IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My front bumper is slightly damaged. Question for you all.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08 | 03:40 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Default My front bumper is slightly damaged. Question for you all.

Well I had to travel yesterday and today and my father had borrowed my IS-F. Unfortunately something happened and the area under the front fog light is slightlyl damaged (pressed in a little). If the depression of the bumper is not bad, is this kind of bumper repairable or do I need to order a whole new front bumper. I figured if I needed to order a new bumper it would cost the following

Bumper $350
Paint $700-800???
Re-application of clear bra $500
Labor... not sure

I feel sick now guys.
Old 04-09-08 | 03:53 PM
photomaker
Rookie

pics? I KNOW you got photo skills!

That sux. I scratched my rear passenger wheel and felt sick for two days...and the scratch isn't too bad either...
Old 04-09-08 | 03:53 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about the damage...the first scratch/ding/blemish on a new car is always the worst.

Can you post some pics of the damage? Hopefully it isn't too severe.
Old 04-09-08 | 06:08 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by photomaker
pics? I KNOW you got photo skills!

That sux. I scratched my rear passenger wheel and felt sick for two days...and the scratch isn't too bad either...
Thanks for the compliments on the photo skills... but yes here are some pictures. When you look at these, you may see a crease in the area where it's pushed in. That's because I had the 3M clear bra on the front. So I'll definitely need to replace that. The paint is not cracked.

Old 04-09-08 | 07:19 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps the scratch in the 3M clear bra just makes it look worse than it really is. It's because you can see the definition of the abrasion that just makes me not so happy.
Old 04-09-08 | 08:34 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Doesnt look that bad....if you want to save money and not replace the bumper, i'm sure a good bodyshop guy can use a heat gun to flatten out the dent and bondo it....and repaint it......wouldn't think it would cost more than $300.
Old 04-09-08 | 08:47 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikken
Doesnt look that bad....if you want to save money and not replace the bumper, i'm sure a good bodyshop guy can use a heat gun to flatten out the dent and bondo it....and repaint it......wouldn't think it would cost more than $300.
I have the 3M bra on the front of it. I think the will have to peel that off first then use the heat gun. The paint is not scratched, just the 3M material. I'm not to educated on how to repair these kinds of damages to stock bumpers. Should the heat gun work to smooth it out a little?
Old 04-09-08 | 09:36 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ngl1145
I have the 3M bra on the front of it. I think the will have to peel that off first then use the heat gun. The paint is not scratched, just the 3M material. I'm not to educated on how to repair these kinds of damages to stock bumpers. Should the heat gun work to smooth it out a little?
yes, but just becareful not to overheat the bumper which can cause an indentation... the bra's gonna have to come off.....plus keep something cool near you, just incase, when you flatten it out, you should cool it quickly with water so that you wont make an indentation. take some pics with the bra off....one of the reason why I'm still considering getting a clear bra.
Old 04-09-08 | 09:49 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess I'm going to have to spend another $500 or so just for that section. What a pain.. but it did do it's job. The paint is untouched. Oh and thanks for the advice.
Old 04-09-08 | 10:23 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I say you leave it and look around for an IS-F or something. Wait around cause from what it looks like, its minor and painting, new bra, and all that mess is TOO much money.

Please leave it and wait for a lip.
Old 04-09-08 | 11:19 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I second that. I'd leave it alone. The front overhang is so low, you'll probably hit a parking stop sooner or later anyways and damage it again!
Old 04-10-08 | 12:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That's definitely repairable. Take it to a reputable body shop that you trust and see if they can send the bumper out to be reconditioned aka remanufactured. It's alot cheaper than buying a whole new bumper cover.
Old 04-10-08 | 01:13 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

leave as it is! or if u still want something to do, take of clear bra, and look at it again. It is too small dent, not worth remaking bumper. From my experience, the worst thing to get REpainted is front bumper! after that, paint is not holding as it was factory painted. And I guess if u repaint bumper and put clear bra again, taking that bra off again would take half of paint...

The dent is too small to be worth repair or it is even not noticable. Wait until something happens to bumper again (tfu tfu tfu through left shoulder) and then do something..

is just that i would do....
Old 04-10-08 | 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i doubt that will require a replacement, well you can repaint it, good thing its towards the bottom of the front lip, its less of an eye sore there
Old 04-10-08 | 07:52 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for your input. I just went to the dealership this morning and have decided to replace the whole front bumper cover. With the cost to fix the bumper vs buying a new one, I would rather buy a new one. Then I'm going to have the clear 3M material added again to protect it. This time I'm not going to have the front license plate bracket drilled through. When I take photos the car will have cleaner lines as well. I'm taking care of it at the end of the month. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Quick Reply: My front bumper is slightly damaged. Question for you all.