IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

question for owners of IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 08:58 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question for owners of IS-F

Did the dealership let you test drive your car much before purchase? I am trying to get my salesman to give me a ride in one but that seems pretty hard to do. What is the story on driving on of these cars? Is driving the car noticebly a big difference than an IS350?
Old 03-21-08, 09:54 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much had to commit to buying the car almost. When I knew I was going to buy it, I signed some paper that said if I wasn't pleased with the test drive I didn't have to buy it. But this was all after I put $5,000 down on the car. They were looking for a commitment basically. Good luck with the test drive.
Old 03-21-08, 11:09 AM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership I use is being very careful with test drives too- requiring sales person to ride along and limiting who can test. The car is so new and higher performance than any previous Lexus so they are being careful. I'm sure things will ease up eventually.

Under 3600 RPM in D mode the car feels just like an IS350. Put it in sport mode and go over 4000 RPM and the car becomes a beast.
Old 03-21-08, 11:12 AM
macpro
Driver School Candidate

Default Test Ride

I was able to test drive an IS F before buying. If you're serious about buying, I would tell your Sales Rep that before you spend $60,000 plus for a car, you want to know how it's going to drive. If he still will not let you drive it, I would find another dealer.

I just purchased an IS F and would not have bought it without driving it first. I would suggest you do the same.
Old 03-21-08, 11:17 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I flew down to Florida to drive it on a race track to decide whether I wanted to buy it. I had to drive it before committing.
Old 03-21-08, 12:05 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't even test drive the IS-F...just read reviews...saw it at the LA Auto Show...decided to get it...didn't even do those test dyno runs they had around before they sold the car...
Old 03-21-08, 12:23 PM
CQE1
Driver School Candidate

Same here, I work at location that had them for a year, and I didn't even ask for a ride. I knew what lurked under the hood and it was a no-brainer. I owned a 350 and just from the looks and specs I knew this car something very special.

As far as a test drive, my dealer did not let anyone drive mine except the TECH. who did the PDI. If the car is not sold they are placed inside the showroom and only very prosepective buyers can take a spin with a salesperson. I can't blame most dealers for a solo test drive....I mean how would you feel if your IS F was joy rided around before you purchased it?. It's assuring knowing that dealers are being careful with this car.

I'm not sure where you live but perhaps someone on the forum could give you a quick spin.....if you live in SoCAL area let me know.

CQE 1
08 IS F Smoky Granite
Old 03-21-08, 01:14 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove it around the block, but I knew I wanted it before then. Same as when I purchased my M3 in 1999.
Old 03-21-08, 01:21 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

I live in Vegas and bought two Lexus cars over the last year and half. So they treat me pretty good but they still gave me the runaround about the test drive. There are no demos and you basically have to give them 5k to show interest. My issues is I would like to compare what it feels like to a BMW M3. I am looking more and more at new cars. I was close to buying a 97' NSX but that didn't pan out so I am scouting the car market for something faster and better handling than my current IS350. I am afraid that the IS-F just appears too much like my current car for me to buy one. They also took out the ventilated seats which pissed me off. If I can't drive the car than I won't buy it. It is that simple for me. I was on the fence anyway with the car. I didn't get ML in my IS350 and wish I did get it though. That makes me think about it a little.
Old 03-21-08, 03:41 PM
2JZIS-F
Rookie

Its all depend what you drive up there lol.
Old 03-21-08, 05:13 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I was asked if I wanted a test drive. When I did drive it the sales representative didn't come with me. I bought it later that day. Inskip Lexus has provided me with the highest level of service which was great. I would recommend them.
Old 03-21-08, 05:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

I would never buy from a dealer that even hesitated at giving me a test drive. Fair enough I have spent a lot on Lexus in the past, but I have always been afforded the same service from day one. Granted, US is different to Japan.
Old 03-21-08, 05:50 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I would never buy from a dealer that even hesitated at giving me a test drive. Fair enough I have spent a lot on Lexus in the past, but I have always been afforded the same service from day one. Granted, US is different to Japan.
can you even get a test drive for the IS-F in Japan? I thought they were backordered or something...heh
Old 03-21-08, 07:53 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
can you even get a test drive for the IS-F in Japan? I thought they were backordered or something...heh
They have demo cars here that are not for sale. I test drove one the week they were released. But yes, they are all back ordered, last I heard was 18 months wait.
Old 03-21-08, 08:36 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
They have demo cars here that are not for sale. I test drove one the week they were released. But yes, they are all back ordered, last I heard was 18 months wait.
haha...import one from the US?

Quick Reply: question for owners of IS-F