IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can we get a verdict on those stacked exhausts yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 08:48 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it would be better not connected, what if you got in a wreak and like someone rear ends you, and you needed your bumper replaced well they would have to cut your exhaust and then reconnect them. And it would cost more money for you. Or if you wanted to repaint your bumper they would have to cut it and then try to wield it back. and it would be easier if you wanted a aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-21-08, 10:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
with so any of you guys having the IS-F already, i havent been able to locate whether or not the stacked exhausts are connected or not. online, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity and confusion. some say they are, others say not.

so can we get some verification from an owner?

(sorry if this was already mentioned, burried dee in the other threads)
I clarified this a long long time ago...some never choose to really pay attention or listen.

I've posted several times on this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316810

12-10-07, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by flipside909

Here's more proof they are NOT connected. I took these photos on 10/26/07 after the Press Event @ Carmel, right as they were being loaded on the transporter en route to SEMA in Las Vegas shortly there after.

See the shield with brackets holding it in place...
Old 02-21-08, 10:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It would be silly to connect the exhaust canisters to the bumper for the simple fact that the exhaust system moves back and forth while the engine is revving, transmission shifting and etc. That is why there are rubber hangers and a flex pipe to give it movement. You can clearly see the bottom pipe of the exhaust canister exposed from underneath.
Hate to say I told ya so.
Old 02-22-08, 10:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Hate to say I told ya so.
I Never doubted you for a second!!!
Old 02-22-08, 10:21 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't there a pic as well of one that DID have the exhausts connected? I could of sworn I saw something like that. Unless it was a chop.
Old 02-22-08, 01:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by car_lost
Wasn't there a pic as well of one that DID have the exhausts connected? I could of sworn I saw something like that. Unless it was a chop.
No... they never were... not even on the early pre-productions units..

Jz
Old 02-23-08, 10:42 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
with so any of you guys having the IS-F already, i havent been able to locate whether or not the stacked exhausts are connected or not. online, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity and confusion. some say they are, others say not.

so can we get some verification from an owner?

(sorry if this was already mentioned, burried dee in the other threads)
I thought it was to help the exhaust sound effects. My dealer told me no. He told me that they originally found that at very high speeds the attached exhaust started to break off the bumper or something like that. Apparently the detached bumper is for aerodynamic reasons.
Old 02-23-08, 11:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

directly connected exhaust would vibrate to hell your bumper and the car, not to mention when you get rear ended the impact transfers energy up to the exhaust manifolds. Nothing like having to fix something on the engine when you get rear ended. Exhaust systems have to be free floating on the rubber hangars, thats a significant source of getting rid of vibration from the engine

dont get why people are making a big deal about it
Old 02-23-08, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

bottom line is exhaust can never ever been fully attached to the bumper. they vibrate and move a lot when driving, turning, accelerating, etc... it will create a lot of rattle noise, damage the bumper in the long run, and the heat could melt the paint easily. there is a reason why exhausts on all cars are on a suspension (hangers) and not welded...

so it comes down to manufacturers on the design. they can have the tips on the exhaust, but that has to be free hanging, like most cars out there. or they have the tips integrated with the bumper and the real exhaust in the back, like some cars out there in the market.

it's no rocket science. and i doubt if that tips can have much effect on exhaust sound?
Old 02-23-08, 05:54 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost

they are screwing with us!
Old 02-23-08, 06:39 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

The point is,

the exhaust would have been better if it wasn't integrated into the bumper. It would have been better if it was free-flowing, resting underneath the bumper, and had chrome tips on the ends. It just seems more seamless, more mechanical that way. The bottom line is that the tips are fake, regardless of other more expensive cars having the same thing. And really? Most if not all of those higher end cars have exhasts integrated into the bumper, which is why, obviously, they have fake tips. And I think that's lame. So to say that "Well, there are some $250k cars that have have fake tips, so there!" is missing the point completely. It has nothing to do with that. The point is, if I'm paying an extra $25k for an IS, personally, I'd like to have a true-to-form exhaust, like an AMG or M. It just seems classier, cleaner and more indicative of what I feel a car should be. Parts of a car that are fake and don't truly have function aside from cosmetics just seems rice to me. It's the eqivalent of a fake hood scoop, a fake intercooler or side vents that lead nowhere and aim to cool nothing. That's that.

It's not to knock on anyone who owns an ISF, it's just my perogative.
Old 02-23-08, 09:19 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
The point is,

the exhaust would have been better if it wasn't integrated into the bumper. It would have been better if it was free-flowing, resting underneath the bumper, and had chrome tips on the ends. It just seems more seamless, more mechanical that way. The bottom line is that the tips are fake, regardless of other more expensive cars having the same thing. And really? Most if not all of those higher end cars have exhasts integrated into the bumper, which is why, obviously, they have fake tips. And I think that's lame. So to say that "Well, there are some $250k cars that have have fake tips, so there!" is missing the point completely. It has nothing to do with that. The point is, if I'm paying an extra $25k for an IS, personally, I'd like to have a true-to-form exhaust, like an AMG or M. It just seems classier, cleaner and more indicative of what I feel a car should be. Parts of a car that are fake and don't truly have function aside from cosmetics just seems rice to me. It's the eqivalent of a fake hood scoop, a fake intercooler or side vents that lead nowhere and aim to cool nothing. That's that.

It's not to knock on anyone who owns an ISF, it's just my perogative.
I understand what you are saying, but what exactly does the exhaust tips do to the performance of the car? Is it purely a mind set? And as for your Fake scoop or fake intercooler vents, I can understand the problem there b/c they are are infact performance related mods and on cars that don't have turbos ect, ect, what is the point. But the exhaust tips are only there to make the it look better, whether they are connected or not like on the M and AMG. I just don't see your point It is like saying I couldn't drive a car with out a body kit, it does nothing for the car except make it look better.
Old 02-23-08, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i respect that as a personal preference, although my stand is i can care less if those tips are connected to the exhaust or not. coz' bottom line is it doesn't do ANYTHING to begin with. you can think of it as a lame idea (and so do the exotics), nothing wrong with that, it's personal choice.

but i won't agree with the "true-to-form" part. first amg and m don't define the industry, you might as well throw in honda and hyundai. and last time i check, exhaust tips do absolutely nothing in performance. that's cosmetic, so i don't know how "true-to-form" works or where the definition is. to me exhaust is the "pipe" from the engine to dissipate the wasteful air, that's it. look at race car where the exhaust is on the side, i don't see any tips on there at all

imho i am not sure i would put this together with hood scoop and intercooler. those stuff actually has their FUNCTIONS other than cosmetic. but what actual function does exhaust tip do besides cosmetic??

in any case, i find it funny that this exhaust sega is blown so out of proportion. it's kind of like the other thread where people complain that the is-f engine is a like a mess underneath the engine cover

i wish there were more threads talking about performance, handling, track times, driving experience, etc... about the car

pretty much my last post on this topic
Old 02-25-08, 11:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

For what its worth.. I dug up some more helpful info...

Originally Posted by Lexus Tech Info

A true high-performance engine relies on outstanding support systems and thoughtful engineering that touches every detail. The Lexus IS F's unique stacked quad diffusers, for example, make more than a visual statement. They play an important role in a high-performance exhaust system by reducing backpressure. The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.
Enjoy

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-25-08 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added color...
Old 02-25-08, 12:17 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I understand what you are saying, but what exactly does the exhaust tips do to the performance of the car? Is it purely a mind set? And as for your Fake scoop or fake intercooler vents, I can understand the problem there b/c they are are infact performance related mods and on cars that don't have turbos ect, ect, what is the point. But the exhaust tips are only there to make the it look better, whether they are connected or not like on the M and AMG. I just don't see your point It is like saying I couldn't drive a car with out a body kit, it does nothing for the car except make it look better.
I guess I'm saying that I prefer a unified exhaust more than I'm saying I wish the exhaust tips weren't fake. I should have clarified it more. So the actual tips, no, they aren't related to performance. But if they're "real" tips, then it's relative to a unified exhaust. So to me, "real" exhast tips and a unified exhaust are one in the same because you can't have one without the other, if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Can we get a verdict on those stacked exhausts yet?