IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just got an IS-F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 11:34 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
* I really like the IS350 but, in my opinion, Lexus dropped the ball on the IS-F. They gave the car very good (from what I've read) acceleration, handling, and braking. This makes the car competitive with others in its class (M3, RS4, C63). But Lexus blew it and didn't make this a different looking enough. The people that want this car not only want the performance but they want a different look to go with it.
You mean, you want a different look for the IS-F. Don't speak for everybody, because I sure don't and there have been many people on this forum who have said they would rather have the base IS styling. I for one would be happier if it looked exactly like the IS350.
Old 02-03-08, 11:35 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no offense but, If you couldnt tell the difference b/t an ISx50 and an IS-F I really dont see how you can tell the difference b/t a 3/M3, A4/RS4, C/C63 AMG.

If you're talking to me, you obviously don't comprehend English very well.

I can tell the difference. I was commenting on the obvious differences which, in my opinion, just aren't enough. I'm a Lexus owner (two of them) and a performance car enthusiast who knows enough about cars to understand the difference between an IS350 and an IS-F (3-series and M3, etc.). Read my post again and if you don't see the point of my comments or don't value my opinion that would be your problem not mine.
Old 02-03-08, 11:39 AM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gengar
You mean, you want a different look for the IS-F. Don't speak for everybody, because I sure don't and there have been many people on this forum who have said they would rather have the base IS styling. I for one would be happier if it looked exactly like the IS350.
You're going to be very happy because there really isn't much difference. Sure the front end is a bit longer due to the V8. There are the side vents and integrated lower body molding and there's the quad pipes. Other than that and the IS-F badging it's an IS350 and the interior is quite similar too. Different instrumentation and seats and of course the materials are different but to the average non-enthusiast, the IS-F will seem to be just like the IS350 or 250 inside and out.
Old 02-03-08, 12:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Congrats to your Dad on the new purchase...

If you can try to take some detailed pics of the real muffler exhaust tips and how they finally decided to route them into the faux tips in the bumper

There have been at least 3-6 IS-F's sold in CA (if not more) within the last 5 days..

The cars started hitting the dealerships approx 1/28-1/30 (off the trucks)

Many of them were picked up the next day after the PDI was completed..

I know Longo had their 1st one delivered this week and it was pre-sold & picked up shortly after... I don't think it was even their longer than 1-2 days..

Many of the high # yeilding dealerships in CA, got their 1st IS-F delivered this past week.

Joe Z
Old 02-03-08, 12:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You're going to be very happy because there really isn't much difference.
As I already expressed, I (not to mention others who have posted on this forum) are not very happy because it's far too different from the base IS for our tastes. Of course, that isn't keeping most of us from appreciating the car for what it is.

I'm sorry that you feel Lexus "dropped the ball" only because there aren't enough different physical characteristics tailored to your liking, but outside of this very limited personal opinion, you should keep in mind that there are plenty of people who have expressed dissatisfaction in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by werewolf
Personally I think any kind of everyday supercar (m3, Audi S4, Lexus IS-F) needs a stick shift or SMG-like transmission.

Here's hoping Lexus puts a manual transmission option for IS-F or IS350 at some point
I wouldn't mind an SMG as it'd result in more power to the wheels, but it's Lexus we're talking about here - I doubt it's going to happen.
Old 02-03-08, 12:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
but to the average non-enthusiast, the IS-F will seem to be just like the IS350 or 250 inside and out.
why would a non enthusiast even care about M, AMG, RS, F models, and why would you care if they could tell the difference or not. The halo models arent trying to please or attract non enthusiasts
Old 02-03-08, 02:08 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

here we go

Old 02-03-08, 02:10 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

My Favorite Pictures

Old 02-03-08, 02:43 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

very nice!
Old 02-03-08, 03:06 PM
MMD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why would a non enthusiast even care about M, AMG, RS, F models, and why would you care if they could tell the difference or not. The halo models arent trying to please or attract non enthusiasts

Do you really need to ask me those questions?

Of course non-enthusiasts care about halo models. They buy them all the time but often not for the same reasons the enthusiasts buy them for.

I don't care if they can tell the difference or not.

Halo models don't please anyone but the car manufacturers do with their halo models

In this segment, the target for the manufacturers is the M3 which is the class/segment leader and has been for years. The M3 is recognized as the leader and BMW does what it wants while others need to try to compete.

Does the M3 appear to be different than the standard 3 series cars? You bet. But what they do, as I said, doesn't matter as much. In my opinion, the issue is how the followers (competitors) compete.

In my opinion, Lexus did a fine job with the performance but IMO, they didn't do enough with the rest of the car to get it a 2nd look by potential buyers nor to people like me who see this car for what it really is - an IS350 clone with higher performance.

Performance enthusiasts often make more changes to their stock cars than Lexus did to the IS-F. And that may be the answer for some - to change the appearance of their IS-Fs.

I'm not down on the IS-F. I know Lexus will sell every one of them. But I still think (my opinion) that they dropped the ball and didn't go far enough with the exterior and the interior of the car to make it different (note that I didn't say "make it better"). The IS-F is clearly a better performer but drop the badging, the quad pipes and the side vent/skirt and it's an IS350. Good for some but not for me.
Old 02-03-08, 03:06 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

Thanks for the Awesome pictures

I cant wait until mine arrives at the dealership this wekeend!
Old 02-03-08, 06:35 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MMD

Does the M3 appear to be different than the standard 3 series cars? You bet. But what they do, as I said, doesn't matter as much. In my opinion, the issue is how the followers (competitors) compete.

In my opinion, Lexus did a fine job with the performance but IMO, they didn't do enough with the rest of the car to get it a 2nd look by potential buyers nor to people like me who see this car for what it really is - an IS350 clone with higher performance.

Performance enthusiasts often make more changes to their stock cars than Lexus did to the IS-F. And that may be the answer for some - to change the appearance of their IS-Fs.

I'm not down on the IS-F. I know Lexus will sell every one of them. But I still think (my opinion) that they dropped the ball and didn't go far enough with the exterior and the interior of the car to make it different (note that I didn't say "make it better"). The IS-F is clearly a better performer but drop the badging, the quad pipes and the side vent/skirt and it's an IS350. Good for some but not for me.
Oh really?

Old 02-03-08, 06:39 PM
LexFather

335 interior

M3 interior

IS 350 interior

IS-F interior

They all seem about the same to me.
Old 02-03-08, 08:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
by this logic, BMW drops the ball on the M line, Audi on the S/RS line, Merc on the AMG line, every single one of them is guilty of what you mentioned. Not sure why youre singling out something when everyone else does the exact same thing.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-03-08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 09:14 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

nifty fact, i think the ISF has smaller more aerodynamic side mirrors.

Quick Reply: Just got an IS-F!!!