IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Taking home a IS-F for weekend test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 05:14 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Taking home a IS-F for weekend test drive

Can't wait until tomorrow. Wish I can travel through time.

Already had a brief test drive last week but it was during the rush hour traffic around 5PM therefore wasn't a good test drive (couldn't open up a little bit). Dealer offer to let me take one of the demo IS-F home this weekend. This will give me a better impression on the IS-F. This is why I love Lexus (will be my 5th Lexus).

Chu...
Old 02-20-08, 06:25 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't forget to take it to the dragstrip and put it on youtube.
Old 02-20-08, 06:43 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

thats awesome, im asking for one too!
Old 02-21-08, 01:28 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
Actually on March 14th they are having a Lexus event where it will take place at our local drag strip and track. Only a selected few owners will be invited where we will have the opportunity to sit with a professional driver to test drive the IS-F.

Going to take the IS-F around half of the island on Saturday morning (approximately 45 minutes travel time - yeah Guam is a small pacific island). Can't wait to see how well it handles around the hills and less then perfect Guam roads.
Old 02-23-08, 12:38 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
Funny! But, yes, please do!
Old 02-23-08, 02:13 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Default UPDATE: Weekend extended test drive impression

Just returned the IS-F to the dealer a couple hours ago. The IS-F only had 110 miles on the odometer and I added another 120 miles. Hehehe. Had it since yesterday afternoon. They gave me a ultrasonic blue IS-F with Bridgestone RE050A tires. My first test drive a week ago was a silver iS-F with Michelin PS2. i felt that the RE050A is a bit noisier (tire rumble) and harsher ride than the PS2 (not a whole lot but noticible). I think the PS2 has a thinner sidewall than the RE050A. I like the ride quality of the PS2. Grip on both tires are about the same. I told my dealer that I wanted the PS2 on the IS-F I ordered.

I felt the ultrasonic blue is too flashy for my taste. Today was a very sunny day and the Ultrasonic blue sure looks great in the sunlight. It sure attracted alot of people. I had 3 brief street races (traffic was pretty clear on saturday morning). I also had 3 other peoples in the IS-F as I drove around the island. i was driving about 40 to 45mph and these drivers all started doing a high speed flyby at which time I would floor it and pass them a few second later. Raced a 350Z, Acura RSX and a new Mustang GT (4.6 V8). The IS-F's V8 had no problem catching up and passing these cars. Interesting that after passing them they all decided to stay far back. The exhaust tone at full thottle is quite pleasing. Couldn't tell how loud it was from the outside. I will wait for March 14 for the Lexus event at our local drag strip to hear it from the outside.

Chu...
Old 02-23-08, 04:14 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm glad to hear the car pulls well.
Old 02-23-08, 09:46 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

I agree about the sonic blue. It's probably the nicest color (cause it's exclusive and vibrant), but it is a little wild for me also. If I were planning to put on new wheels and compete in car shows then I'd stick w/ the blue. However I gave up my blue (first incoming one in town) to someone else and took on the order for starfire pearl instead. I want to have the semi-executive look of the pearl white that won't attract as many kiddie racers and could still take on the 'direct competition' by surprise if for some odd reason I were to.
Old 02-23-08, 10:59 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
I had 3 brief street races (traffic was pretty clear on saturday morning). I also had 3 other peoples in the IS-F as I drove around the island. i was driving about 40 to 45mph and these drivers all started doing a high speed flyby at which time I would floor it and pass them a few second later. Raced a 350Z, Acura RSX and a new Mustang GT (4.6 V8). The IS-F's V8 had no problem catching up and passing these cars. Interesting that after passing them they all decided to stay far back. The exhaust tone at full thottle is quite pleasing. Couldn't tell how loud it was from the outside. I will wait for March 14 for the Lexus event at our local drag strip to hear it from the outside.
Very cool, sounds like a great experience
Old 02-23-08, 02:11 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Just want to add a couple of more comment.

The dealer kept convincing me to get the Ultrasonic blue but i felt it attracted so many attention (from cops too). Going to stay with the silver.

The throttle and transmission response is amazing even at full auto mode. I did use the sport VDIM and manual mode for a uphill curvy road run. The IS-F was flat through these curves. Never got the feeling of lack of braking power from the Brembo when it was time to go downhill. Never got the sense of lack of power in fact my passengers were all saying I was driving too slow until they saw the speedometer. I was carving these uphill curves at 80mph and it felt like I was driving at 50. I had taken my GS430 on this same road and it rolls heavily even at 70. I need to also get used to the throttle response. In normal driving I need to be gentle with the accelerator as pushing it too fast will raise the rpm too fast and hold the last gear longer even after I lift my accelerator pedal (more gas wasted). The IS-F also seem to hold the gear longer when it thinks you are driving agressively. I was getting a estimated 11.5 mpg avg. In my last hour with the IS-F I tried (really hard to do hehehe..) to drive conservatively to gauge my daily normal driving in city traffic I got 19mpg avg. There is certainly more exhaust tone when drive slowly at 35 to 45 mph around town. Driving faster seems to quiet the exhaust. I now have a feeling will I get tired and remaing happy with the exhaust volume and ride quality after a few year? Still debating. No longer getting younger.

Found isolated road and did a standing start acceleration test. First VDIM-Sport/Traction Off. Held the brake and press the gas. It was so easy to light up the rear. Did a burn out like what those Youtube and Lexus videos. That was fun. The rear was moving sideways. hehehe... Did another test. VDIM Sport/traction On. It allows me some wheel spins, smoke the tire briefly and it smoothly accelerates the IS-F. Never felt that it was abruptly robbing me of power but the IS-F was easier to control in this mode.

Overall I really enjoyed the IS-F. Part of me is still debating between the smooth luxury GS460 (don't need the room though) or sport driving of the IS-F. I need a new car. My faithful GS430 has been giving me a enjoyable 7 years (longest I ever kept a car).

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 02-23-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 06:50 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

PICS?

Might as well give us a photoshoot if you're keeping the car for the whole wekend.

Also, I'm really surprised they're letting you take it for a whole weekend. If I was a prospective buyer, I would NOT want to buy that ISF. I would wait for a new one to be shipped. It's a limited edition car, an expensive investment and dealerships only get one a month, if that. Seems kind of in poor taste on their part. But you're lucky you got to take advantage of it.

I know Lexus of Seattle didn't let anyone even test drive their ISF for five minutes, with a dealer in the passenger seat, unless you could convince them you were serious about buying.
Old 02-23-08, 11:56 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reyngel
PICS?

Might as well give us a photoshoot if you're keeping the car for the whole wekend.
I had already returned the car. Guam is 1 day ahead of US (GMT+10). We are on the other side of the international date line. It is sunday night now. Didn't want to keep it until Monday. I have a meeting in the morning and don't want to rush returning the car, arrange to have someone to pick me up at the dealer and then to drop me off at home to pickup my car so I decided to return it on Saturday late afternoon.

Also, I'm really surprised they're letting you take it for a whole weekend. If I was a prospective buyer, I would NOT want to buy that ISF. I would wait for a new one to be shipped. It's a limited edition car, an expensive investment and dealerships only get one a month, if that. Seems kind of in poor taste on their part. But you're lucky you got to take advantage of it. .
The two IS-F (Silver & blue) were originally for customers. A third black IS-F was shipped to Hong Kong. I had special ordered the silver a few months ago but when the cars arrived the dealer's big boss want to setup a Lexus event at the track on March 14th therefore the sales manager could not sell these two units now as they will be used as demos. The next two IS-F Blue and Red are arriving in March while a silver is in April which will be mine and it will not be driven by anyone as a demo or displayed. After the event both demos will be sold as demo. In fact the silver is already presold and the owner is picking it up on March 15 after the Lexus event which is why they did not give me the silver IS-F this weekend. The new owner knows that the silver car is going to be run hard during the event. I know he is getting a big discount in purchasing this demo silver IS-F.

I know Lexus of Seattle didn't let anyone even test drive their ISF for five minutes, with a dealer in the passenger seat, unless you could convince them you were serious about buying.
It all really depend on the dealer and how well they treat their customer. I know they don't allow test drives to just anyone. I have been a loyal Lexus customer since 1990. I was their second person to buy a Lexus on Guam. Had personally purchased 4 Lexus and convinced my relatives to purchase 3 more.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 02-24-08 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 11:10 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test Drive

Chuh, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I was there when chuh picked up the car. i thought it was silver. Chuh you're such a bad influence. You know i have a family and you kept taunting me to "get the keys." 4 what its worth, the Lexus dealer here treats customers well, especially repeat customers. I've purchased 4 vehicles form them and the dealer let me take an LX570 home for the day. I was too nervous to drive it so i kept it in the garage and returned it promptly at 8am the next morning.
Old 02-25-08, 11:29 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0260n5.7
Chuh, glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I was there when chuh picked up the car. i thought it was silver. Chuh you're such a bad influence. You know i have a family and you kept taunting me to "get the keys." 4 what its worth, the Lexus dealer here treats customers well, especially repeat customers. I've purchased 4 vehicles form them and the dealer let me take an LX570 home for the day. I was too nervous to drive it so i kept it in the garage and returned it promptly at 8am the next morning.
Hi Mike:

I was going to take the silver but Dave told me it was sold and he didn't want to risk it therefore gave me the blue instead. Hope you are going to join us in the Lexus event in March 14th at the track.

Chu...