IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just got an IS-F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 09:37 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm so jealous. Man I wish I can afford $61k car. You took awesome pictures, more pics of interior please.
Old 02-15-08, 11:56 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add my useless 2 cents, don't forget the M3 is a coupe which is kind of a nonstarter for me right now with the kids. Makes the daily driver thing a bit tough. I was about to grab an M6 (yes yes, coupe I know) but it seems like my number (cmon serramonte!) is about to come up so I think I'm going to stick with this IS-F. The kids sit in the back of my GT once in awhile and they get kind of bored. They can't see because there isn't much window for them and moving the seat and watching my two year old kick the passenger seat sort of hurts my soul.
Please don't start with the M5 thing. I see so many here in S.F. I just couldn't stomach it. Besides, I have such a distaste for BMW after having an X-5 (bleah) that I cringe at the thought of going back to one (I-drive=bad). Eh, who knows, I keep changing my mind on this purchase. Ha, I even have a deposit down for a GTR from Nissan.
On a side note, thanks for the info on the C63 (was that right?). I got one of those trying to pass me on the way back from Napa a few days ago. It was pretty quick. All I could think though every time I looked in the (ahem) rear view mirror was travelling in Europe: "Know what you get when you put a big refined engine in a taxi?. . . a taxi"
Old 02-16-08, 12:25 AM
IS-F Cali
Driver School Candidate

TrinCap> What color are you looking to get from Serramonte? I'm about #2 or #3 on the list at Magnussen's Fremont. I'm waiting for a Starfire White to go with my white C43. They have a Silver there now but I'm not sure if its been sold yet. Might settle for it! hmmm. Hopefully we'll find out next allocation for Bay Area soon. How many on the list at Serramonte? I called Putnam in Redwood City and they told me the list is at about a dozen customers but they haven't recieved a single IS-F yet.
Old 02-16-08, 02:06 PM
TrinCap
Rookie

I think I want the Black one. Seems to go with the wheels. Supposedly I'm #2 on the list at Serramonte. Maybe I should have gone to Marin instead.
OK, stupid question #2, what do you guys mean when you say the exhaust isn't connected. You mean to tell me the exhaust is coming out of somewhere else?
IS-F Cali, if you want, you can probably take my spot on the list. I'm totally in no hurry. Heck, my wife needs a car in a few months too so I might just get hers first. No you can't have my deposit though
Old 02-16-08, 02:34 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

IS-F interior does not look like a $60k car. I guess tey could not do much with such a tiny car to begin with.

I am sure it is a rocket though. Enjoy.
Old 02-16-08, 03:00 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys complain about too much minor things. I think all these premium sports sedans/coupes are tastefully done and their high performance counterparts are done just as nice.

I dont understand what you expect or what you would personally do different from a design standpoint? An IS-F must look like and IS350... after all its part of the "IS" product line. you cant expect it to look like a completely different car? Come on folks get your heads out the sand!

BTW.... Congratulations on the purchase
Old 02-18-08, 09:42 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

congrats!!! car is looking right!
Old 02-19-08, 12:08 PM
bhood
6th Gear

1sicklex, thank for the interior pictures and proving the point. MMD if the IS-F was that radically reshaped than it wouldn't be an IS anymore. The IS-F and The M line are performance variants of their base models. I recently saw an M3 on the 405 in LA last month and it's styling revisions are essentially the same as the IS-F. Flared fenders, hood bulge for the bigger power plant, wider tires, lowered stance, and a more aggressive front and rear fascia. The IS-F and Lexus have done a wonderful job bringing high end performance to essentially a 4 door sports sedan. Remember this is Lexus not Ferrari. You stated you will probably buy a Z06 instead, well that alone tells us what you look for in a performance vehicle. Lexus has done very well for their first true performance vehicle. By the way change your avatar, now that you've voiced your disappointment.
Old 02-22-08, 02:05 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no offense but, If you couldnt tell the difference b/t an ISx50 and an IS-F I really dont see how you can tell the difference b/t a 3/M3, A4/RS4, C/C63 AMG.

+1 on that...
I mean opinion is opinion but the comment ithat caused 4TehNguyen's reply is a little off in light of a few things

frankly none of the "performance" hyped up versions of the "regular" cars for any of these brands does a "whole lot" to make it look different.

its mainly the same exact things Lexus did to the F...every company bascially gives it the "performance model"
1. fender doo-dad (for lack of a better term),
2. Hood work,
3. front fascia gets the biggest change,
4. the seats...
5. wheels
6. and finally - a logo here , a logo there and there ya go ...they're bascially done visually

its the engine, tranny and suspension and brakes....is where the biggest changes lie, hence in the "performance" of the car which is its purpose and reason for building.....and the RS4, C63, M3 and IS-F - none of which look "very different" from the cars they came from..

Now..yes you could mod an IS 350 into or close to what an F could provide you ....and you can also Mod your way right out of a warranty and to many drivers of Lexus's the warranty still means alot

Meanwhile you have an F and something "burps" even a little- ya drop it off and say call me when its fixed----try that with a tricked out 350
...warranty still means much to people,

Last edited by NYC ES3; 02-22-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 02:36 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-F Cali
TrinCap> What color are you looking to get from Serramonte? I'm about #2 or #3 on the list at Magnussen's Fremont. I'm waiting for a Starfire White to go with my white C43. They have a Silver there now but I'm not sure if its been sold yet. Might settle for it! hmmm. Hopefully we'll find out next allocation for Bay Area soon. How many on the list at Serramonte? I called Putnam in Redwood City and they told me the list is at about a dozen customers but they haven't recieved a single IS-F yet.
There's a waiting list? Any idea how much? Is there a dealer markup?
Old 02-25-08, 09:26 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations
Old 02-25-08, 11:05 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
frankly none of the "performance" hyped up versions of the "regular" cars for any of these brands does a "whole lot" to make it look different.
And let's be honest, that's the point of these vehicles... they are just performance versions of entry-level sedans. That was the magic of cars like the C36 or C43... they looked just like any other C-class with minor styling upgrades, minor interior upgrades, and a badge. M3 was always a bit more than the C-class AMGs in terms of having more distinctive features but even then the differences were not significant - especially not to the average person. Frankly, the IS-F in its current form goes way overboard in this philosophy. Historically this segment has been about high performance - yet in the same package as the entry-level.

Originally Posted by dojoman
There's a waiting list? Any idea how much? Is there a dealer markup?
Dealer markup is not allowed. Waiting list varies on geographical location, it's still 20+ people out here in the Las Vegas area, but the list is longer for popular exterior colors and color combinations. IS-F's in less popular color combos have even been unclaimed as it is.
Old 02-25-08, 11:26 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar

Dealer markup is not allowed. Waiting list varies on geographical location, it's still 20+ people out here in the Las Vegas area, but the list is longer for popular exterior colors and color combinations. IS-F's in less popular color combos have even been unclaimed as it is.
If you are serious about buying one, there's no wait list, even in Nor Cal.
Old 02-25-08, 12:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by STIG
If you are serious about buying one, there's no wait list, even in Nor Cal.
True to a certain extent... If you decide Not to care about the color it is...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-25-08 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-08, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Trure to a certain extent... If you decide not to care about the color it is...

Joe Z
i was about to say that, if color is not an issue. certain colors is still in shortage i believe

Quick Reply: Just got an IS-F!!!