IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF; is it different enough for the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08 | 04:24 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ISF; is it different enough for the $$$?

I know many here won't share my opinion but I went to a ISF preview show last week at Lexus of Las Vegas. I haven't driven the car yet because they didn't have any demos yet.

Now just from getting in the car and taking a look around I am not sold on upgrading from an IS350. Now if I didn't already have one that may change my mind regarding the purchase of an ISF. However, I just can't justify coming up with the extra 25k for the ISF when it looks basically the same on the inside and even the outside looks minimally different. Now maybe driving the car will change my mind but for now that is my call on upgrading to from IS350.
Old 02-11-08 | 04:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need to feel the engine, transmission, seats, suspension, and brakes I can see it being worth it. IS350 is still far more than enough for everyday driving
Old 02-11-08 | 04:48 PM
BJM711
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
need to feel the engine, transmission, seats, suspension, and brakes I can see it being worth it. IS350 is still far more than enough for everyday driving
Plus 1. I didn't like taking a loss on my recently purchased IS 350, so I gave it to my wife who was ready for a new used car. The IS 350 is a great car, but the additional money for the IS F is bargain for what you get. One test drive and you will know why I say it is a bargain.
Old 02-11-08 | 06:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If I already had an IS350, I doubt I would go up to the IS-F. I also think that, just as IMO the M3 does pale quite a bit in value compared to the 335, the IS-F is the same to the 350. However (just as with the M3) I think the IS-F is still well worth the money in its own right.
Old 02-11-08 | 07:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

only way id want to get an IS-F is a CPO used one, save a ton of money. Buying a car like this new just doesnt sit well with me financially especially with first and second year depreciation, I'll let someone else take care of that for me
Old 02-11-08 | 07:30 PM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

OK, my '07 350 w/X-Package, nav, HIDs and a few other tidbits had a pure invoice of just over $35K (hair over $43K sticker). My incoming "F" w/the typical upgrades of ML and parking assist has a pure invoice of just over $51K (just over $61K sticker). Figuring for the ML and PA, which my 350 does NOT have, the difference is about $15K. Factor in what you're getting for the difference, and I would say the "F" is a screamin' bargain. Point taken, it is not an insignificant amount, even for the younger professionals Lexus is trying to attract with an obvious "halo" car. And I really don't think the company is hitting a financial home run with the car. I can't justfiy spending $71K ($78K sticker) for a Z06 Corvette, but I DO think it's a good value. Let's just be glad an ultra conservative company such as Toyota/Lexus would expend the resources to offer the "F."
Old 02-11-08 | 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
only way id want to get an IS-F is a CPO used one, save a ton of money. Buying a car like this new just doesnt sit well with me financially especially with first and second year depreciation, I'll let someone else take care of that for me
lol you expect someone to "take care" the car for you? cars like these, they are meant to be pushed
Old 02-12-08 | 06:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol you expect someone to "take care" the car for you? cars like these, they are meant to be pushed
huge majority of cars like the M3 never even touch a track through its entire life, its very rare that people will actually track their car. Thats what the CPO is for just in case. My car probably has been to the track more than 90% of M3s, and I've only been once
Old 02-12-08 | 07:31 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
Then why do I see owners of Porsches, M3, AMG's going 60mph (below speed limit) on the highways in So Cal?

Lots of older people don't really "push" their cars that much. More so with the ultra conservative Lexus buyer.

Its more so the 18 year old kid that mommy and daddy paid for their car that they really push on the car.
Old 02-12-08 | 08:07 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I know many here won't share my opinion but I went to a ISF preview show last week at Lexus of Las Vegas. I haven't driven the car yet because they didn't have any demos yet.

Now just from getting in the car and taking a look around I am not sold on upgrading from an IS350. Now if I didn't already have one that may change my mind regarding the purchase of an ISF. However, I just can't justify coming up with the extra 25k for the ISF when it looks basically the same on the inside and even the outside looks minimally different. Now maybe driving the car will change my mind but for now that is my call on upgrading to from IS350.
I have a fully loaded 250AWD ...and I'm with ya.
I really like the idea of all that power , it must sound amazing, but to be honest, I'm not going to the track, so the extra power will just get me in trouble...
Maybe if the interior were a bit different...I think my car has just about everything the ISF does.
Very nice though, and if I had cash like that. I would probably look into the ISF. But not worth it for me to spend the extra.
Old 02-12-08 | 08:54 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think there's a significant enough change personally def not if you already have a 350 with all the options other than ML and automatic cruise control and that's just my opinion.

but i do see how alot of people can justify the price difference.

-Sport suspension
-rims
-Big Brake Kit
-V8 engine
-some cosmetic changes

i don't race much and the only thing i like to do with my car from time to time is weave through traffic which i believe the 350 is substantial enough. Due to having body kit and my fear of rock chips i drive more slow than fast on a daily basis.

sport suspension.... how many of you are honestly going to be switching that to coilovers?

factory rims..... how many of you are going to keep those as snow tires or get rid of them period?

the additional 116hp is nice don't get me wrong. now most HP getting diehards would say 25,000 is too much for 100hps and would probably laugh...

and although everyone knocked ddquach for getting 50hps to the wheel, which i feel bad for the guy but in his defense he only spent 5000 compared to 25,000 for the LMS supercharger kit

with big brake kit installed and other cosmetic changes it's not even half as much

great thing though is warranty from lexus........... that's if you have a nice lexus dealership and they don't try to nickel and dime you for everything

the v8 engine is awesome though i only hope that it has better gas mileage than former v8 engines because gas prices aren't getting any lower.

i'm not talking bad about the ISF i just feel that if you have the 350 it's not much of a jump for 25000...

i bet everyone soon that has the IS350 is waiting to cosmetically upgrade to the isF body parts anyway. tail lights are already on the market.

i dunno... just my opinion
Old 02-12-08 | 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Then why do I see owners of Porsches, M3, AMG's going 60mph (below speed limit) on the highways in So Cal?

Lots of older people don't really "push" their cars that much. More so with the ultra conservative Lexus buyer.

Its more so the 18 year old kid that mommy and daddy paid for their car that they really push on the car.
sure, you guys say whatever you want. you don't need to be on the track to push your car. i see so many m3 and other young owners racing on the street and freeways. is-f falls into that category.
Old 02-12-08 | 09:25 AM
toyotadad
Driver School Candidate

Bat, where would all of those cool "F" parts come from if Lexus didn't make the car? Aftermarket? We all know how most of that stuff fits and holds up, or the addition of which shrinks the market of potential buyers when you sell your car. No, the "F" isn't in everyone's budget or sphere of justification. I love my 350, but I lust for an "F," which will hit port next Tuesday. And while MOST of the time I do drive like an upstanding, law-abiding citizen, there are those times ... well, you get the picture.
Old 02-12-08 | 09:43 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to throw this out there. My sales rep said they don't have air cooled seats in the ISF. They only have heaters. This was confirmed when I sat in the car and they only had the red numbers on the roller.

Also, I only paid 35,500 for my car. Sticker was higher but I got the last 06' on the lot in December so the price difference for me is about 25k. I don't have ML and I wish I had that but I don't think the stock stereo sucks by any means either. So the 25k difference for engine, 8A, Brembos and different colored seats? I don't know. I am still waiting to drive it but I am also in the market for an NSX that is used. I coule pick one up for 38k that is pushing 500hp with a rebuilt engine and turbo kit. $60k???

The interior just doesn't look any different really. I mean I was shocked how similar they look. I have the money but I just don't think I will feel good in the morning about that purchase. I seriously considered getting a 335i or M3 before that car. Just like several of us on this board I get bored with cars easily. So why would I want a faster car that resembles the current ride I have in the garage. I don't think I would feel that great after a year or two. Plus, in Las Vegas the seat coolers are huge.

Last edited by SilverBull; 02-12-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-12-08 | 01:16 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotadad
Bat, where would all of those cool "F" parts come from if Lexus didn't make the car? Aftermarket? We all know how most of that stuff fits and holds up, or the addition of which shrinks the market of potential buyers when you sell your car.
haha... i'm not trying to say i'm not grateful for the fact that the IS-F was released because i for one want the car myself... but the question at hand bud is, is it worth $25,000 more.

After the car is released like most Lexus body parts the front, rear bumpers and sideskirts are are going to probably run 300 a piece. (The sideskirts 300 for a pair)

I understand aftermarket parts will lower the value of the car... but you could always put it all back to stock being that most of the aftermarket products are simply bolt ons or lip kits or held on by 3m tape like our lovely 300 dollar JDM visors

OR if anyone decided to buy the ISF body parts i'm sure it would fit with minor, if any, adjustments. and being that the ISF bumpers are probably going to be made of poly urethane you'll still have a pretty solid kit.

i'm just simply saying i don't think it's worth it, the extra 25... and this is just my opinion, especially if you have a 350 already..

here's the break down if one were to compare a realistic comparison.

25000 more for ISF and get all the upgraded parts

or

IS350 supercharged and modded

supercharger 5000 for a little over half of the HP
big brake kit 3000
(BTW our calipers are already HUGE but lets say we wanted BBK)
ISF body cosmetic parts including ISF tails 1000 all straight from lexus
suspension (coilovers) 1000
suspension braces and such 1000
since the ISF has 18's i'm not going to include that
exhaust same deal stock for stock so no differences

sooo.... $12,000, let's just say half

so at this point is there much of a difference?

you'll be paying 13,000 dollars more for i would have to say less than +50 hp, warranty and that F emblem

i'd say the best thing about the ISF is that
it's all under warranty
and that 25000 dollars is financeable over 60 months compared to if you have the is350 you have to front the money up front for everything or pay as you go along.

i'm not trying to downplay the car... because it's a great car... and i agree with you sometimes aftermarket products suck in fitment and etc but... how could you go wrong with brembos big brake kit, and factory poly urethane bumpers, and coilovers with suspension braces? all quality name brands which lead up to what the IS-F is pretty much made of.

i dunno... maybe i'm just trying to be rational and help myself from making irrational decisions.

Last edited by Batmobile; 02-12-08 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: ISF; is it different enough for the $$$?