IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF; is it different enough for the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 01:23 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm scared that if one buys an IS-F, then Caddy comes out with their 550hp beast of a CTS-v, and a pissing match will ensue and we could see a 500+hp IS-F shortly and that would suck having just dished out for the current version that has "only" 416hp.
Old 02-12-08, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I need to throw this out there. My sales rep said they don't have air cooled seats in the ISF. They only have heaters. This was confirmed when I sat in the car and they only had the red numbers on the roller.

Also, I only paid 35,500 for my car. Sticker was higher but I got the last 06' on the lot in December so the price difference for me is about 25k. I don't have ML and I wish I had that but I don't think the stock stereo sucks by any means either. So the 25k difference for engine, 8A, Brembos and different colored seats? I don't know. I am still waiting to drive it but I am also in the market for an NSX that is used. I coule pick one up for 38k that is pushing 500hp with a rebuilt engine and turbo kit. $60k???

The interior just doesn't look any different really. I mean I was shocked how similar they look. I have the money but I just don't think I will feel good in the morning about that purchase. I seriously considered getting a 335i or M3 before that car. Just like several of us on this board I get bored with cars easily. So why would I want a faster car that resembles the current ride I have in the garage. I don't think I would feel that great after a year or two. Plus, in Las Vegas the seat coolers are huge.
i don't think you can consider it that way. you can get a civic or some cars cheap, build it up with tons of hp, and still be cheaper

why don't we keep with stock vehicles, and try to bring in the m3, rs4, and c63 for more apple to apple comparison?

if you are jacking down the price of your is350 coz' it was not msrp, why not say give it another year or two when the is-f is not sold at msrp, then we don't see the 25k difference? and i am pretty sure you get more difference than just the engine and brembo brakes. you get 8 speed, some other stuff here and there, including ML, regardless whether you like it or not

anyway, that's how i would look at it. for 60k, what NEW STOCK high performance cars i can get out there today?
Old 02-12-08, 01:29 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also the cool factor...It is always cool to have the latest and greatest...
And like most of the factory hot rods, there is a premium to pay for being exclusive.
Old 02-12-08, 02:21 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Don't take this the wrong way. I like the IS-F but after having an IS350 I think it would be tough to get the IS-F. I am married and trying to convince her of the purchase is near impossible once she saw the car.
Old 02-12-08, 03:34 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile
haha... i'm not trying to say i'm not grateful for the fact that the IS-F was released because i for one want the car myself... but the question at hand bud is, is it worth $25,000 more.

After the car is released like most Lexus body parts the front, rear bumpers and sideskirts are are going to probably run 300 a piece. (The sideskirts 300 for a pair)

I understand aftermarket parts will lower the value of the car... but you could always put it all back to stock being that most of the aftermarket products are simply bolt ons or lip kits or held on by 3m tape like our lovely 300 dollar JDM visors

OR if anyone decided to buy the ISF body parts i'm sure it would fit with minor, if any, adjustments. and being that the ISF bumpers are probably going to be made of poly urethane you'll still have a pretty solid kit.

i'm just simply saying i don't think it's worth it, the extra 25... and this is just my opinion, especially if you have a 350 already..

here's the break down if one were to compare a realistic comparison.

25000 more for ISF and get all the upgraded parts

or

IS350 supercharged and modded

supercharger 5000 for a little over half of the HP
big brake kit 3000
(BTW our calipers are already HUGE but lets say we wanted BBK)
ISF body cosmetic parts including ISF tails 1000 all straight from lexus
suspension (coilovers) 1000
suspension braces and such 1000
since the ISF has 18's i'm not going to include that
exhaust same deal stock for stock so no differences

sooo.... $12,000, let's just say half

so at this point is there much of a difference?

you'll be paying 13,000 dollars more for i would have to say less than +50 hp, warranty and that F emblem

i'd say the best thing about the ISF is that
it's all under warranty
and that 25000 dollars is financeable over 60 months compared to if you have the is350 you have to front the money up front for everything or pay as you go along.

i'm not trying to downplay the car... because it's a great car... and i agree with you sometimes aftermarket products suck in fitment and etc but... how could you go wrong with brembos big brake kit, and factory poly urethane bumpers, and coilovers with suspension braces? all quality name brands which lead up to what the IS-F is pretty much made of.

i dunno... maybe i'm just trying to be rational and help myself from making irrational decisions.

um...the rims are BBS 19" light weight forged rims...and i am not sure how much the BBK from brembo costs for the setup they have in the IS-F...but if it is 3k...then wow...i expected more...heh oh and the IS-F has a dual intake, i am not sure if aftermarket companies make dual intakes so I am not sure what the cost for that is...plus the transmission on the IS-F should be a lot better than an IS350 right?
Old 02-12-08, 07:15 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
um...the rims are BBS 19" light weight forged rims...and i am not sure how much the BBK from brembo costs for the setup they have in the IS-F...but if it is 3k...then wow...i expected more...heh oh and the IS-F has a dual intake, i am not sure if aftermarket companies make dual intakes so I am not sure what the cost for that is...plus the transmission on the IS-F should be a lot better than an IS350 right?
Haha those are some real good points

And another factor to consider, the exclusivity of having an IS-F as opposed to an overmodded 350
Old 02-12-08, 08:20 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

um...the rims are BBS 19" light weight forged rims...
thought they were 18's... but if they are 19's people are changing them anyway, everyone knows it.

and i am not sure how much the BBK from brembo costs for the setup they have in the IS-F...but if it is 3k...then wow...i expected more...heh
i was quoted once for 3000 new from a friend owning a shop... could be a little more or less but i was just throwing out a ball park figure, we could make that figure 5 and will still stay under budget

oh and the IS-F has a dual intake, i am not sure if aftermarket companies make dual intakes so I am not sure what the cost for that is...plus the transmission on the IS-F should be a lot better than an IS350 right?
dual intake? they need all that to produce that 416hp engine. cost of that doesn't count. LOL. that's like saying i'll sell you a whole computer with no monitor or mouse. You need the intakes and all that to make the car push those numbers.

your right about the transmission. i'm just saying all in all it's not worth the jump IMO from a 350.

no arguments on my side.
Old 02-12-08, 08:26 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile
thought they were 18's... but if they are 19's people are changing them anyway, everyone knows it.

i was quoted once for 3000 new from a friend owning a shop... could be a little more or less but i was just throwing out a ball park figure, we could make that figure 5 and will still stay under budget

dual intake? they need all that to produce that 416hp engine. cost of that doesn't count. LOL. that's like saying i'll sell you a whole computer with no monitor or mouse. You need the intakes and all that to make the car push those numbers.

your right about the transmission. i'm just saying all in all it's not worth the jump IMO from a 350.

no arguments on my side.
heh okay...but I don't know if many people will change the 19" BBS Light weight forged rims (which should be pretty expensive cuz forged rims plus PS2 tires are about 4-5k)...but I do know a few ISx50 drivers that would want to buy those rims right away!...haha
Old 02-13-08, 06:58 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, if I had the money to be a rich snob, I'd probably buy it to be a rich snob and drive 60 in left lane just to **** people off and make them turn their heads to see me.

Put it this way, would you marry the woman of your dreams, or a woman 80% of your dreams and say "ahhh... who needs D cups when A cups are just as good..."
Old 02-16-08, 02:44 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

AlexusAnja,

That was one strange but interesting analogy. I am really bummed about the seat coolers. That is what seperated me from the Bimmer. My next car will end up being an NSX I think. I may just hold on the IS350. No point in getting rid of it now. It only has 8700 miles on it.