IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Side fender vents real???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 07:37 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
There non-functional, purely cosmetic at least for the usdm isfs.
Actually they're functional. If you remove the side skirts you can see the channels that lead into the engine bay.
Old 02-10-16, 07:42 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Actually they're functional. If you remove the side skirts you can see the channels that lead into the engine bay.
edit? I did see the holes was always told their fake

Last edited by k20trick; 02-10-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 10:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

The holes aren't fake, they're holes, but does the slit actually move air from the engine bay to the outside? Seriously doubt it. There's no hole in the engine bay leading to the vents. Air is funny and it only moves from regions of high pressure to low pressure. The only way to be sure it to test it, and my bet is you won't see any significant air movement when you do.
Old 02-10-16, 11:09 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i always thought the hot air was coming out from there, either from engine or the brakes but i guess everyone is disagreeing with that
Old 02-11-16, 12:01 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the RCF press kit it has a picture showing it removing (Hot air?). I don't know if the RCF's vents were made to be more function vs. the ISF. Honestly if they do anything it probably has to do with a slight change in aerodynamics. They probably are mostly for looks to lessen the transitional impact of the wider fenders and maybe they give a little functional side benefit.

Old 02-11-16, 01:05 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I wanted to believe they were functional.

Maybe the aftermarket can come up with a product. I'd buy it, as I'm limiting myself to making only functional mods to the car, & adding nothing cosmetic. I did break that rule though with the Toms diffuser installed this week (price was too good to pass up).
Old 02-11-16, 01:41 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
In the RCF press kit it has a picture showing it removing (Hot air?). I don't know if the RCF's vents were made to be more function vs. the ISF. Honestly if they do anything it probably has to do with a slight change in aerodynamics. They probably are mostly for looks to lessen the transitional impact of the wider fenders and maybe they give a little functional side benefit.

They did indeed make the side vents functional on the rcf. You can see slits in their wheel well whereas our F's you can not.
Old 02-11-16, 01:49 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The air blasting into the egine bay finds its way out of those vents when the car is moving..

Of Course they are Functional..!!!

Just dig up some photos of the IS F with Fenders removed and you'll see the holes that route from the engine bay..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-11-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 02:13 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Exactly , i remembered at the debut of the f performance track . They did mentioned it joez was there too lolz
Old 02-11-16, 08:15 PM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Pulled from a different thread, but why is it blocked off with a plastic piece when you look at from the side of the car?

Old 02-11-16, 09:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

nice good to know they are functional!
Old 02-12-16, 12:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

So, I repeat what I said, there are no openings in the engine bay leading to the front fenders. None. If those vents vent anything it is air trapped behind the fender, not heat from the engine bay or the brakes.

From TIS New Car Features where all things like this are described in detail:

IS F - The voluminous hood and side outlets create the distinctive “F” form.

RC F - The "F" shaped side air vents that extend to the top of the front fender not only give a dynamic impression but also aerodynamically enhance handling stability.
Shapes provided in front of and behind the rear wheels realize both excellent aerodynamics and a wide and low stance.

So there is the reality. The F's slits are purely for styling, and the RC F's are functional.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-12-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 12:54 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So, I repeat what I said, there are no openings in the engine bay leading to the front fenders. None. If those vents vent anything it is air trapped behind the fender, not heat from the engine bay or the brakes.

From TIS New Car Features where all things like this are described in detail:

IS F - The voluminous hood and side outlets create the distinctive “F” form.

RC F - The "F" shaped side air vents that extend to the top of the front fender not only give a dynamic impression but also aerodynamically enhance handling stability.
Shapes provided in front of and behind the rear wheels realize both excellent aerodynamics and a wide and low stance.

So there is the reality. The F's slits are purely for styling, and the RC F's are functional.
Lobuxracer, if they are just for styling do you know why they have the 3 actual holes cut out behind? Could it be some kinda of "chamber" that draws heat out from the top two smaller holes and exits the bottom larger lower one? You would figure with Lexus/Toyota (model of efficient manufacturing)if they were not functional at all, why go through the trouble of making the 3 "vent" holes, just stamp it a solid piece right?

From the TIS New Car Feature description, it didn't directly say the side outlets were non functional right? Here's hoping they serve some kind of purpose instead of just a styling cue.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-12-16 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 01:03 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Lobuxracer, if they are just for styling do you know why they have the 3 actual holes cut out behind? Could it be some kinda of "chamber" that draws heat out from the top two smaller holes and exits the bottom larger lower one? You would figure with Lexus/Toyota if they were not functional at all, why go through the trouble of making the 3 "vent" holes, just stamp it a solid piece right?

From the TIS New Car Feature description, it didn't directly say the side outlets were non functional right? Here's hoping they serve some kind of purpose instead of just a styling cue.
When I removed my side skirts I took a pretty good look at everything underneath. Not only are there holes in the fender, but if you look through them there's a squared plastic channel/tube on top. I should've taken pictures of it. I haven't taken a good look inside the engine bay so I'm not sure where the channel/tube goes. If it was warmer I'd look to see where that channel goes to, if anywhere at all, but we're at sub-freezing temps right now.

Last edited by jat0223; 02-12-16 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 01:58 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys, go out & look at your vehicles. These are not vents. The opening is blocked. The gill is said (in the TIS "New Car Features" guide for the RCF) to "...aerodynamically enhance handling stability. ...". That's all they do. On the RCF.

Quick Reply: Side fender vents real???