IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 11:39 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
like i said the is-f rotors LOOK directional from outside coz' of the drilled holes
It's because of the drilled holes that make the rotors look non-directional. The rotors on the ISF are, in fact, NOT directional and it's obvious by the cross drilling. Look at the left side, then look at the right side. The cross drilled holes are going in opposite directions.
Old 04-25-08, 11:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

i disagree. it's done if it's needed. if the brakes can be done for CHEAPER (meaning not directional) but achieve the same kind of cooling, then that's a smart move.

like i said the is-f rotors LOOK directional from outside coz' of the drilled holes, however it's not directional inside at all. therefore it's pointless to have 2 different designs.

however the wheels are different stories. they are directional coz' each side help to draw air INTO the brakes to help cooling.

look at the prices for the is-f brakes and the fsport brakes, and see how much more expensive f sport is. f sport has directional (from what i know), 2 piece rotors. if instead of 61k, people see 63k on the is-f, that wouldn't look good right? (as if we don't have enough people saying the is-f is too expensive)

^^ Henry..

I really don't think it cost THAT much more to flip the drill hole pattern on the CNC machine before a run of rotors are made..
It would just be a flipped or mirrored pattern re-program.

I mean if Brembo cuts 5,000 rotors (front) one way..

It doesn't take much to flip the pattern a 2,500 and drill the other 2,500 in the other direction..

Just my opinion..

Jz

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-25-08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
It's because of the drilled holes that make the rotors look non-directional. The rotors on the ISF are, in fact, NOT directional and it's obvious by the cross drilling. Look at the left side, then look at the right side. The cross drilled holes are going in opposite directions.
Right.. we covered that extensively here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=341928
Old 04-25-08, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
key word in your post is "look". the drilled holes look directional doesn't mean the rotors are directional. the veins inside are the key, and they are NOT directional. those holes "going in different" direction, that's just a visual thing
Old 04-25-08, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know the exact answer joe, but are you sure the holes are drilled? as far as i know, that's very bad ideas, and that should NOT be the way to make rotors.

the rotors should be cast with the holes in them already, that's how you maintain the strengths. drill a plain rotors can affect the structure of the rotors.

and from my understanding, brembo GT kits and ap racing rotors, those holes are there from casting already?
Old 04-25-08, 12:39 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

We can always call Brembo.....

I'm just going with what Lexus provides us.. from the Official Lexus Tech Sheet...

Originally Posted by Lexus IS-F Tech Data on Brakes

Type
Four-wheel power-assisted disc brakes (Brembo manufactured for Lexus) [3] with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [12]

Front
14.2-in. drilled rotors with six-piston opposed aluminum calipers, drilled and ventilated discs, 1.2 in. thickness, high-friction brake pads [3]

Rear
13.6-in. drilled rotors with two-piston opposed aluminum calipers, drilled and ventilated discs, 1.1 in. thickness, high-friction brake pads [3]

[3] High-friction brakes are standard equipment for the front brakes only and require periodic inspection and measurement as outlined in the Warranty and Services Guide. The pads and rotors are expected to experience greater wear than conventional brakes. Pad life may be less than 20,000 miles, and brake rotor life may be less than 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions.

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-25-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 12:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
I agree the brakes are fine, buy why didn't lexus go 4 piston on the back...
read up brake biasing. Without proper brake biasing you can actually increase stopping distances even with a big brake upgrade. The key is to apply just enough braking force on each wheel to maximize your tires braking potential.

Tires contain the vast majority of your cars braking potential
Old 04-25-08, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joe Z
We can always call Brembo.....

I'm just going with what Lexus provides us.. from the Official Lexus Tech Sheet...
yup i know what you mean joe, but that's just a way to describe them. even the brembo gt and ap racing brakes, the rotors are called drilled as well.

but from my understanding of building brakes, having a plain rotors and then drill, that's a big no no
Old 04-25-08, 02:56 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Looks like Brembo GT is drilled.

FAQ

Are discs with cast-in-place holes better than cross-drilled discs?

Brembo has extensively studied and tested cross-drilling versus casting the holes in place and found no significant effect on performance or durability.

yup i know what you mean joe, but that's just a way to describe them. even the brembo gt and ap racing brakes, the rotors are called drilled as well.

but from my understanding of building brakes, having a plain rotors and then drill, that's a big no no
Old 04-25-08, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and i remember you said they crack just as easily?

if that's the case, meaning the rotors are drilled afterwards, then i don't know why they only have one. but for sure it's only cosmetic issue which i don't see the big deal. if anything, the functional tailpipes are more of an eye sore imho anyway
Old 04-25-08, 05:56 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Well they cracked at the track. These will be fine on the street. You just gotta watch out for cracks on the rotors. They usually will get little hairline surface cracks but I would worry and replace the friction rings if the surface cracks spread to hole-to-hole or to outer edges.

Me being the BMW M3 fanboy, I think IS-F have alot to make up but brakes wouldn't be one of the things. No one is gonna be able to push the brakes on IS-F over the limit on public street without getting arrested.

and i remember you said they crack just as easily?

if that's the case, meaning the rotors are drilled afterwards, then i don't know why they only have one. but for sure it's only cosmetic issue which i don't see the big deal. if anything, the functional tailpipes are more of an eye sore imho anyway
Old 04-25-08, 07:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Well they cracked at the track. These will be fine on the street. You just gotta watch out for cracks on the rotors. They usually will get little hairline surface cracks but I would worry and replace the friction rings if the surface cracks spread to hole-to-hole or to outer edges.

Me being the BMW M3 fanboy, I think IS-F have alot to make up but brakes wouldn't be one of the things. No one is gonna be able to push the brakes on IS-F over the limit on public street without getting arrested.
good info there, and i whole heartedly agree!
Old 04-25-08, 09:35 PM
LexFather

I just read a review in I think 0-60 and they said teh brakes were the best part of the car.
Old 04-26-08, 11:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words - see below. AFA "bigger" being better - that's total crap. You want (from a pure performance perspective) the smallest lightest brake that will withstand the amount of heat needed to shed at the track you are running. Anything more increases unsprung weight and overall weight - and even if there is a minimum weight for the car, lighter is better because you can rearrange your ballast weights to make the car handle better.

Lexus went way beyond what is necessary for good brakes on the IS-F. Also, the discs are fundamentally different from the IS350 - the vane type (see below) is completely different, and therefore no directionality is necessary. Personally, I think they'd have done us all a favor if they'd left out the cosmetic holes, but they're trying to appeal to their market studies which show ordinary people still believe drilled looks better and performs better (despite practical experience in motorsports indicating exactly the opposite.)
Attached Thumbnails IS-F Brakes-is-f-vs.-is350-brakes.jpg  
Old 04-26-08, 12:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A picture is worth a thousand words - see below. AFA "bigger" being better - that's total crap. You want (from a pure performance perspective) the smallest lightest brake that will withstand the amount of heat needed to shed at the track you are running. Anything more increases unsprung weight and overall weight - and even if there is a minimum weight for the car, lighter is better because you can rearrange your ballast weights to make the car handle better.

Lexus went way beyond what is necessary for good brakes on the IS-F. Also, the discs are fundamentally different from the IS350 - the vane type (see below) is completely different, and therefore no directionality is necessary. Personally, I think they'd have done us all a favor if they'd left out the cosmetic holes, but they're trying to appeal to their market studies which show ordinary people still believe drilled looks better and performs better (despite practical experience in motorsports indicating exactly the opposite.)
Wow very insightful information. Thanks!

Quick Reply: IS-F Brakes