, it may not even be physically bigger if you count S.C. Lexus' off-site parts/service department.

Nice car OP! Just make sure your first IS-F isn't the first IS-F casualty. Have fun with it!
Old 02-03-08, 11:19 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealership yesterday and walked into the showroom to see the IS-F.

They have a very nice white (pearl) IS-F (don't know the official Lexus name for the color) sitting there in the showroom.

The sticker is $61,000 and change. It is marked up $10,000 as "dealer adjustment" but it can be had for sticker. The dealer adjustment is for people who don't have a clue and believe that's their starting point for negotiations.

I walked all around the car. I sat in the car. I looked under the hood and everywhere else and here are my observations:

* It's a Lexus IS series and it's a lovely car. What's most noticeable about the IS-F to me:
* The side vents don't protrude as much as I thought they would. The pictures I've seen made the vents rather large but in person they don't look nearly as wide.
* The seats are, of course, more aggressive than the stock IS seats. Not too much bolstering - just right. They do hold you in place. I'm a big guy and I was fairly comfortable sitting there for a few minutes.
* That's pretty much it. Yes, I noticed the brakes are larger than the stock IS350. The exhaust pipe treatment looks fine. The car had nice gray metallic wheels.

Bottom line for me:

* This car looks WAY too much like the IS350 and IS250.
* Lexus didn't do nearly enough to differentiate this car from the other ISs. (No, the rear exhausts and the side vents really don't provide enough distinction).
* This car is a $61,000 IS350 with better performance. Sure it can be said that it's worth the money since it includes Lexus engineering, quality, warranty, etc.
* I really like the IS350 but, in my opinion, Lexus dropped the ball on the IS-F. They gave the car very good (from what I've read) acceleration, handling, and braking. This makes the car competitive with others in its class (M3, RS4, C63). But Lexus blew it and didn't make this a different looking enough. The people that want this car not only want the performance but they want a different look to go with it.
* It's a very nice car but I left the showroom and didn't even think about the car again. Not an ounce of lust for the IS-F left that showroom with me. I didn't even think about it again until now. I just have no desire to buy the IS-F and while I'm sure it's an excellent car, I think it would be more interesting to buy a loaded IS350 and spend money making it do (or come close) to the IS-F (which would cost less than $17,000).
* If I was going to buy a car in this class I personally would buy the M3 sedan which I understand will be available later this year. And they, of course, offer the class-leading coupe, the M3.

Nice car Lexus - good first effort. But I just don't care enough about it to get excited about the IS-F and that's the shame of it.

I've been looking forward to this car for some time - since the first spy pics came out. The result does not live up to the hopes I had for it. Maybe in the future it will evolve into something more.

PS: If anyone wants a pearl white IS-F get on the phone and call Lexus of Valencia (it's a Keys dealership) and see if it's still available. My guess is that it's still there waiting to be sold. Today is Super Bowl Sunday so it should be there all day today.

Last edited by MMD; 02-03-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-03-08, 11:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

no offense but, If you couldnt tell the difference b/t an ISx50 and an IS-F I really dont see how you can tell the difference b/t a 3/M3, A4/RS4, C/C63 AMG.
Old 02-03-08, 11:28 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Perhaps physically bigger, but Magnussen's I could almost guarantee is not bigger sales volume wise. In fact, it may not even be physically bigger if you count S.C. Lexus' off-site parts/service department.

Nice car OP! Just make sure your first IS-F isn't the first IS-F casualty. Have fun with it!
yeah i was talking to finance manager at stevens creek, and he says they sell a minimum of 400 cars a months.
Old 02-03-08, 11:31 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

I have two words for you: M3 sedan

Originally Posted by Qtrmile
As stated previously, congrats to your dad.

I already have a C5 so the Z06 isn't in competition with the IS-F for me. I am also looking at the C63 pretty carefully though. I need a DD with a back seat to replace my G35S.
Old 02-03-08, 11:34 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I think any kind of everyday supercar (m3, Audi S4, Lexus IS-F) needs a stick shift or SMG-like transmission.

Here's hoping Lexus puts a manual transmission option for IS-F or IS350 at some point

Quick Reply: Just got an IS-F!!!